PDA

View Full Version : Three's Company

finn's mom
03-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Well...we are expanding our family by three. Box turtles! Originally, I thought naming them after the Three Musketeers would be cool, and I still may go with that. But, today, I thought of naming them after the Three's Company characters...Jack, Janet and Chrissy. :) Honestly, the boxies I'm getting are so young, my turtle rancher friend says he won't be able to tell me their genders. They hatched last summer, and I'll be getting them next month. We're pretty excited, it'll be the first time either of us have ever ventured into the world of turtles. :)

So, we have our three dogs...and a tank full of freshwater fish. And, soon, we'll have a terrarium with three young box turtles. :) I have taken some decent photos of my fish, I need to post them...and I'll post photos of the new kids when they come home with us. :)

Just thought I'd share my news!

ramanth
03-29-2008, 01:28 AM
Congrats!! I don't think I'd ever own turtles with all the work that's involved, but I'm always tempted when I see the babies at reptile shows. :D

Can't wait for pics!

finn's mom
03-29-2008, 09:42 AM
My turtle rancher friend says that they're really not that difficult to keep at all, it's just that everything that needs to be done is so new to someone like me, hahaha. So, it's like learning a new language. ;)

IRescue452
03-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Congrats! What kind are you getting? This is a great turtle website http://members.aol.com/TheWyvernsLair/turtles/EBT-3.html

finn's mom
03-30-2008, 09:05 AM
Congrats! What kind are you getting? This is a great turtle website http://members.aol.com/TheWyvernsLair/turtles/EBT-3.html

Thanks for the link, I'll have to check it out. I have found a couple that I really like, but for the most part, Rick (my turtle man) is going to be my main resource. :) The sites are good reading, and usually have cute photos as well. I'm not sure what kind they are, I think he told me when we originally started talking about them last year, but I have since forgotten. I sent him an email yesterday asking that very question, so I should know by Monday. ;)

finn's mom
04-01-2008, 11:54 PM
I just found out today that the turtles are three toed eastern box turtles. :) I am going out of town until Sunday, and will start working on their enclosure when I get back. I'm debating on what I'll do for them (glass terrarium, rubbermaid container, homemade enclosure). I think ideally I'd like to build them an enclosure. I have a space about 34 inches long and 21 inches wide that I think I could build something nice on. I'll be sure to post photos once we get the enclosure set up and get the turtles home. I'm leaning more and more towards the three musketeers names (athos, porthos and aramis), but have also thought of some non trio type names. We'll see! I'm really hoping David and I can build something, I think it will actually be less expensive than a glass terrarium and better looking than a rubbermaid. And, if we do it right, we can make it really easy to maintain! Ultimately, safety and comfort of the turtles and ease of maintenance for us are the main priorities! :D