PDA

View Full Version : Flea and Tick preventative

Sirrahsim
03-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Where do you buy yours? Which kind? How much does it cost?

We got a single dose of Frontline Plus from the vet for $17!!! I know that I can order it online but I am curious where I can get the best deal and if I should even stick with this brand. Ginger weighs just over 25 lbs and is putting on weight very quickly.

kallisto4529
03-28-2008, 01:23 AM
I pay about that maybe little less at the vets office, during this first year with Reilly I have had more problems with flea treatments, it seems his chemistry and them are not getting along to well, we keep having to change which one we use, but I would take him in every month to get weighed and I am still waiting to get the 3 pk or 6 pk until we find one that will work on both fleas and ticks like it is supposed to.

lute
03-28-2008, 08:29 AM
I use Frontline Plus. I get it only when the dog's need it. I buy it from work(vet clinic). Our single doses are $13.50, but I get a 20% discount.

Freedom
03-28-2008, 09:08 AM
I use Frontline Plus as well. I have been getting it from the vet but, having just picked up a 3 month supply for 4 dogs yesterday, I'm going to search the internet!

Related, what do you use for heartworm prevention? I use Interceptor.
I didn't realize that even using it year round, you have to have a heartworm test done every other year! I need to look for that on line as well.

Sirrahsim
03-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Ginger has had Interceptor each month since we got her. They gave it to her when I took her in for her puppy shots. Her last round of puppy shots is next week though so I guess I need to buy some of that too!

caseysmom
03-28-2008, 11:38 AM
I buy it at costco, it is cheaper than the vet but I can't remember the price.

beeniesmom
03-28-2008, 11:39 AM
I use cutter or bio-spot. It's cheaper and does the job.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/ usually have it on sale this time of year.

Ramble On Rose
03-28-2008, 12:25 PM
I give my dogs Sentinel. It's kind of expensive but it has both flea and heartworm preventative in a pill. I really don't like those goo filled tabs that you put on the back of their necks. Besides it being messy, one of my dogs would go nutty after I put it on him.

Giselle
03-28-2008, 01:18 PM
We don't use flea/tick preventives because ticks aren't common here and flea season is isolated to a very small number of months (maybe May-August, at most). For that reason, I kill 'em as I sees em :p If I find a flea on one of the dogs, I'll apply all the dogs and the fleas disappear in a matter of days/weeks.

Of course, that probably won't work in hotter or more humid climates, but it's been my personal (and financial) preference to treat them only as much as necessary. So if your pup doesn't have a high susceptibility to fleas in the winter, you can maybe skip those months and focus on spring/summer. (Don't skimp on the heartworm, though!)

caseysmom
03-28-2008, 02:04 PM
We don't use flea/tick preventives because ticks aren't common here and flea season is isolated to a very small number of months (maybe May-August, at most). For that reason, I kill 'em as I sees em :p If I find a flea on one of the dogs, I'll apply all the dogs and the fleas disappear in a matter of days/weeks.

Of course, that probably won't work in hotter or more humid climates, but it's been my personal (and financial) preference to treat them only as much as necessary. So if your pup doesn't have a high susceptibility to fleas in the winter, you can maybe skip those months and focus on spring/summer. (Don't skimp on the heartworm, though!)

Thats what I do too Sophie but when I inhereted my brothers cat he was flea infested so I treated all the animals for 6 months and now I have stopped.

3muttsandaboston
03-28-2008, 02:06 PM
I get it on ebay for about 36 dollars for a 6 month supply. It is 87 dollars at the vet (frontline plus) And I also only apply when needed with three dogs flea and tick medication can get expensive.

Freedom
03-28-2008, 03:56 PM
The ticks are out, here, about 10 months of the year. Last Tuesday we found ticks on 3 of the 4 dogs in Agility! class. Lacey was the only one tick free! ;)

cyber-sibes
03-28-2008, 04:17 PM
We've always used it, and are especially careful out here because this is the most heavily infested Lyme-carrrying tick population anywhere on the planet. (Rhode Island had a veritable tick explosion last year. :( ) I used to get them from the vet because they offered the same prices as on-line meds, just to keep the business. Now we can buy them from the Navy veterinarian on base for a fraction of what it used to cost us. I stick with Frontline. I tried Advantix, but poor Star had a bad reaction & developed a line of scabby sores where it was applied.

Suki Wingy
03-28-2008, 04:22 PM
I don't. I've only once seen a flea, and only twice in his life has Niņo had a tick. He's got short enough hair that we'd see it easily.

Freedom
03-28-2008, 05:59 PM
We've always used it, and are especially careful out here because this is the most heavily infested Lyme-carrrying tick population anywhere on the planet. (Rhode Island had a veritable tick explosion last year. :( ) I used to get them from the vet

I read this as: "I used to get ticks from the vet . . . " :eek: I had to go back and read it again, lol. :D :D :D

lute
03-28-2008, 06:21 PM
My dogs all use Interceptor for HW prevention. I get it for about $23.00 for a six month supply for one dog with my discount.

Cinder & Smoke
03-28-2008, 07:30 PM
I get it on eBay for about 36 dollars for a 6 month supply.

Do you have a *link* to your source on eBay?

How sure are you that it's the Real Thing - and not possibly diluted?

Catlady711
03-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Some flea/tick meds are not safe (I've seen particularly bad reactions to bio spot/hartz/sargents products at work).

Some internet pharmacies carry counterfiet (sp?) products that don't actually have the ingredients in it that it says on the label, or in the right concentrations if they do. Some do not have proper use instructions on the packages. Manufacturers will not honor any warrantee over products purchased except from a veterinarian. Internet pharmacies do not usually pass on manufacturer discounts/coupons and you're usually stuck buying in 3/6 pks vs being able to buy just a single tube from the vet as you need it.

In our area it gets cold enough that we don't recommend year round flea/tick prevention unless people travel with their pets to warmer climates or have a flea problem in the wintertime.

Frontline Plus, Advantage are both good products, and safe to use. We mostly used Frontline Plus where I work. However in the last couple years we've been having clients complaining that the products just aren't working like they used to. There could be some concern about fleas becoming immune to these products.

There is a new product available now called Promeris by Fort Dodge (http://www.promeris.com/) available only from veterinarians. I recently went to a seminar about this product that we started using last fall.

We have switched over many of our clients to this product and they have all been thrilled with the results. We tell them to call us if they're seeing any fleas in two days, we have yet to get a call from anyone.

Sorry if this will sound a bit like a sales rep shpeel but the seminar was not only exciting, but the results we've been seeing in the actual office and the clients reviews of results at home have been enthusiastic to say the least.

Highlights of the Promaris:

kills fleas in two hours (much faster than frontline's 24 hours)

paralyses the mouth parts of a flea and stops the biting in 20 minutes so the fleas don't get a blood meal and lay eggs around your house (always was a debate whether frontline killed fleas before they would bite or not possibly causing flea bite allergies)

for ticks in dogs Promeris only lasts 4 weeks though BUT lasts 6-7 weeks against fleas in dogs and cats (unlike frontline's 4 weeks for everything)

safe for humans and other pets (they made the product bad tasting so pets won't lick it off another pet, and it's not absorbed through the skin so it can't harm humans/other pets, the product works by attatching to the oil layer on the skin itself, not absorbtion)

waterproof

Has a wider range of doses based specifically on size including in cats (there have been many concerns that a wide size range dose was too much for small cats and tiny dogs in previous products)

main ingredient is Metaflumizone which fleas have never been exposed to before so they cannot have a tolerance built up already against it

As for ticks in dogs it will actually cause the tick to detatch, be unable to feed, paralyse it, then it dies, and it will help prevent reinfestation by paralysing the mouth parts so a new tick can't feed. (frontline can't compare to this tick killing/preventing product)

Is (at least where I work) cheaper than Frontline Plus.

Cons:

Promeris for cats does not have any tick fighting ingredients in it. However it is safe to use on your dog in a household that also has cats in it (unlike Advantix).

The ingredients in the product normally smell quite awful so the company has masked the smell with other scents. Dogs will smell like eucalyptus and cats like banannas for a day or two, but then the smell will wear off, but product keeps working. We always warn clients ahead of time about the smell in case someone is sensitive to those scents. Personally I like the smell myself. When we put a dog product on it clears my sinuses for a bit, and the cat one makes me crave a bananna split. ROFL

There are only a couple situations where another product might be better suited, at least for cats.

If you have cats that have a tick problem I'd recommend Frontline Plus

for cats going outside ALOT but do not get ticks I'd recommend Revolution (because of the heartworm, intestinal worm, and ear mite fighting properties)

If you have a dog, or an mostly indoor cat, Promeris really is the best working product I've seen in years.

Spiritwind
03-29-2008, 10:14 PM
I use interceptor year around, and Frontline only as needed. Usually every 2-3 months starting in April... thru about October... I've never had to apply it every month.. and its worked great for me.

3muttsandaboston
03-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Do you have a *link* to your source on eBay?

How sure are you that it's the Real Thing - and not possibly diluted?

I haven't recieved this yet but the feedback seems very good and it says it is in the original packaging. Here is one for 49.99 for a 6 month supply for dogs 23-44 pounds. Not sure the size of your dogs but I believe this seller sells all sizes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Frontline-Plus-Medium-Dogs-6-month-FREE-S-H-BNIB_W0QQitemZ330223556835QQihZ014QQcategoryZ46302 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I believe this is dogs 46-85 pounds 57 dollars for a 6 month supply
http://cgi.ebay.com/Frontline-Plus-Large-Dogs-6-Month-FREE-S-H-BNIB_W0QQitemZ330223269618QQihZ014QQcategoryZ46302 QQcmdZViewItem

This is the seller I used...only 42 dollars for a 6 month supply for dogs 45-88 pounds
http://cgi.ebay.com/FRONTLINE-PLUS-FOR-LARGE-DOGS-45-88-LBS-6-MONTHS_W0QQitemZ230235813939QQihZ013QQcategoryZ463 02QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have gotten alot of dog/pet items off of ebay and have been very satisfied. As long as the seller has great feedback it is usually safe to trust them.