PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY - tangle free grooming of Cole! :-D B4 & After #18

Catty1
04-08-2008, 12:02 AM
I was at The Cat House today, and while I was browsing, I thought I would see if there were any grooming aids that would help Cole's fur. Like a lot of longhaired cats, he can get dry ends.

I found a Bio-Groom Anti-Stat spray - it's for dogs and cats.

Part of the instructions said to "spray lightly on the coat" - that part must be for dogs! LOL

BUT turning my back to Cole, spritzing the brush, and then using it immediately worked really well. And wow - instant no tangles!

His fur is less "tufty" and he looks great. I'll use it a couple of more times. I don't even pull as much fur out because there of fewer wee tangles! I can even use a slicker comb on him afterwards! :)

Label says it is non-sticky, non-toxic and non-irritating to eyes and skin. It won't alter the colour or texture of the coat.

www.biogroom.com They have dog, cat, ferret and equine & cattle products.

It's listed here under "Dog Finishers" lol:http://www.biogroom.com/imagebank/index.htm

Medusa
04-08-2008, 07:21 AM
I wonder if this would help Pidge. She's the only cat who acts as though she's being killed when I groom her. As she's gotten older, (she's 18 now) she hates being fussed with at all and she knocks the brush out of my hand so many times that I usually only get a few strokes in. Plus she bites. Her fur clumps tightly and close to the skin in different spots; it isn't surface clumps that could easily be brushed out w/the Furminator. Last time it was her hindquarters and I had to have them shaved because she refused to allow me to brush there at all. This time it's on top of her back, which is unusual, because that's the one area I can usually get a few swipes in. It's almost as though she's molting or something; it feels so weird beneath all the fur. When she goes to the vet, I'm embarrassed because I feel the necessity to explain why her coat looks the way it does. I don't want the staff to think I neglect her.

columbine
04-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Smudge was tufty-tangly when he moved in, but after the vet put him on 3V caps (a fish oil supplement; I suspect he considers it "special sauce") for his skin problems, his fur got much healthier and easier to brush. He enjoys being brushed now, although he expresses his pleasure by pacing and winding around my ankles, so I'm kind of half brushing, half chasing. I think he's trying to help me stretch out my back muscles...

I brush him with a "Shed-N-Blade" and then follow with a slicker brush to pick up the loose fluff. Spring is here - he's a walking fluffstorm!

Love, Columbine

Catty1
04-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Cole gets his full complement of Omega 3 - 6 every day, as does Oscar. His fur, especially at the ends, is very fine and can be dry.

He looks way better - and I couldn't believe how well the stuff worked. I was even able to put a wide-tooth slicker comb through his fur afterwards.

It was $10.00 for my bottle, Mary - so couldn't hurt to try. If Pidge doesn't like stuff being sprayed on her (non-aerosol), then spritzing the brush works really well.

Cole loses less fur during a grooming now.

Medusa
04-08-2008, 07:06 PM
It's called Omega 3-6? I just need to ask my vet for it?

Jessika
04-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Well of course we need before and after pictures as proof ;)

critters
04-09-2008, 06:23 AM
Hmm. Mosby has the longest hair in the house (which is saying something!), and it's baby-fine. He doesn't bathe, and he's a house feral who won't let me brush or comb him. He gets TERRIBLE mats that peel his skin off until it's warm enough to shave him bald. Do you think it might help him?

Catty1
04-09-2008, 09:53 AM
To answer all the questions - for $10, it's worth trying! I think drier areas like mine call for a little extra help.

Mary, ask your vet. There are capsules for cats - but as I have two larger kitties *ahem* they get the pump style in their wet food. One pump per day for a medium dog = two healthy kitties!

I mix it in their wet food - I had to also mix in a bit of stinky food at first, but now I don't have to do that. :)

catmandu
04-09-2008, 04:06 PM
That Sure Would Have Helped Mr Fluffy And Moose Angels Who Were Fairly Long Haired.
The Rest Of The Cats Are Short Haired And Are A Lot Easier To Handle. We Hope That Coles Grooming Goes A Lot Easier Now!!!!

phesina
04-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Thanks, Candace. That sounds like a great product. I'm going to see if I can find some of it around here.

I did find a mail-order place on line, Jeffers Pet, that has it for $4.95 a 12-oz. bottle... plus $6.95 shipping!

Catty1
04-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Pat - I found another online site that has the same price - I just went there to get a pic to post!

http://www.showdogstore.com/productimages/DogCat_Specialty_AntiStat.jpg

Medusa
04-10-2008, 11:27 AM
To answer all the questions - for $10, it's worth trying! I think drier areas like mine call for a little extra help.

Mary, ask your vet. There are capsules for cats - but as I have two larger kitties *ahem* they get the pump style in their wet food. One pump per day for a medium dog = two healthy kitties!

I mix it in their wet food - I had to also mix in a bit of stinky food at first, but now I don't have to do that. :)
I just got off the phone w/my vet's office and he's sending me some by UPS for free. How nice of him, huh? So I'll give it a whirl and let you know how it works for sweet Pidgie Pie.

Catty1
04-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Mary, you have such a great vet! Do let me know how it works for dear Pidge! :)

phesina
04-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks, Candace. I just went to Show Dog Store's site to check that out. I found that they require a minimum order of $20.00 (which would take 4 of the sprays, because 3 @ $6.95 is $19.80), and the shipping would be another $10.96!

I'm checking to see if one of the pet supply stores around here has it. If I can't find it locally, then I'll order one from Jeffers. It definitely sounds worth trying!

This would be great for some of the longer-haired or otherwise matted-up cats, especially the elderly ones, at the shelter, if it works as well for them as it has for Cole. Thanks so much, Candace!

Pat - I found another online site that has the same price - I just went there to get a pic to post!

http://www.showdogstore.com/productimages/DogCat_Specialty_AntiStat.jpg

Catty1
04-11-2008, 02:35 AM
BTW - someone mentioned a before and after photo. I'll have to wait til the sun is out again...and when Cole is in a similar pose to one of his other pictures. The sun shows his fur in more detail.

Sooo....when the snow stops....lol

Gin
04-12-2008, 08:35 PM
This sounds like just the thing for Sassy. His fur is long and fine and prone to tangles. And the poor cat hates being groomed. I'm going to try both the spray and the Omega 3-6. How many milligrams of the Omega 3-6 do you give cats? Sassy weighs about 16 lbs.

Thanks, Catty1!

phesina
04-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Candace, I've found a few similar products in some local pet stores but not that particular one, so I just ordered it online from Jeffers Pet (http://www.jefferspet.com/).

Since you and Cole are so happy with the Bio-Groom, I thought I'd do our first trial with that, then see if I might want to consider something else (or order a whole lot of them from Jeffers!).

I'll let you all know how well it does for my cats and the shelter's cats.

Catty1
04-15-2008, 11:04 PM
Several before and after pics. Not only did the grooming spray make a difference - but I bought a neat brush for Cole at last weekend's Pet Expo, and it has a shedding blade. Holy cow! In two minutes I had enough fur to knit a kitten! :D

Tried to find a before shot or two that were similar in pose an lighting to his "after" shots.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/Candace_1956/April%2008/P3300040.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/Candace_1956/April%2008/P4020048.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/Candace_1956/Cole/P6260014.jpg

After:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/Candace_1956/April%2008/P4130010.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/Candace_1956/April%2008/P4130012.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/Candace_1956/April%2008/P4130015.jpg

Okay - now have to click Submit and see if these work...at least he now has a real ruff, and it is pretty! (not visible in photos) :)

ETA - the last picture shows the "after" really well...smooth coat! :)

GILL
04-16-2008, 12:10 PM
For a quick fix. We have been giving our Coons a little olive oil with thier food. I use a fabric sofener dryer pad wiped over the brush to help control static and smooth tangles. When Bart came to us he had extermly large mats and tangles, now after about 9 weeks most are gone. the largest will wait untill they get 1/4 - 1/2 inch from his skin too be cut off. Right now his fur is soft and shinny. He gets a light brushing in the morning and more in the evening.
I think I might try the grooming spray, but most of our kids do not like sprays.

Catty1
04-16-2008, 01:54 PM
Hi, GILL - a while back someone suggested the dryer sheets, but I was paranoid about my guys licking off the chemicals. Just a mom who worries too much!

Neither Cole nor Oscar - or any sensible cat I know - likes being sprayed. :) So I use the brush the way you do - I stand close to one of the cats, but turn so the spray doesn't hit them and spritze the brush instead. Works fine - so does a wide tooth slicker comb.

Mats are a PAIN, aren't they? Cole had some around his....er....underams?...that the vet had to trim off, so I try and keep that area brushed too.

GILL
04-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Our problem is if they even hear the spray from the next room. It amazes me that 10 cats can disappear in a house, every one just vanishes. It could be that our method of crowd control is swart bottles. So as soon as one hears a SSSSS they know someone’s in trouble.

Catty1
04-16-2008, 08:09 PM
LOL. If you were renting and had a nasty landlord, just one hiss of compressed air before the visit and you would have "NO cats, really. The neighbours were lying." ;)

kimlovescats
04-17-2008, 01:47 AM
Candace, Cole is gorgeous before and after but I do see the difference in the last picture! :)