PDA

View Full Version : Tingling in Toes

BC_MoM
04-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Hi all. I am a participant in a diabetes research study and we are at the stage where we exercise for 6 months. The majority of the time we are running (walking every 5 mins or so for 1 min).

When we get back and after stretching, I get a tingling feeling in my toes. Does anyone know what might be causing this? I meant to ask our trainer/doctor who is conducting the study, but he was in a hurry when leaving today and I didn't get a chance to ask him.

caseysmom
04-10-2008, 09:45 PM
That is probably the blood circulation, I am not sure but that would be my guess. I didn't know you are diabetic, you are so young. Do you have to take insulin?

BC_MoM
04-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Actually, I'm not diabetic! LOL Both grandpa's have it, though, that is how we got into the study, because we are at high risk.

Grace
04-10-2008, 10:12 PM
I was going to say diabetic neuropathy, but then you mentioned you are not diabetic.

Paresthesia (numbness, tingling) can be caused by direct pressure on a nerve, by diabetes, vitamin deficiency, and other things as well. You need to speak to a physician for proper diagnosis.

caseysmom
04-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Actually, I'm not diabetic! LOL Both grandpa's have it, though, that is how we got into the study, because we are at high risk.
Oh good you are too young for that. Diabetice doesn't run in my family but I am fat and not getting any younger so I do worry about it.

Karen
04-10-2008, 11:56 PM
There are lots of things that might cause it - even the shape and fit of the shoes you were wearing!

RICHARD
04-11-2008, 12:44 AM
Yes, check your shoes.

My family has a history of diabetes and I have had the toe thing going too.

When you tie your shoes make sure you have plenty of room in the toes-but not enough to let your foot slide into the toe box, Plus do not tie your shoes too tightly across the ankles. Make sure your lace are tight across all the eyelets.

Freedom
04-11-2008, 07:28 AM
I had the issue, and bought a new pair of sneakers. The ones I had been wearing were . . . older. I made sure I got GOOD ones with plenty of arch support, as well as roomy and proper fit. The tingling stopped.

Cataholic
04-11-2008, 09:06 AM
There are lots of things that might cause it - even the shape and fit of the shoes you were wearing!

That was the first thing that came to my mind. I have to do some funky lace up thing with my running shoes in order to keep my toes from falling asleep. I HATE getting new running shoes because it takes me so flipping long to break them in.

I would try not only forgoing that top eyehole, but, also try to run the laces up the sides of the shoes, after the second eyehole loop at the bottom. If I keep all pressure off the top of my foot, it works best.

jackie
04-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Are you pavement running or on a treadmill/elliptical?

BC_MoM
04-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Are you pavement running or on a treadmill/elliptical?

It varies. Sometimes we use equipment, somedays we run on pavement, but yesterday we were running on grass.

I have a new pair of runners (had them about 2 weeks), and I am very picky about how they fit and how tight/loose they are, so I don't think that's the problem. Tomorrow I will see the doctor doing the study and I'll ask him.

Thanks for the input!

slleipnir
04-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Oh good you are too young for that..

My brother was 2 years old when he was diagnosed with it :( I was going to suggest something about diabetics and poor circulation but since you're not I'm not really sure :(

jackie
04-12-2008, 12:59 PM
It varies. Sometimes we use equipment, somedays we run on pavement, but yesterday we were running on grass.

I have a new pair of runners (had them about 2 weeks), and I am very picky about how they fit and how tight/loose they are, so I don't think that's the problem. Tomorrow I will see the doctor doing the study and I'll ask him.

Thanks for the input!

OK, my toes sometimes tingle after using an elliptical. When you run make sure that your foot rolls from your heal to your toes, not just on your "tippy toes" a lot of people make that mistake. I am sure it is nothing to worry about. :)