PDA

View Full Version : Huskies

dab_20
03-27-2008, 09:12 PM
My brother is looking into getting a husky. He's looking for a bigger sized dog that loves exercise, as he does a lot of hiking when the weather permits. He's not too concerned about the shedding. He is pretty experienced with dogs and has previously owned a Boxer. He's been looking around some rescues recently. His biggest concern is he lives in Pheonix, AZ and the weather there is pretty hot most of the time. How do huskies do in hot weather?? I know that they have thick fur coats and like the cold, so can they do well in heat?

wolf_Q
03-27-2008, 10:11 PM
As you know it gets pretty hot here in the summer too, and my dogs have always done ok. Of course they can come inside to cool off with air conditioning, always have fresh water, etc. I take them hiking in the summer often and I've never had a problem. Keva is not as tolerant of the heat as Nebo, I think it is her darker coloring, sometimes if she gets too hot she'll sit and refuse to continue (she's never done it on a hike though, just walks). I have a kiddie pool on my deck that I fill with water in the summer, and they love that. :)

I would say as long as your brother intends to allow the dog indoors with A/C he should be ok. If he's going to hike with the dog it would need to be on a cooler day, and he needs to make sure to bring lots of water. Many people think they should shave huskies because of the heat...tell him that he would just need to brush the dog regularly so there isn't a build-up of undercoat, shaving is not a good idea. If he isn't already aware, he should know that huskies are generally not good off-leash so it will need to be leashed hikes.

Personally I think that huskies do prefer to live in cooler climates...my dogs LOVE the snow and I know they'd miss it if I moved where it didn't snow. But if there's huskies that need to be adopted in Phoenix they're going to live in that heat anyway, reguardless of who adopts them. Just make sure he's prepared for the challenges of a husky (here's just a few of their fun traits ;) http://www.essortment.com/all/siberianhuskyr_rydp.htm ), I wish him good luck in finding the perfect dog for him. :)

Husky_mom
03-28-2008, 01:03 PM
living in a dessertic place... although not as hot as AZ, but close... I can tell you they do fine... the coat does serve as insulation for heat and cold. they do prefer colder climates but they can withstand heat too... but you gotta make sure the dog has proper sun protection....(shade, water, etc.)

as Amy said shaving them is a no-no... it would do more harm than good.... even if it seems that way...... and also not over excercise them in the heat/sun for prolongued periods.....

Cyber-Sibes Sherman (RB), was from a Breeder from AZ if I recall corectly....

lute
03-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Sibes can do ok in hot temps if kept well hydrated and not worked too hard. My Gracie does ok in hot weather as long as she's got a bucket of water within reach.

I think it's great that your brother is considering a Sibe! It's a great breed for the right owner! Rescue is definately the way to go with this breed too! There are soooo many homeless Sibes out there. Even if your brother goes hiking a lot I do think it's a must to have a fenced yard or a fenced off area for the dog to run off leash. Walking will wear out a Sibe, but running off leash makes them a good dog.LOL Sibe owners will understand that statement.

Oh yeah! One thing your brother must know is Sibes are demolition dogs.LOL Just look at some of the "fun" my Gracie has had.

Digging at the park.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/BeanieGracie/new%20camera%20pics/dogs/Picture094.jpg

re-doing the floor.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/BeanieGracie/new%20camera%20pics/dogs/Picture012-1.jpg

Digging at the school yard.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/BeanieGracie/gracie5.jpg

I have a whole slew of demolition dog stories this little girl has done has done in her three short years of life. I can't wait for the next ten...

dab_20
03-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Thank you for all the replies. They're very helpful. Thank you Amy for the link. Yeah, my brother will have a fenced in yard and it'll be an indoor dog. I'll forward this thread to my brother. Thanks again! :)

tikeyas_mom
04-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Make sure to post pics of your brothers pup when he gets him/her!! :D