PDA

View Full Version : Cat Breeds

nancys
04-05-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm wondering if different cat breeds have different personalities. For instance, are striped cats always friendly and loving? And what breed of cat are they?

Jessika
04-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Well a lot of "breeds" people think about like Calicos, Tabby, Orangies, those aren't breeds, just coat patterns. The most common "breed" of cat (like what you'll find in the shelters, the term basically for a "mixed cat") is a Domestic Long/Medium/Short Haired.

As far as personalities associated with BREEDS, like Siamese, Persians, etc, I believe so. I know Siamese (in my experiences) have been rather... grouchy, and attach themselves to only one person and really never get along with anyone else. But really I think its by individual cat and not necessarily as a "breed" too, but mostly I only have experiences with DSH and such... and you have a WIIIDE array of personalities from them because it's just a big melting pot of purrrsonalities :)

moosmom
04-05-2008, 01:57 PM
I have two Sphynxes (hairless cats) and their personalities are totally different from my "haired" cats. I don't think it's so much the "breeds" as it is the cat's individual personalities.

catmandu
04-05-2008, 05:06 PM
The only breed I can speak to is the Siamese, actually the Siamese and Balinese. They are mote talkative that most Cats and always want to be where the action is.
Oh yes Miquelito and Pouncierge are Oriental Shorthairs so they are not quite as talkative but they are very active.
Of course they are still big kittens , so that may be the reason too!!!

Medusa
04-06-2008, 07:54 AM
I have to agree w/Gary on this one. Coco Puff, my Siamese, has got to have his nose in everything and he's quite vocal about it, too. I'm not really educated on the subject of breeds, so I can't speak w/authority. What I can say is that each of my cats is different in personality. Yodie, a tortie, is a big mouth; Pidgie, part tortie and Maine Coone, is a sweetheart; Boo, a short hair blackie, is the man; Creamsicle, a short hair orangie, is a lovey; Specs, a Maine Coone, is a sissy; Puddy, a calico, is the terminator, and RB Peeka, a tuxie, was the Queen, very quiet but assertive. Each has a way of asserting and expressing themselves that is totally different. None behaves like the other.

jenluckenbach
04-06-2008, 09:21 AM
I would have to say that breeds (and color/patterns) tend to have similar personalities, just like dog breeds. You are likely to find a particular trait within a particular breed. But with that said, each and every cat WILL differ. Nothing is a guarentee.

nancys
04-08-2008, 05:34 PM
I asked about cat personalities because Stripe and little Stripe the kitten act alike. I don't know if it's because they are both striped or because as I said Stripe is little Stripe's father.
All my cats have different personalities too.
Buttermilk is the babysitter - last nite he had two of the kittens up by him, giving them a bath and taking good care of them. He does not like being held.
Monster and Mollie June are the timid ones. They don't like leaving home and are very scared when they have to.
Farmboy & Stripe are the cuddly babies.
Maggie is just aloof. The world is on her terms.

I love them all though.

Jessika
04-08-2008, 06:02 PM
It probably has a lot to do with genetics and how they are raised/their environment :)

Crazy-Cat-Lover
04-08-2008, 10:46 PM
I recently found this article on Messy Beast and thought it was really cool...

Is Coat Color Linked to Temperament? (http://www.messybeast.com/colour-tempment.htm)

I have four kitties, and each of them are very unique. According to that article, this is what describes my four.

Amadeus

Red Tabby

Quiet, docile and affectionate; excellent ratters and mousers.

Sebastian

Brown Tabby

Quiet, courteous, docile and faithful, but at the same time were hardy and courageous.

Theodore

Black Shorthair

Clown-like delight in "entertaining its owner with gymnastic tricks and enthusiastic affection".

Augustus

Colorpoint

Gentle, spirited but not demonstrative.

KitCat
04-09-2008, 11:37 AM
My Siamese is very loving, more to me than my husband. He is also very smart!