PDA

View Full Version : 919-741-6730

moosmom
04-05-2008, 01:22 PM
I've been getting calls from this number on my cellphone at all hours of the night. No one says anything. I googled the number and you wouldn't BELIEVE the number of complaints there!!! I called T-Mobile to see if the call can be blocked and they said that the cellphone I have now doesn't have that capability. I CAN, however, buy a "Samsung Blaster" that does have the capability. It'd cost me $149. Or, I can wait until December and get a really good deal on it when I renew my contract.

Has anyone else here been getting calls from this number? I'd be curious to know. It is VERY annoying!!

Jessika
04-05-2008, 01:29 PM
T-Mobile is full of BS, they completely have the capability to block certain numbers from calling you, especially due to harassment, and no you do not have to "buy" a special phone just to do it. Now sometimes you have to have a court order, and those details I am unsure of.

moosmom
04-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Jessika,

The number I typed is wrong...it's 919-741-6730.

kuhio98
04-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Donna ~ Could you go back and edit the title of this thread to indicate the correct number? I would hate for people to dial the wrong number and badger this poor woman. :(

Now, if they want to call the correct number and badger that person, I'm all for it. ;)

OOPS! You must have been doing that as I was posting. Thanks!

Ginger's Mom
04-05-2008, 01:38 PM
The revised number is a Verizon Wireless cell phone out of Raleigh, NC.
Maybe you should file a complaint with Verizon Wireless (personally, I have found Verizon Wireless to be one of the better cell phone companies to deal with on a professional level, so it may do some good).

moosmom
04-05-2008, 01:48 PM
I'm filing a formal complaint with the Raleigh Police Department. I already called them and they're going to call back and take a statement.

When I went into free reverse phone numbers, and got the same thing, Ginger's Mom. Let's see what happens.

cassiesmom
04-05-2008, 01:59 PM
My dad just got a T-Mobile cellie a few weeks ago. He had 5 or 6 wrong number calls yesterday -- he called T-Mobile to see if they could deduct those calls from his bill.

kittycats_delight
04-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Donna I just did a search and it seems that is number is originating from a pc. It seems they are using a program that does this kind of thing. For what purposes who knows. But it seems this same number is called a load of people all over the United States and Canada at all hours of the night and day. I hope the police can track down where or from whom it is coming.

moosmom
04-05-2008, 02:03 PM
I hope the police can track down where or from whom it is coming.

Yeah, me too!! It'd be nice to be able to sleep THROUGH the night again! :p

dukedogsmom
04-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Before I switched to Verizon, I was getting annoying long messages about campaigning. Since I've switched to Verizon, I don't have that. It seems they were coming from a company paid to do that and since it involved campaigning, they were somehow exempt from the do not call list :rolleyes:

Jessika, you may want to remove that info from your post, too.

moosmom
04-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Val,

I was just going to suggest to Jessika the same thing. I'd hate to have this poor woman inundated with unwanted phone calls. :rolleyes:

Catty1
04-05-2008, 08:55 PM
PCs can be set up with programs that fax/dial all night to a preset calling or faxing list.

Verizon would have to know who it is! Will the police call them or do the people who are getting the calls have to do it?

Catty1
04-05-2008, 09:05 PM
ETA: oovoo.com Feedback Page: http://www.oovoo.com//about/feedback.aspx

Some links on this number. I googled "Verizon" followed by the phone number, and got four results.

The first result was THIS THREAD! lol

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/9197416730

From that link:
ZAD-Man is right

THIS IS THE DEFAULT NUMBER FOR A VIDEO CHAT SOFTWARE CALLED OOVOO.COM

There is a bit of info here...aside from a troll in three comments, it seems a place to report the number: http://whocalled.us/lookup/9197416730

ramanth
04-05-2008, 09:41 PM
I've been getting an "Unlisted" number calling me all the time (not overnight thankfully). An "800" number too. I just ignore it. They never leave a voicemail.

I never answer if it's a number I don't know. I just turn off the ringer and let them leave a message if they want.

moosmom
04-05-2008, 09:47 PM
The Raleigh PD called me back while I was on my way to work. The officer took all the information and gave me a case number and a phone number to call next week to see who the detective on the case is. This is gonna be interesting.

Catty1
04-05-2008, 10:02 PM
LOL. Check out the blog below this article in Laptop Magazine on February 6, and note the phrase "prank away". :rolleyes:

http://blog.laptopmag.com/oovoo-15-in-the-wild-hands-on-with-the-newest-version

I clicked on the name "Katie" and was redirected to a PR type of site, Abraham Harrison.

So Abraham H., LapTop mag, oovoo all got emails informing them of the abuse. If the first company is their marketing company, they would be REALLY concerned about bad press!

And everybody got everybody else's links, if you can follow that.

I would think oovoo would have to give the IP addresses of people from whom these calls originate if the police ask for them...or at least provide a way for people to trace the IP address.

Will be interesting to see what the cops come up with, Donna!

moosmom
04-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Candace,

Yeah really.

dukedogsmom
04-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Love this one!

"bite me Says:

March 20th, 2008 at 10:23 pm
Hey Katie, Maybe you should let us know your work and home numbers so you can get offensive calls at all hours of the day and night.
yeah… spread the word…"
Here's what I got when I did a who is check for oovoo.

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
Avissar, Oren
ooVoo LLC
44 East 30th Street,
12th Floor
New York, NY 10016
US
212.792.8280 fax: 212-984-0612

And this is for Abraham and Harrison
Administrative Contact:
Abraham, Chris
Abraham Harrison LLC
PO Box 15163
Washington, District of Columbia 20003
United States
2026574063 Fax -- 2023305724

Hmmmmm, different stuff for myoovooday.com

Administrative Contact:
Robertson, Philip
ooVoo
100 Park Avenue
16th floor
New York, New York 10017
United States
2129841003 Fax --

moosmom
04-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Hmmmm, I wonder if I should call and threaten them with going to the police???

K9karen
04-05-2008, 11:16 PM
Yeah, me too!! It'd be nice to be able to sleep THROUGH the night again! :p

While you wait for action, why don't you put your cell BACK in the hamper???? :p :p :p :p :p :D :D

DJFyrewolf36
04-05-2008, 11:18 PM
It will be interesting to find out what the police uncover. Ive gotten a call a couple of times from this number. I never answer and they dont leave a message. Ive gotten a couple from a Texas number too doing the same thing. :mad: Its bad enough when they bug us with live people...this automated thing is even worse!

Catty1
04-06-2008, 12:59 AM
Actually, the Abraham Harrison folks got an email from me.

As did LapTop Magazine (where that one Katie blog is), and oovoo got one on their Feedback form.

I think adding a few faxes to the mix would be good! :D

moosmom
04-06-2008, 01:09 PM
While you wait for action, why don't you put your cell BACK in the hamper????

Oh aren't we the funny one!!! But ya know, you may have something there! :rolleyes:

smokey the elder
04-07-2008, 07:33 AM
I keep a landline because of my satellite disk, and primarily use that. Recently I got caller ID. I'll watch for this number. I keep getting ones from a Michigan area code who never leave a message. I never thought to try the reverse lookup; I might do that next time they call.

Cincy'sMom
04-07-2008, 01:28 PM
I never answer if it's a number I don't know. I just turn off the ringer and let them leave a message if they want.

Only problem with that could be if you enter a contest...

When I won my trip to Miami, they called and were not leaving messages. Each week they drew 10 names, and if person #1 didn't answer, they went on down the list. I answered becuase it was a Michigan number (313) area code. I may not have it had been an 800 #.

Of the 9 people selected, only 1 person was the first name drawn that week.
Just something to consider!

moosmom
04-07-2008, 02:05 PM
The detective called me this afternoon and told me what's going on. Evidentally, the phone number goes to a server where the phone call is directed to whatever "free" phone call the dialer has dialed. He spoke to the Director of Operations of a company called Oovoo. The guy wanted to speak to me.

He was very apologetic and explained exactly what was happening. I told him I was more annoyed than anything else, given the hour of the calls, and the vileness of them.

This company is in the process of offering "free long distance calling". Whackjobs are signing up and calling all OVER the effing world!! The phone call that pops up is Oovoo's server, so you can't call it back.

He told me next month they are going to start charging subscriptions and also cancelling the free calling.

At least now I have an explanation. I thought, "Hmmmmm, class-action suit anyone????"

KYS
04-07-2008, 03:30 PM
That is so annoying.
At least now you have an explanation.
Something similar is happening to my sister.
She has Verizon and she gets calls at all hours of the pm/am, sometimes 10 minutes apart. Verizon said they could not block the number, but they told her how to set her particular phone to mute when a call comes from that
number. I personally would be livid since I only have a minimum amount of minutes on my cell phone and get charged after that.

Catty1
04-07-2008, 05:40 PM
I had a reply email from oovoo.com today:

Your support request has been addressed.
Comment(s):

Hi Candace,

Thanks for contacting ooVoo.

We are looking into this issue and we appreciate this information.

Best Regards,
ooVoo Customer Support

ramanth
04-07-2008, 05:45 PM
I rarely enter contests but that is a good point Amy. :)

At the moment Fitness USA has been calling trying to get me to renew my contract. I've already told them I not interested, but obviously they don't get the hint.

moosmom
04-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Candace,

When the detective called Oovoo and introduced himself, the person on the line knew EXACTLY why he was calling and said, "Oh yeah, hold on."

Hopefully, the calls will stop. At least I know which number NOT to answer. I also don't answer "Unknown" calls either. So for any of you who try to call me, make sure your "name block" is off.

Catlady711
04-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Ok being the ever skeptical and private person that I am with my personal info including cell phone number....

Do all you guys that have these calls on your cell pones give out your numbers when you: write checks, enter contests, sign up for anything, buy things, or do any of you text in a vote on 'whatever' type things? :confused:

Those are GUARANTEED way's of getting spam calls using up your cell phone minutes.

When I write checks I give them my old, no longer in service home phone number. (they have my correct addy they don't need my phone number)

When I buy things I only give out my cell phone number if it requires a call back to say schedule a delivery or something, and only with local companies. I stress to them it's not my phone and to only use the number if necessary. (it is my phone but they don't need to know that)

I don't EVER text anything/anyone other than my friends and family. Not for voting on things, or entering contests or for any reason. Texting is the same as handing out your phone number to big corporations.

I have my cell phone number on the do not call list.

I've had a cell phone for about 5 years and have never had a probem with spam sales calls. I might get one odd call once a month and it's usually a wrong number, not a spam/sales call.

Catty1
04-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Donna - hmmm, how funny the guy knew JUST who the cop should talk to! lol

I am assuming their marketing company was the one I contacted also, so they might have picked up the phone and called oovoo, their client!

Everyone I emailed got ALL the links - and got to read all the furious responses....I think the PT one was the only thread without any naughty words! :D

I hope they pull the plug on this free trial RIGHT NOW. The people who signed up for legitimate reasons will understand. The pranksters will lose.

smokey the elder
04-08-2008, 07:47 AM
I think ooVoo bloo it big time... :rolleyes:

moosmom
04-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Believe it or not, yesterday I got a telemarketing call. It was one of those automated ones where the only thing you can do is hang up. I'm on the do-not-call list and that's one way of getting around it, I guess. :mad: :mad: :mad: That ticks me off.