PDA

View Full Version : Water pictures (but somewhat different)

Kirsten
04-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Took them this afternoon:

http://www.catmom.de/pix/water1a.jpg

http://www.catmom.de/pix/water2a.jpg

http://www.catmom.de/pix/water3a.jpg

http://www.catmom.de/pix/water4a.jpg

What do you think?

Kirsten

lvpets2002
04-01-2008, 11:12 AM
;) WoW so Nice & of such Beauty.. Great Pics thanks..

Freedom
04-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Those are special! What is the water in, wondering why it is so blue?

Kirsten
04-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks! :)

The water's in a blue plastic bowl, and the drops are coming from the faucet! :)

Kirsten

krazyaboutkatz
04-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Very cool pictures.:)

Catlady711
04-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Nice job. Looks like you were 'dragging the shutter' a bit for the motion blur in addition to the stop action of the drops themselves. Nice touch. Kinda reminds me of a set I did recently. I like your blue much better than my red.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/Catlady711/IMG_6830.jpg

Karen
04-01-2008, 12:49 PM
That's so cool!

Barbara
04-01-2008, 12:54 PM
I can't believe your camera did that.
These are such sort time phenomena :D
It's si cool!

DJFyrewolf36
04-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Wow, AWESOME! Your pictures always amaze me :D

Randi
04-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Fantastic! Am I seeing things, or is it Luna or Lily's eye (and body) you can see in the second one?

binka_nugget
04-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Absolutely stunning photos! You have an amazing eye for photography! :D

sirrahved
04-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Kirsten, they are beautiful! May I have permission to use one as my wallpaper?

pitc9
04-01-2008, 04:19 PM
WOW!!
Those are beautiful!!
(I think I spy the kitty too! ;) )
The first picture looks amazingly like a Daisy!! :eek:

lizbud
04-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Wow, something so simple, yet so beautiful to see it this way. :)

jennielynn1970
04-01-2008, 05:36 PM
How do you do that?! Your pictures are always so amazing!!

anna_66
04-01-2008, 06:23 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/anna66/Smileys/WOW.gif

Very Awesome!!!

slleipnir
04-01-2008, 07:53 PM
I tried something similar but it didn't turn out...how did you do it? What sort of lighting/camera lens/settings did you need? (if you don't mind me asking) Very beautiful pictures!!!

luvofallhorses
04-01-2008, 08:23 PM
they're AWESOME and so unique. I love them. :cool:

cassiesmom
04-01-2008, 09:01 PM
What do I think? I think WOW! These are SO COOL! I think Kirsten's photos are AMAZING! And when I went back and looked, sure enough, I think I see a tabby in the second photo :) These are so, so, so neat. I would love to see Kirsten's photos in a book or displayed in a gallery. The precious photos of Lily, Luna, the ones of Emma walking in the garden and now these. Wow-Ee, Wow!

Kirsten
04-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Thanks! :) Glad you like it. I know, it's not the kind of stuff I usually do, but I wanted to try something different - and almost destroyed my camera, because the lens got a bit wet. :o

Catlady711, it's interesting that the same effect looks totally different with the red color, but its also amazing. I like the tiny sparkles in the air, in front of the dark background. It's very hard to capture such a moment.

slleipnir, I just used the super macro mode of my cam; I also used my flash, but reduced its power (the S5 has a setting to vary the intensity of the flash, which is very cool). That's actually all I did. I used the standard lenses the camera came with, nothing special. If I had a SLR and a better lense, it would have turned out much better, I'm sure.

sirrahved, sure you can use it as a wallpaper! :)

To those who saw the reflection of a tabby: I can see what you mean, but there was none. ;) It's probably just a reflection of the tiles, or something else. :)

Kirsten

.sarah
04-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Those are awesome!! Love the blue color. I'm amazed you got such good shots with the S5. I did okay with the S2 but I am so much better with my SLR since I can control all of the settings. I shot some of these water shots a couple months ago and it is a lot harder than I thought. You have to get the focus JUST right. I was using my macro lens and manual focus. Here's one of mine:

http://southernmutt.com/photos/021908/IMG_2154.jpg

Kirsten
04-02-2008, 03:08 PM
It's awesome!!! You can definitely see a difference, it's much clearer! Great job!!

Kirsten

.sarah
04-03-2008, 12:35 AM
Thanks! But gosh, you did such an awesome job with the S5, I can't imagine what you'd do with an SLR!

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-03-2008, 04:36 AM
Wow, those pics are spectacular!!!

Sevaede
04-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Kirsten, you rock! :D You are, seriously, one of my FAVOURITE photographers! :)

sirrahved
04-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks, Kirsten! Hubby and I are just SO impressed with these photos!

Catlady711
04-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Catlady711, it's interesting that the same effect looks totally different with the red color, but its also amazing. I like the tiny sparkles in the air, in front of the dark background. It's very hard to capture such a moment.

That black background was a black duffle bag proped up on my table. :p

I was using two off camera flashes, that's how I got the backlighting for the sparkles in the air. I had a red filter on one, a blue one on the other, but for some reason only the red seemed to show through. I'd at least have expected some kinda purple color. I think I had my blue flash aimed wrong or something. Oh well, still learning how this off camera flash stuff works.

If you're using the S5 with macro, try putting a plastic bag over your camera with a small hole cut out for the lens. That should help protect your camera from the splashes working that close.

Your pix are great. You are very talented and it shows in your work. :)

Catty1
04-03-2008, 11:15 PM
Wow....I have a slower day today and can look at these. So cool to see your work and what others are doing too! (Will be posting my amateur Oscar and Cole series in Cat General shortly! :p )

Kirsten - here I am nagging again, but eBay has a section for original photos, in a couple of categories:

Architecture/Cityscape: http://listings.ebay.com/_W0QQsocmdZListingItemList?pfid=17&gcs=16&sacat=-100&reqtype=2&dfsp=32&socmd=ListingItemList&from=R2&pagetype=2&socdpfcat=72181&pfmode=2&a43=2174&alist=a43

Animals:
http://listings.ebay.com/_W0QQsocmdZListingItemList?pfid=17&gcs=16&sacat=-100&reqtype=2&dfsp=32&socmd=ListingItemList&from=R2&pagetype=2&socdpfcat=72181&pfmode=2&a43=2172&alist=a43

Abstract:
http://listings.ebay.com/_W0QQsocmdZListingItemList?pfid=17&gcs=16&sacat=-100&reqtype=2&dfsp=32&socmd=ListingItemList&from=R2&pagetype=2&socdpfcat=72181&pfmode=2&a43=2170&alist=a43

Here is a page with all the categories on the left...and it's the US site.
http://listings.ebay.com/_W0QQsocmdZListingItemList?pfid=17&gcs=16&sacat=-100&reqtype=2&dfsp=32&socmd=ListingItemList&from=R2&pagetype=2&socdpfcat=72181&pfmode=2&alist=&moremodeattr=43

Heck - why not post a couple of photos for sale? You outdo about anything I have seen on there. You could even send the prints electronically, or charge more for a good print. Even if you use services outside your home to do this, add that into the cost - and add a few Euros for yourself!

(Even post a link to your photo site in Germany, maybe)

Just the Luna and Lily portraits would keep them in fine quality kibble for the rest of their furry lives (and help with vet costs too).

Get your work out to the world, hon! :D

Kirsten
04-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Thanks! :)

Thanks! But gosh, you did such an awesome job with the S5, I can't imagine what you'd do with an SLR!

Well, I hope I'll find out one day, but chances are not good atm that I ever can affort one! :rolleyes:

Catlady711, thanks for the advice about the plastic bag! Will try it one day. May be also good when you do outdoor shots and it's raining (like this weekend). And thanks for the description of how you did your photo. Never worked with filters so far. What camera do you have?

Catty1, thanks for the links! Will check it out. But I still can't believe that anyone would spend money on my pictures. There are so many photographers at fotocommunity.de who do really great art work, and even they do not make a living of it. And I cannot even compare myself to them, or my camera to the professional equipment they have.

Kirsten

shepgirl
04-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Really awesome pictures, I think I'll have to try that although I'm a zero when it comes to snapping pictures...

Catlady711
04-06-2008, 01:00 AM
Catlady711, thanks for the advice about the plastic bag! Will try it one day. May be also good when you do outdoor shots and it's raining (like this weekend). And thanks for the description of how you did your photo. Never worked with filters so far. What camera do you have?

And I cannot even compare myself to them, or my camera to the professional equipment they have.

Kirsten

Yes the plastic bag does help when it's just misting or sprinkling outside. If you try that though, make sure to disable the auto power off feature (so your lens won't retract) and rubber band the bag around the barrel of your lens so it actually sticks out over the edges just a tad (kinda like a baggie lens hood). Don't point it up or the water runs right down onto the camera. I have used that method myself if it's misting but still prefer to be under the umbrella though just in case.

I have the Canon XTi DSLR. But I also own the S1 & S3 as well.

Never compare yourself as a photographer based only on the equipment you have/don't have. There are many people out there that have 'professional' equipment that I'll never be able to afford but they don't understand the functions of the camera, can't get good shots, and don't have a good eye for exposure/composition. The camera does help take better pix, but it's the photographer behind the camera (no matter what kind) that MAKES the pix.

DSLR's are getting cheaper all the time and older models that are discontinued frequently have steep discounts on the price. Someday maybe you'll have your DSLR. In the meantime you're doing GREAT with the one you have now and it's helping you to learn more everytime you use it.

Keep posting pix because they are great and they inspire me to try new things with my own photography. You're also a heck of alot better at post processing than I am. The camera I've got figured out, it's the computer and off camera lighting I stink at. I love seeing your work whether just the camera stuff or the layers things you do with the computer.

Kirsten
04-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks for your encouraging words! :)

It's just that I sometimes see things on fotocommunity that I would like to do, and just can't with my cam because there are limits. And I'm totally dependent on Photoshop and Photopaint! LOL (not with the water pics in this thread, they haven't been altered).

I hope one day I will be able to get at least a second-hand DSLR!

Kirsten

sirrahved
04-07-2008, 08:21 AM
Kirsten-My husband was on my computer last night. He said he still can't believe the photo you took, and that he'd be willing to pay money for a print of it! This is MY husband... the cheapo!

Maybe, just maybe... you'll be able to afford that fancy equipment?

Kirsten
04-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Thanks for encouraging me! So far, I was always too much of a coward to offer them for sale... :o

Kirsten