PDA

View Full Version : It's all in the family for Presidential hopefuls... :-)

Catty1
03-25-2008, 10:46 PM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/080325/oddities/us_vote_offbeat

Obama related to Bush, Churchill: US researchers

Tue Mar 25, 3:40 PM

NEW YORK (AFP) - US presidential hopeful Barack Obama turns out to be a distant relative not only of President George W. Bush but also of wartime British prime minister Winston Churchill, according to US researchers.

The New England Historic Genealogical Society traced the family trees of the three major presidential candidates, also revealing Democratic rival Hillary Clinton's ties to pop icon Madonna and Beat generation writer Jack Kerouac.

And while Obama and Hollywood heartthrob Bard Pitt are ninth cousins who share a relative who died in 1769, Clinton is a ninth cousin twice removed of Pitt's partner Angelina Jolie, sharing a common ancestor who died in 1718.

Clinton is meanwhile also related to a number of celebrities with French Canadian ancestry, including singers Celine Dion and Alanis Morissette.

"It is common to find people of French Canadian descent to be related to large numbers of other French Canadians," said genealogist Christopher Child, who conducted the research.

On the Republican side, John McCain's family tree came up with perhaps less surprising results, revealing mainly that he was a sixth cousin of First Lady Laura Bush.

Other ties established by the genealogical society linked Obama to former presidents Gerald Ford, Lyndon Johnson and Harry Truman, and to Civil War General Robert Lee.

RICHARD
03-25-2008, 10:56 PM
It's the brotherhood of man, man!

This is precious. :D

luv my cats
03-31-2008, 09:54 PM
I'm related to Adam and Eve :D

Karen
03-31-2008, 11:07 PM
Frankly, aren't all we Americans related somewhere along the line? ;) As someone with ancestors on the Mayflower and some that were here before they arrived ... I am more likely to assume that I am somehow related to just about everyone here! ;)

I'm never surprised when the "who is related to whom" things pop up. Dig far back enough and we're all related to Noah, right? ;)

DJFyrewolf36
04-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Frankly, aren't all we Americans related somewhere along the line? ;) As someone with ancestors on the Mayflower and some that were here before they arrived ... I am more likely to assume that I am somehow related to just about everyone here! ;)

I'm never surprised when the "who is related to whom" things pop up. Dig far back enough and we're all related to Noah, right? ;)

Yup...every person on earth is related at SOME point. If we weren't I'd start wondering lol.