PDA

View Full Version : Hey Kelly! (Noah's Mommy)

dukedogsmom
04-05-2008, 11:54 AM
How are you doing? Haven't seen you here in a while. I hope things are still going good for you.

Catsnclay
04-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Yeah, I would like to hear from you too!!!

What did you buy at Bed, Bath & Beyond????? :D

Hope all is well with you!

rg_girlca
04-06-2008, 09:59 PM
I think about you often Kelly and would also like to know how you and your precious kitties are doing.

Hope to hear from you soon.

NoahsMommy
04-08-2008, 12:16 AM
Hello my LOVES!!! :)

I'm doing OK. My plans back in February as far as job/keeping most of my settlement for savings, etc, has changed due to a medium severity Crohn's flair. It pretty much is just finally getting over...I was feeling pretty good this weekend and then today I was good until I started getting ready for my monthly pain doctor appointment. It turned out to be a "BAD day" for me pain-wise...but now I'm much better.

Lets see. Since my last post regarding my very own little soap opera ( ;) ), I informed you all that I was let go from CyberTouch. Not really given an actual reason, just, "We will no longer require your services". Its a real, real long story and to make it short and sweet with a happy outcome, I didn't have to quit a utterly horrid job with even worse co-workers and management, they did me the favor of making me eligible for unemployment which helps so that I can find a job and finish up my Phlebotomy externship (more on this later), take my exams and then be a Class II Phlebotomist. Yay! ;)

*Note: FYI, my boss is the president and CEO of the company*

That was March 4th, at about 5:00 p.m. (pacific standard time), "that" being the letting go of my services. (Do I get to go too? doh!) Long story trying to get to the point that matters is, earlier that day I recieved a text message from my boss asking if I was still working for CyberTouch. I thought this to be odd considering I and my doctors provided him and HR with "get outta work cause she's trying to make balloon animals with her small intestines" (Sorry, I know that's kinda gross.) with dates of my return. I would also call him and the office daily (...or less when he understood I would be out the week...) keeping them updated, offering to come in for even an hour or two just to help out, etc, etc, etc.

I was FLOORED when he said (on Thursday, March 4th) that he hadn't heard (nor had anyone in the entire company) from my or my doctor since the Tuesdat prior!! WHAT??? I have phone records and text messages (<-- while not as professional as a phone call, he didn't need to hear me getting sick every 20 seconds, he agreed - it was a preferred form of communication for the both of us.) Explaining EVERYTHING I was doing each day on an out/patient basis and when or when not to expect me. He responded fairly caring and concerned. BTW, this whole time, he thinks I have a serious case of gastritis (I probably did) and that my team of doctors were doing a lot more tests to see why I was staying so ill. He was VERY MUCH aware of when I was coming in and when I wasnt. BOTH of my doctors sent him a note each week with a very basic status update and how many days or hours they felt I could work.

I didn't NOT work. I would come in and work until I was about to get sick and then go home. One week I survived the entire work week, even 1/2 hour of overtime! Woohoo! ;) Back to what I did do while trying not to be admitted....I even discussed doing my job from home - maintaining and creating all he need can be done anywhere. He was all gung ho, and then shut down.

OK, I tried to keep it short and I didn't I'm sorry. :(

Ever since March 5th, I've been trying to get my phlebotomy externship (drawing blood in a hospital, medical practice or lab) done as now is the perfect time without WORK getting in the way. Its a 1- or 2-week committment (M-F), I've chosen and externship that lasts for 2 weeks. Its pretty much 8 to 5 in the beginning and then depending if you're interning in a hospital or a lab, I'll get to work a few late night/early morning shifts waking up patients in their beds to be their own personal dracula! :cool:

Its been set up twice and twice I've had to ask to reschedule. :( First time, I barely pulled over on the freeway in time to get sick. The second time, I thought spending all that time in bed would help, yea, no. Felt even worse.

I've seen my doctors so much lately, I feel as though they're my family! I'm lucky to have good ones, finally. They finally convinced me to try a low-dose, 7-day pack of steriods. You all know my "fondness" for steriods (prednisone). I fought and fought and it was either take the 7-day LOW dose Solu-Medrol (which is prednisilone, NOT prednisone) or go get admitted for who knows how long. Guess which one I picked? ;) Each time I went to see my docs, they gave me injections of anti-inflammatories like this Solu-Medrol or Toridol (sp?).

I got better enough to start my intern/externship and found out my school was on Spring Break which meant my liasion couldn't set anything up for me because it was her break too.

This liasion, Darren, matches the students with the facility (Kaiser's larger hospital in Woodland Hills, CA, a few small Kaiser urgent care and large doctor groups and then also the draw stations - labs, like Quest Diagnostics, etc.) of thier choosing. Some students pick places because they are close to home - I think about 85% of them do that. I chose going to Kaiser, Woodland Hills because I know its going to be a HUGE challenge. Its also going to offer me the skills I never, ever would have learned at a draw station where seeing 10 patients in one day (remember, this facility is ONLY for drawing blood) is a busy day! At the Kaiser hospital I'll be at, I've heard there are usually 60 patients to be drawn on an hour - and these are the walk-in public with a doctors order. That 60 (on a normal to slow day) does NOT count the ER patients, the surgery patients, the hospital patients and whatever other LAB test that are ordered for certain patients (ie: blood test taken quite freqently for people that take blood thinners - a PTT and APPT, or those lovely glucose tolerance tests you get to take if your doc thinks you have some problems with insilin, or along the same lines, the pregnant women who have to come in to drink their 100 ml of glucose and SIT there for 4 hours. That '60' doesn't count ANY of those patients!)

See why I chose it? Yea, it'll take me about 1 hr to get there and about 2 to get home, but its only for two weeks and I like my talk radio and then singing to the songs on my iPod.

Because of the gargantuan difference between students that intern at Kaiser Woodland Hills and the other, slower doctors offices or draw stations (which can abosolutely be very busy), we get a special certificate and anyone who looks at where i got my training would aparently put my resume above the rest because they know what I've learned and how. Another SUPER COOL thing about intering at this hospital...I get to observe an arterial draw. This is a draw, meaning someone takes blood from the patients artery instead of the much safer, smaller veins. Arteries are larger and have A LOT of pressure behind them, so whoever preforms an arterial draw must have a lot of experience at stopping bleeding, etc. From what I remember, this is usually a Class III Phlebotomist, an RN or other medical professional. A hospital is the only way for us to observe an arterial draw - a requirement for our exams.

So....I'm finally feeling better, but just very slowly. I have my 'unemployment' interview on the 14th between 10:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m., but my paperwork says my claim is continuing. Hmmm, I wonder why....is it because I keep getting fired for my health!?!?! You'll ALL be happy to know that I'm looking into disability...even if its partial. I'm planning an arsenal of questions to ask my interviewer in hopes they can help me, or at least direct me correctly.

I'll keep you updated on all that fun stuff.

Not much else is going on. I'm real boring these days, just trying to stay well and get back on the horse again. I do actually feel something inside me (in my heart? my head? my stomach???) getting stronger. In the sense that my body and my mind are finally meeting and working together to deal with the attacks and then get on with it and get to where I want to be. Its taken a while, but I know that there is no way I would have gotten there without the AMAZING support and love from you all. And God been there too....that "Footprints in the Sand" poem seems to ring true for me sometimes. He brings us things that He knows we can accomplish, with His help. I truly can do ANYTHING with God's help and the love and support of my Pet Talk family and I'll be forever grateful. You are all the family I would have chosen...by FAR!

Speaking of family...I LOVE it when I don't live under her roof. Our relationship goes back so nicely to adult daughter - adult mother and I'm really happy about it. She's respecting my space, my decisions, ect. Finally. Despite the stress and all that, I believe that everything she's done in regards to me came from a good place with good intentions. Even if I don't agree with them, well, who cares....if we were all the same life would sure be boring!! I'm just REALLY glad to be back on my own with my 4 little fur angels - oh, and with my roommate and her bunny, "Darling" too. :)

Kristin (my roommate) and I have a lot in common with the dynamics of our family life and things we deal with daily. Its nice that I'm not the only person with an adult parent that says and does the stuff she does...and can listen to Kristin tell similair tales too. I know its probably not the most 'happy' of conversations, but it truly helps to talk to people who know how you feel sometimes.

Anyway, I've about written my first PT novel...and it wasn't about much at all. I'm sorry guys.

I'm going to try and get online with Kristin's laptop until I can afford mine. She's been really great about it. After all, I AM paying for 1/2 the DSL or cable line or whatever it is we have. ha ha, joking, I don't think that way. Its so nice of her to let me use her computer whenever I need/want it. This is kind of a new development, so you'll see more of me now.

OK, ending this.......NOW!

Love you all!!!!

krazyaboutkatz
04-08-2008, 12:45 AM
Kelly, I'm glad to hear that you're starting to feel better and that you're able to post here again.:) I'm sorry to hear that you lost your job but it sounds like you didn't like it there any way. It's their loss.

I hope that your phlebotomy externship will go well and I know that you'll be the star pupil.:) I'm glad that everything is going well with your roommate and furkids too. I wish you the best. Please take care.

NoahsMommy
04-08-2008, 12:54 AM
Yeah, I would like to hear from you too!!!

What did you buy at Bed, Bath & Beyond????? :D

Hope all is well with you!

:o Doh! You asked, I delivered! Now can't get me to shut up! ha ha :D

YES! I had lots of fun shopping at Bed, Bath & Beyond! :) Lets see....

I got:

1) A cute and comfy new eye mask that is fushia satin and embroidered in black says, "Peace At Last" :) (I cannot sleep without them so whenever I find cute ones, I MUST have it!)

2) A gorgeous square glass candle made by Colonial at Home in the EXACT shade of blue/pale teal that has such a nice, peaceful and refreshing scent.

3) I've ALWAYS wanted matching hangers! (I know...odd.) So I got these hangers that I've had my eyes on for a while. I have a lot of things to hang up and I like an organized closet. These are just perfect, I got 2 packages of 10, so I started with 20 of the Slim Line Hangers in a light teal:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=14255303

I LOVE them to death and cannot wait to go get some more!! Its so amazing how much space I was able to free up with these. They come in PINK too...but it didn't flow very well in my theme. ;)

4) OK, I have a confession to make. While I can kind of, sort of figure out how to use a lighter if my life were to depend on it. To light a candle with one of those scary things?? Uhm.... *E*L NO!!! I've burnt artificial nails, my hair, everything around me...and then leave the scene with two sore thumbs and lots of not nice words for that stupid lights! Grrrrrrr! :mad:

Anyway, I found a refillable, brushed stainless steel CANDLE LIGHTER!!! Its so easy to use, its only kinda chiild proof and its PURTY! YAY! Too bad it wasn't PINK, but its so wonderful and now I can light all my candles so quick and happily!

5) I also got 6 different shades in the teal tones in the Yankee Candle samplers. They are already burned and I loved them all!

THANK YOU SO MUCH, BUNNY!!! I sure had fun shopping!

Lots of Love,
Kelly :D

moosmom
04-08-2008, 09:38 AM
YES! I had lots of fun shopping at Bed, Bath & Beyond!

Ah yes, another happy, satisfied customer. You should've emailed me you were going there. PM or email me with your address and I'll send you some 20% off coupons. Go back there with your receipt and the coupons and they'll give you a price adjustment. Believe me, if you spent a sum of money there, it'll be worth going back for the adjustment. ;)

jennielynn1970
04-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Hey Kelly,
Did you get the gift card from Target??? I had them cancel the first one and reship the new one. It was shipped last week. Let me know, ok?!

It's order number Order Number: 601-8705884-5960248 and was shipped on March 31st.
Hugs hon!

rg_girlca
04-08-2008, 09:14 PM
HI, HI, KELLLLLYYYYY!!!!!!

How GREAT it is to hear from you.

Sounds like you've been through some rough times, but the trooper that you are, have come through it just fine and I know, will continue to do so. I'm so happy to hear that you are starting to feel better and that your relationship has improved with your Mom. :) That alone must be a big weight lifted off of your shoulders.

Also, I am so proud of you for taking a big step to further your dream on being not a Class 1 Phlebotomist nor a Class 2, but going for the gold on being a Class 3 Phlebotomist. Good for you. I know you will give it your all and go for the big draw. Hee, hee. Get it. Big Draw as in drawing blood. Okay, okay, enough with the groans. LOL!!!!

Take care my dear, keep up your spirits and keep on smiling.

{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

shais_mom
04-10-2008, 09:25 AM
great to hear and update! :D

NoahsMommy
04-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Hey Kelly,
Did you get the gift card from Target??? I had them cancel the first one and reship the new one. It was shipped last week. Let me know, ok?!

It's order number Order Number: 601-8705884-5960248 and was shipped on March 31st.
Hugs hon!

Hi Jennie!

Yes! I did recieve this (the 2nd) Target gc. I think it arrived on the 3rd, but I didn't check my mail until the 6th :o. I sent you out a "thank you" note on the 7th, you should be getting that soon. I'm also mailing another note telling you all about my fun Target shopping trip in tomorrow mornings mail. :)

Thank you so very much! You are so thoughtful and so generous to think of me in this way. (((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) It really is nice to go shopping when every other cent is dedicated to keeping the furkids and I together in this apartment forever this time. So thank you so much for that. :D

Hugs & Love,
Kelly, Noah, Basie, Micah & Phoebe :)

NoahsMommy
04-11-2008, 10:08 PM
I recieved a call from Daren, the liaison from school that helps set up the externships for the students. I got Kaiser Woodland Hills and I begin this Monday, March 14th (yay!) and finish nearly 2-weeks later on Friday, March 25th.

I have mixed emotions about all this. I've only drawn blood on the students in my class and they all had very good veins. I know the patients at the hospital are not going to be like that. Another issue...everyone in my class was light-skinned, so I am grateful the patients will be much more diverse. I must learn to seek out viens by touch, not sight; it scares me that I could be hurting a patient so I can learn.

Anyway, I know that I'll come out of these two weeks a better phelebotomist. I will gain the skills needed to become a class II and sharpen the I learned in my classes so that my class I skills are solid. All in all, I hope I'll gain the knowledge and skill to do my job quickly, with confidence and with minimal pain to my patients.

I'll let you all know how the first day goes.

Hugs, Kelly :D

kuhio98
04-12-2008, 12:24 AM
Congratulations!!! Umm, Kelly? It's April -- not March. :D

rg_girlca
04-12-2008, 12:10 PM
LOL!!!!!!!! I was thinking the same thing Kuhio 98.

Kelly, I know that you will do just fine, you have the determination and the skills. Hey, even the best have hurt people from time to time. I know first hand of this and it's only for a second or two. I use to have such good veins for drawing blood, but now they have gotten so small, that there was a time that they had to use a children's needle on me. LOL!!!! Just for a moment, it made me feel like a kid again.

Take care my dear and wishing you nothing but the best. :D

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}