PDA

View Full Version : MICE!!! and not the kind you keep as pets!

jenluckenbach
04-08-2008, 03:00 PM
I've got mice! :eek: :mad: :(

I went into my basement today and recognized the smell IMMEDIATELY! I went hunting and found some droppings and evidence of chewing. AND I heard them squeaking. :eek: :eek: I think there might be a nest inside an old foam mattress pad I was saving. (STOOOOOPID me!)

I would have loved to just take the pad and stuff it into a big plastic garbage bag, but I was actually afraid to touch it.

So I quick went to buy some traps. (not those old fashioned, "chop their heads off" traps)

I realize that my cats never go into the basement, but it takes a lot of nerve for any sane mouse to step his little feet inside THIS house. :rolleyes: I could just release the "hounds" (so to speak), but I wouldn't want the cats to be eating any filthy mice that might have a disease.

Wish me luck.....this is something I never has to deal with before.

Reachoutrescue
04-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Oh, my. Mice are no fun...unless they are pets. We have them in our garage. We have tried humane traps but they are really smart. We had to call the village for help. I hope you can get them out safely for both you and them. I am glad you decided not to let you kitties handle the problem. Those mice more then likely have tons of viruses!! Good luck.

pitc9
04-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Ick!
Hope you can find away to get them out of the house before the cats find out about them!

caseysmom
04-08-2008, 04:14 PM
I had rats getting inside my brand new car doing damage...no fun!

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Hehe, we just found out too that we have mice in our garage & cellar!! And guess what, my cats are not interested at all :rolleyes: ;)

jenluckenbach
04-08-2008, 04:30 PM
We have tried humane traps but they are really smart.
Well, let's pray I have DUMB mice. :rolleyes:

lizbud
04-08-2008, 04:56 PM
With you having a house full of cats, I thought, how could she ever get
mice? :confused:

There is no stink like dead mouse. Good luck with the de-mousing.

Muddy4paws
04-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Good luck with getting them away. It can be so hard!

I spent a fortune on humane traps but nothing worked they used to walk in the traps eat the food then escape again lmao! :D

I found having a few of my pet rats in the shop with me stopped quite a few coming in.

Unfortunatly the place I have my shop in is over run with mouse and vermin so they can only take drastic action. I remember the exterminator trying to put down sticky pads in my shop, I went completely APE at him.

krazyaboutkatz
04-09-2008, 12:45 AM
I'm sorry to hear this and I hope you'll be able to get rid of them soon. I live on the second floor and there are 3 floors in my building. I had some mice many years ago before I had any cats. I just used the poison pellets and they ate them and left and then I made sure to block up any holes that I had under my sinks and cabinets etc. I was warned that if they died inside of my walls that it would smell but I never noticed any smell. Good luck.:)

Medusa
04-09-2008, 07:35 AM
I tried the humane way and, as someone said, the mice are too smart for it. The only thing that's ever worked for me is the little pellet boxes. The mice eat it and then leave the house to die. (Why, I do not know.) It amazes me that that the mice are too smart to eat the bait but not smart enough to stay out of a house w/so many cats. Critters! :rolleyes: Good luck.

Barbara
04-09-2008, 01:24 PM
It takes a lot of nerve for any sane mouse to step his little feet inside THIS house.

Just my thoughts :D
If you would just have a cat pass through the basement from time to time even these deaf and blind mice might learn.

cassiesmom
04-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Oh, no! Good luck!

Moesha
04-09-2008, 10:20 PM
I've been too scared to use poison pellets. I'm afraid either my cats will find them, or my cats will find the mice after they've eaten the poison. Thankfully, the only time I had mice, was when we first moved in, and my Morgan took care of that!

columbine
04-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Find out where they're getting in, and stop it up! Meanwhile, when you brush your kitties, save the fluff from the brush and scatter it around the basement.

You can also try Shake-Away rodent repellent. It's made of fox pee.

Love, Columbine

jenluckenbach
04-15-2008, 06:21 PM
I managed to catch 3 mice and get rid of the one large piece of foam they were living in.

Now I just have to figure out if there are more and where they got in.