PDA

View Full Version : RIP Work Computer

ramanth
03-25-2008, 11:24 PM
So Monday evening it got a bit slow at work. I was browsing Pet Talk and reading the thread about the Springer bike attachment. I decide to check out the website. I google it, go over there, and I'm two page clicks in (just loaded the page about how to attach it to the bike) when the computer freezes up and shuts down.

It restarts but after I log in, the computer shuts down again. :eek:

I start it up and this time the computer stays on. I run anti-virus software and Ad-Aware. They find nothing. Other than Windows constantly yelling at me that there is spyware on the computer and the machine randomly shutting down, the programs are working fine.

So I email IT letting them know of the issue, that I won't be in on Tues or Wed (my days off) but that Lori can let them in remotely. I prepare to get reprimanded. :(

IT emailed this morning and were very nice about it. Just confirming to have either myself or Lori give them remote access.

Then later I get an email from Lori:

Hey Kim,
Our computer is terminal. Really. They worked on it all day today and cannot remove the spyware. I told them what I needed on the computer but I have no idea what you need or use. They need a list of software "that was approved for that computer"....she wanted me to stress that. They are going to come over here and wipe the slate clean and reimage it.

Lori

:eek: :eek: :(

I killed the computer.

I'm gonna lose some recent dog park and Lucy photos and some fun little programs I had, but that's okay. Small price to pay to not have them yell at me.

Cinder & Smoke
03-25-2008, 11:44 PM
So I email IT letting them know of the issue, that I won't be in on Tues or Wed (my days off) ...
I prepare to get reprimanded. :(

:eek: :eek: :(

I killed the computer.

... Small price to pay to not have them yell at me.

Psssst ...

You're not THERE to get **Yelled at** ~~~ YET!

I re-suggest that you take your Ear Plugs with you to work!

ITs are like elephants - they NEVER forget.

:D

ramanth
03-25-2008, 11:49 PM
*laughs* That's true. But I received no stern emails from my boss or IT, so I'm hopeful. :D

I was looking at legit sites, or at least I thought I was. So frustrating and confusing. :(

Maybe I'll get a prize for finding a hole in the firewall. ;) :p

I hate people that make spyware & viruses. :mad:

Hellow
03-26-2008, 12:20 AM
It sounds like somthing is eating your computers resources. Must be a program with a forkbomb in it. A forkbomb is a program that executes a ton of processes until it killes the computer. Or it could be a failing power supply. It might not have been you that killed it. How old was the computer? Heh, IT is going to be po'ed if what i say is right and they never thought of it.

Cinder & Smoke
03-26-2008, 02:00 AM
Maybe I'll get a prize for finding a hole in the firewall. ;) :p

You sure you want the *prize* ???
:eek:

I'd sorta hate to think just what "prize" the combination of a PO'd IT Guy
and your Boss might come up with. :eek:

Whenever I *screwed up* at work - I was always thankful when the Boss would
just say "Stuff Happens" and that would be the end of it.
But if he said "Send me a memo about that ..." - ya just KNEW that HIS Boss
had found ALL about your latest sin! :(

And to top it off ... the IT Guy will never be able to keep his mouth shut!
Those Folks ALWAYS need a good "Guess what Kimmy did" Tail to tell at
the morning Geek Crew tea break. :rolleyes:

You'll be Famous by Friday! ;)

Donnaj4962
03-26-2008, 09:02 AM
We have a saying here at work.... PICNIC....

"Problem in chair, not in computer"

So glad yours was the other way around!!!!!!! Good luck with everything. Hope your prize is a nice one. Maybe a day off with pay!?!?!

ramanth
03-27-2008, 08:50 PM
We had a staff meeting today and nothing was brought up about my boo boo. Eric, my supervisor was really nice as usual but some of my gal coworkers were getting a laugh about it. Lori moreso about IT's reactions.

Lori told me IT said something to the effect that my computer "was just an accident waiting to happen."

Turns out it hadn't been "updated with much needed software" since 2003.

I laughed. That's when the computer was purchased and installed in my office!

Guess I should be commended for keeping it spyware/virus free all that time. :p :rolleyes:

They also hadn't wiped it clean yet, so I WAS able to save all those pet photos. :D

Cinder & Smoke
03-27-2008, 10:46 PM
IT said something to the effect that my computer "was just an accident waiting to happen."

Turns out it hadn't been "updated with much needed software" since 2003.

They also hadn't wiped it clean yet,
so I WAS able to save all those pet photos. :D

:eek:

And just How Many IT "Memos" have you NOT read in those last FIVE years?
They usually send a *note* when you need a uppiedate ... should think
they'd have come lookin for you by now!
It'll take the poor IT Folks a month to load in all your missing updates & revisions!
Good GRIEF! :eek:

You'll be the Featured Tail at the Geek Crew's Tea Breaks for at least a month or two! :p

PS: Better "scan" those pix you saved ... it will only take ONE infected snappie
to re-infect your puter. :(

(*I knew Kimmy before she got *Famous*!)