PDA

View Full Version : Rabbi Kushner and the 23rd Psalm

Catty1
03-26-2008, 03:38 PM
I really like how he deals with the bad that happens to good people - he and his wife had a son with progeria - premature aging - and their son died a grizzled old man at age 14. He then wrote When Bad Things Happen to Good People.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/week813/feature.html

BOB ABERNETHY, anchor: Many people know Rabbi Harold Kushner for his 1981 book WHEN BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO GOOD PEOPLE. Recently, Rabbi Kushner wrote a meditation on the 23rd Psalm called THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD. Rabbi Kushner affirms that the 23rd Psalm answers the question, how do you live in a dangerous and unpredictable world?

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/week813/pics/p_feature_video.jpg

Rabbi HAROLD KUSHNER: No matter how grievous a funeral was, no matter how tragic a memorial service was, if I just started to recite the familiar words of the twenty-third Psalm, "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures ..." it tranquilized the congregation. It just made people feel calm.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/week813/pics/p_feature_cemetery.jpg Right after 9/11 -- when everybody was asking me, "Where was God that Tuesday? How could God have let such a thing happen?" -- the answer I found myself giving was, "God's promise was never that life would be fair. God's promise was, when it's your turn to confront the unfairness of life, no matter how hard it is, you'll be able to handle it, because He'll be on your side. He will give you the strength you need to find your way through."

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/week813/pics/p_feature_psalm23.jpg KUSHNER: I was paraphrasing the twenty-third Psalm: "Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for Thou art with me." The psalmist is not saying, "I will fear no evil because evil only happens to people who deserve it." He's saying, "This is a scary, out-of-control world, but it doesn't scare me, because I know that God is on my side, not on the side of the hijacker. God is on my side, not on the side of the illness, or the accident, or the terrible thing that happened. And that's enough to give me the confidence." The twenty-third Psalm is the answer to the question, "How do you live in a dangerous, unpredictable, frightening world?"

I want to believe in a loving God. And when you see children dying, when you see innocent people suffering, and when you see young parents stricken with an illness, how can you believe in a God of love and compassion unless you are prepared to say, "Some things happen in the world that God does not want to happen." God is good. Nature is not good. Nature is blind. Nature is amoral. Fire burns and bullets wound and falling rocks injure and disease germs infect everybody, whether you deserve it or not.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/week813/pics/p_feature_funeral.jpg I was inspired to write all of my books, starting with WHEN BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO GOOD PEOPLE, by the death of my son, who was 14 years old and was born with an incurable illness. I asked myself, how did my wife and I get through that? You would think that would shatter the faith of the average person. Where did we find the strength and the ability to raise him, to comfort him when he was sick and scared, and ultimately to lose him? And the only answer is, when we used up all of our own strength and love and faith, there really is a God, and he replenishes your love and your strength and your faith.

But people who have been hurt by life get stuck in "the valley of the shadow," and they don't know how to find their way out. And that's the role of God. The role of God is not to explain and not to justify but to comfort, to find people when they are living in darkness, take them by the hand, and show them how to find their way into the sunlight again.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/week813/pics/p_feature_sunset.jpg Why do people let themselves get stuck? Sometimes, I think, they feel guilty that they're still alive and somebody they love has died. Sometimes, I suspect, they're afraid. They're afraid if they ever permitted themselves to recover, then they would lose the person not only physically but emotionally as well. And as a rabbi, I would try to explain to them, "No, that's not how it works. When you have loved somebody, they have entered so intimately into the fabric of your soul that neither death nor time can ever take them out. They are always with you."

[Reading Psalm 23:] "Goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the House of the Lord forever."

rosethecopycat
03-26-2008, 07:56 PM
Darn good stuff.

I always thought God set nature and science in place, and we have to figure out how to master it, control it, or deal with it. Doesn't mean He's not there.

God give me the strength to never ask: Why me?

Thanks.

Catty1
03-27-2008, 11:40 AM
rose - I agree with you...and I believe that God/Creator wants us to be good stewards of all creation, nature and the people in it.

Pollution is now starting to appear in mother's milk...our actions as a species are starting to hurt us directly.

Prayers that we can make one small change a day, even per week, to 'green' up a little more.

moosmom
03-27-2008, 07:24 PM
I always believed that things happen for a reason, and only God knows why. I may never find out why. But that's okay. Because He doesn't give us problems or trouble, he gives LESSONS upon which to learn and grow from.

Freedom
03-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Darn good stuff.

I always thought God set nature and science in place, and we have to figure out how to master it, control it, or deal with it.
Thanks.
I would say it a bit differently. I would say we have to figure out how to co-exist with nature.

Some people - like Rabbi K - just have so much insight and can say things which leave me stopping to think about it for a LONG time! They can cross so many lines - religious, generational, cultural - and get to the heart of humanity.

AmberLee
03-28-2008, 12:28 AM
Wow, I hadn't seen that previously. Thank you for sharing it with us.