PDA

View Full Version : Digital camera photo size help

Freedom
03-30-2008, 09:39 AM
I have a Canon A560. I have the owner's manual, and the online info. I just need to know what 'feature' I have to look at.

Have a habit of hitting a button, don't know what I hit, or what I changed and no idea how to get back to the prior settings. :o

So, for 8 months, I have taken photos, moved them onto my desktop, uploaded to photobucket, and posted on PT with them at the 'right' size.

Somehow, as of 4 days ago (and who the heck remembers which buttons they pressed 4 DAYS ago???) my photos are now coming in a 1024 x ?? Some HUGE enormous size.

I'll have to resize everything before I can post, and I know now how to do that.

What I don't know is: how to I reset the camera BACK? What is this 'thing' called which I need to look up in the manual or on the web? Of course, there is nothing labeled 'photo size' so it must be called something else, but what?
Thank you for guidance.

Ashamed to say, after over 8 months, I barely know how to use 25% of the wonderful features on this camera. But that is a whole 'nuther tale. . . .

Russian Blue
03-30-2008, 03:04 PM
I have a Canon A560. I have the owner's manual, and the online info. I just need to know what 'feature' I have to look at.

Have a habit of hitting a button, don't know what I hit, or what I changed and no idea how to get back to the prior settings. :o

So, for 8 months, I have taken photos, moved them onto my desktop, uploaded to photobucket, and posted on PT with them at the 'right' size.

You have probably changed the resolution size of the images on your camera. Here's a step by step on how to change resolution and compression from the Canon website. I never can find my manual, so I just look up my question on the Canon site, it's quite handy. :)

You probably had the images set to a Small resolution of 640 x 480 and that's what you need to change your camera settings back to. Remember, though, that this setting is the smallest resolution and you cannot print out enlargements of your pictures later on with this setting. You should set to a Superfine Compression and a Resolution of Large just so you have an option to enlarge pictures once you take them. Once downloaded to your computer, you can then alter them to any size, but the original will be available for larger printing, if needed. Just a suggestion. ;)

Here's a link to the Canon page. Under the Search Our Knowledge base, type in 'changing resolution'. That will give you instructions on how to change it.

Canon A560 (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=SupportDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=221&modelid=14904)

Freedom
03-30-2008, 03:30 PM
THANK YOU!!!!!

Ginger's Mom
03-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Oops, sorry I didn't see this. Did you find it? It is the func. set button in the middle of the back of your camera. First option will be Fine/Superfine, if you move your curser down once, you can change the size of your pictures (L=3072X2304, on down to S=640x480). But as Russian Blue said I keep mine on Superfine and Large, that way if I want to crop some background out of a picture it is still large enough to get a decent 4X6 photo. I learned the hard way that sometimes if you crop it will be a fuzzy picture, so you have to be careful how may pixels it is etc.

Catlady711
03-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Usually the best bet is to always use the large resolution size and finest compression available your camera has. You paid for x number of megapixels, you might as well get your money's worth from them. If you need to crop, print a good 8x10 or happen to get the shot of a lifetime, then you don't need to worry that your pix don't have the resolution necessary to do what you want with them. You can always resize them down for emailing/posting etc later.

Freedom
03-30-2008, 09:18 PM
You can always resize them down for emailing/posting etc later.

Which takes TIME. I can only do one at a time, ugh!

Wow, I can't believe how much I have learned in this thread. THANK YOU, everyone!

kittycats_delight
03-31-2008, 02:51 AM
Sandie there is an option on photobucket where you can choose to have the fill a certain size. My photos are always taken on the largest possible. I take in RAW so I HAVE to convert them to upload them. But seeing you most likely take in jpg all you have to do it when you want to upload to photobucket is to click options which is right in the same box where you select the photos you want to upload and choose the size you want to upload at. I will include a couple of screenshots for you. That way if you want to use the photos for forums or emails then you can just take it directly from photobucket.

Freedom
03-31-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks, Michelle. I spent ages on Saturday on photobucket, went through and changed the size on each one individually. When I then put them up here on PT, they were still the original size, so I gave up and deleted the lot. :rolleyes: Maybe I'll give the uploading option a try before I sit and resize each on in photoshop individually.

Glacier
03-31-2008, 01:05 PM
Thanks, Michelle. I spent ages on Saturday on photobucket, went through and changed the size on each one individually. When I then put them up here on PT, they were still the original size, so I gave up and deleted the lot. :rolleyes: Maybe I'll give the uploading option a try before I sit and resize each on in photoshop individually.

You have to click "apply" in the new photobucket editing option or it doesn't save the new picture. If it never asked you if you wanted to "overwrite existing image or save a copy", it never saved your changes.....guess how I figured that out!

Catlady711
03-31-2008, 01:19 PM
Which takes TIME. I can only do one at a time, ugh!

If you have Windows XP then no you don't have to resize them one at a time. Another board told me about this one called 'power toys' for windows. There is a resizer that once downloaded will let you select multiple files from the windows viewer, then right click and select downsize. It then gives you a choice of 3 sizes and it can actually make copies of the downsized ones separate for emailing/posting and leave your original file sizes alone. I use it frequently for downsizing for emailing/web use.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

scroll down that link and look on the right column. You're looking for this to download...

Image Resizer

ImageResizer.exe
521 KB 2 min @ 28.8 Kbps

Cinder & Smoke
03-31-2008, 01:42 PM
If you have Windows XP then no you don't have to resize them one at a time.
Another board told me about this one called 'power toys' for windows.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

scroll down that link and look on the right column. You're looking for this to download...

Image Resizer

ImageResizer.exe
521 KB 2 min @ 28.8 Kbps

NOTE!! >>>

This neet Windows ReSizer ONLY works for Windows XP -
it will NOT work on the "New & Improved" VISTA operating system. :mad:

I'm not sure if the ReSizer will go farther back in Windows than XP - read
the Windows Application Notes to see if your Op Sys is able to use it.
It IS a sweet little program that works quickly on a whole folder full of
high resolution snappies.

:D

Freedom
03-31-2008, 04:01 PM
Oh my, the things I am learning! Next time Karen posts a 'what did you learn" thread for PT, I'll have to make sure I include 'camera usage!' ;)