PDA

View Full Version : Our seniors deserve our respect and love

Pam
03-28-2008, 08:54 AM
I just got this in an e-mail and it brought major LES. My mom is in her 90's and in a nursing home and this hit very close to home for me. While my mom is a cheerful woman and receives excellent care I know that others are not so fortunate. This packs quite a message.

When an old man died in the geriatric ward of a small hospital near Tampa, Florida, it was believed that he had nothing left of any value.

Later, when the nurses were going through his meager possessions, they found this poem. Its quality and content so impressed the staff that copies were made and distributed to every nurse in the hospital.

One nurse took her copy to Missouri. The old man's sole bequest to posterity has since appeared in the Christmas edition of the News Magazine of the St. Louis Association for Mental Health. A slide presentation has also been made based on his simple, but eloquent, poem
And this little old man, with nothing left to give to the world, is now the author of this 'anonymous' poem winging across the Internet.

Crabby Old Man

What do you see nurses? ….What do you see?
What are you thinking.....when you're looking at me?
A crabby old man,...not very wise,
Uncertain of habit with faraway eyes?

Who dribbles his food.......and makes no reply.
When you say in a loud voice.....'I do wish you'd try!'
Who seems not to notice ..the things that you do.
And forever is losing ......... A sock or shoe?

Who, resisting or not...........lets you do as you will,
With bathing and feeding .... The long day to fill?
Is that what you're thinking?.... Is that what you see?
Then open your eyes, nurse.....you're not looking at me.

I'll tell you who I am ......... As I sit here so still,
As I do at your bidding, ....as I eat at your will.
I'm a small child of ten.......with a father and mother,
Brothers and sisters .... ...who love one another.

A young boy of Sixteen ….with wings on his feet
Dreaming that soon now. .......a lover he'll meet.
A groom soon at Twenty …..my heart gives a leap.
Remembering, the vows......that I promised to keep.

At Twenty-Five, now ........ I have young of my own.
Who need me to guide .... And a secure happy home.
A man of Thirty ....... My young now grown fast,
Bound to each other ....... With ties that should last.

At Forty, my young sons ..have grown and are gone,
But my woman's beside me.......to see I don't mourn.
At Fifty, once more, …Babies play 'round my knee,
Again, we know children ..... My loved one and me.

Dark days are upon me ............ My wife is now dead.
I look at the future ..............I shudder with dread.
For my young are all rearing......young of their own.
And I think of the years... And the love that I've known.

I'm now an old man.........and nature is cruel.
' Tis jest to make old age ....look like a fool.
The body, it crumbles..........grace and vigor, depart.
There is now a stone........where I once had a heart.

But inside this old carcass ...... A young guy still dwells,
And now and again .my battered heart swells.
I remember the joys......... I remember the pain.
And I'm loving and living............life over again.

I think of the years all too few......gone too fast.
And accept the stark fact........that nothing can last.
So open your eyes, people ..........open and see..
Not a crabby old man. Look closer....see........ME!!

Remember this poem when you next meet an older person who you might brush aside without looking at the young soul within.....we will all, one day, hopefully, be there, too!

The best and most beautiful things of this world can't be seen or touched. They must be felt by the heart.
God Bless

moosmom
03-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Pam,

WOW!! I saw so much of my Dad in that poem. I printed it out and will frame it along side my Dad's portrait.

You'll be happy to know that Shortie and I are volunteers at the Riverside Nursing Home. We go visit the patients there. She needs the exposure to people and it's good for both of us.

The two wings I want to concentrate on most are the Dimentia and Ahlzheimer's wings. They need the stimulation and I love to watch the looks in their eyes when they feel Shortie's fur.

Lovely poem, Pam. Well worth passing on.

Pam
03-28-2008, 09:23 AM
Lovely poem, Pam. Well worth passing on.

Thanks Donna. I know there are quite a few of us here with aging parents and some who have lost their parents. Each week as I visit my mom I look around at some of the other residents and I imagine how they must have been before age and illness took its toll. My main prayer for my mom each day is that she is treated with respect. Thankfully one nurse in particular has taken her under his wing. They adore each other and for that I am so grateful.

I have taken Ripley occasionally to visit when I go. The faces of the residents all light up when a furry one arrives. Good for you Donna. Keep being a blessing to all of those people. I am glad the poem meant something to you. It sure did to me.

sirrahbed
03-28-2008, 09:34 AM
Thanks Pam - good timing too as my own dad is suddenly, unexpectedly in a nursing home following failed back surgery. He is about as cranky as they come at his best, and I keep praying daily that he has caregivers around him that are able to see past that. I would send him the poem, but it would probably make him mad that it made me think of him :p

How wonderful and comforting that a nurse at your mom's residence has taken a special liking to her :)

caseysmom
03-28-2008, 05:44 PM
I meant to reply to this earlier Pam, I volunteered at the bingo hall for my daughters gymnastics and I enjoyed the older customers so much, what is more interesting than someone who has lived all those year.

kimlovescats
03-28-2008, 06:40 PM
I am now sobbing in tears as my mother slips further into dementia and / or Alzheimer's. My poor father is in some MAJOR denial and I don't know how much longer he is going to be able to care for her at home. One of the things she has always stated as long as I can remember growing up, was that she never wanted to be put in a nursing home! :( Sometimes we just don't realize how very difficult some illnesses are and that our loved ones often have no other choice. I know that my Dad is not only concerned about the expense but also about honoring her wishes! :(

Thank you for sharing this eye-opening poem.

Kim

shepgirl
03-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Wow...this is one poem that I want to keep with a picture of my parents who are now gone. I want to make a copy for the nursing home where I visit patients during the week.

cassiesmom
03-29-2008, 08:59 PM
Oh, yeah. This is why I chose geriatric nursing. And the best experiences I had were the ones where I got paid the least ... summer job at the convalescent center during nursing school, worked as a nurse's aide, worked my feet off but got so much out of it. And graduate student clinical practicum at the V.A. hospital. I got waaaaaaaay more out of that than I could ever have put in.