PDA

View Full Version : Leash Chewers

wolf_Q
08-22-2002, 01:01 AM
Nebo doesn't just like to bite his leash, he practically eats it. He's ruined more then one leash, I'm glad I haven't bought any of the expensive kinds yet. The trainer at Petsmart mentioned a few different things to stop a dog from biting their leashes. Problem is, Nebo likes all of them.

Bitter Apple Spray--mmm that's yummy I'll lick the bottle!
Listerine (the nasty brown kind)---ooh your fingers taste like listerine, let me lick it off!
Vicks Vapor Rub--that stuff kind of stinks, but it's not enough to stop me!

Any other suggestions for me? Err...actually any more things to make Nebo's leash tasty? lol The trainer also mentioned that you could put these things on your hands so the dog wouldn't bite your hands (he's a real biter!)...no effect what so ever....it doesn't even phase him.

He ate clear through his nice harness today. Haha I sewed it back together though! Just next time I won't leave it on him in the dog run...even for a half hour....

DoggiesAreTheBest
08-22-2002, 06:07 AM
Amy, Drake used to love chewing on his leash. We went through a leash every week almost. I don't know much about putting something on the leash, but I wouldn't try vicks vapor rub on it.

Be sure to take the leash away from him when you see him doing that. Also, if he is not being walked or on the leash, put it somewhere he can not get to it.

Good Luck :)

anna_66
08-22-2002, 06:49 AM
Roxey loved to chew anything she could get her grubby little paws on!
I have to say, since she's getting a little older, she has not been quite as distructive, or maybe it's that she has a good playmate...I'm not sure, but now that I think of it maybe its the latter one! Now she can take alot of her energy & put towards playing with Huney, where before she didn't have anything to do, cause Angus don't like to play like that all the time.
Well.....guess all this post did was discourage you:rolleyes: Sorry!
Guess you'll just have to get another dog! LOL, just kidding!

KYS
08-22-2002, 09:03 AM
I went throught the leash biting too when they were
pups. Not as bad as Nebo. :)

I agree, with DoggiesAreBest. (take away and keep out of reach)
I taught Sheba/Rocky as pups to calm down and sit, before I put their leash on them.
If they bit at the leash or started jumping etc.,
I would say NO, remove leash from mouth,
and just wait until they sat and calmed down.
Than we we would go for our walk.
Didn't take to long for them to catch on, that
no sitting no walkie.

These puppy stories are bringing up memories.
Wait till Nebo started digging and chewing up your
yard. lol

wolf_Q
08-22-2002, 10:48 AM
I didn't actually put the Vicks on his leash...I let him smell it first on my hands, no effect, so I didn't bother. I thought it was kind of odd, but those are the things the trainer mentioned to stop dogs from chewing/biting things. The problem is that I have to keep him on a leash quite often. He's on one in the house sometimes because I can't have him going after Reggie and Smokey all the time (he's just playing, but they aren't). Lol Anna, I'd love to get him a playmate hehe. I wish Reggie and Smokey would be, but umm..no....He has Lady, but he doesnt' see her all the time.

manda99
08-22-2002, 10:53 AM
Smokey liked to chew his, too, but he grew out of it.
Now he just likes to hold it in his mouth on walks. :rolleyes:

I heard that putting dish soap on the leash & then letting it dry before using... The taste is supposed to be yucky? Although, if Nebo likes brown Listerine he might love the soap!

Good luck

mugsy
08-22-2002, 10:59 AM
Daisy ate a leash and it cost us $1000 for the surgery to get it out. I'll bet that beats your stories!! lol:D ;)

wolf_Q
08-22-2002, 11:11 AM
LOL hopefully he will not be talented enough to do that!

lovemymaltese
08-22-2002, 01:48 PM
I guess that you shouldn't spend a lot on leashes since he just eats them. My roommates dog likes to eat the bandana around is enck all up. We thought that it was because he didn't like it around his neck. But he gets upset when we take it off and is all excited and barking when we put it back on. Go figure!

Cincy'sMom
08-22-2002, 04:42 PM
I read somewhere you could coat it with deodarant ( the stick kind ) and then spray perfume on that. The deodorant will keep it onthe leash, and the perfume makes it taste bad. Make sure he doesn't like it first, cause ya don't want your dog eating that, but it maybe something to try.

Good luck!

Crikit
08-22-2002, 07:04 PM
One of my friends who's a trainer once suggested to some people that when the dog is biting the leash to replace the leash with a toy or something...actually I think she might have suggested just a small piece of leash and having the dog only be allowed to bite that one...I think a toy might be better though.

Karen
08-22-2002, 09:11 PM
Have you thought of getting a length of light-but-strong metal chain, like you see on swingsets, and using that for a leash? You can get any length cut for you at most hardward stores ... It'd be "not that tasty" and wouln't give him the satisfation of being able to bite chunks off of it ... what (tatsy) kind of leash have you been using?

strass
08-23-2002, 10:19 AM
We've been having this problem too! Murphy ate through two leashes in four weeks. He would only chew on it while we were walking from the door of our apartment to outside (which takes about 3-4 minutes because of the elevator). But after a few days, it was almost worn through, and we were afraid it would break if he tried to take off after a bird or pulled too hard. So we took a field trip to Petco and bought him a nice lightweight chain leash (it has a leathery handle for the human to hold!). I think it was $11. Check out www.petco.com to see it. It has completely solved the problem. No dog wants to chew on a metal chain! And if he does, oh well...it won't do any damage. ;)

wolf_Q
08-23-2002, 01:09 PM
I have a metal chain leash that is Reggie's. But my dad throws a fit if I have him tied on that in the house, says it will scratch up everything. He mainly chews it if I have him tied up in the house, even if he has toys over by him. He'll chew his leash on walks too, but not as much, because he is more interested in everything else. Problem is, he's a very effecient chewer.....if he's intent on it, he can destroy a leash in not much time at all.

strass
08-23-2002, 01:15 PM
Umm...why is he tied with a leash in the house? Can't you put him in his crate or, if he doesn't have a crate, confine him in a certain area with a door or with baby gates? He's probably frustrated to be tied up!

Oh, I just thought of this. We also bought Murphy a 10-foot "tie out" for when we go camping. It's sort of a thick metal wire, like a bike lock, but it has a smooth plastic-like covering over it. The metral "wire" can't be chewed through, I'm sure, and shouldn't scratch the house, either. I think it comes in different sizes. I think you can view it at www.petco.com; that's where we got it...

lovemymaltese
08-23-2002, 01:30 PM
baby gates work great, that's a good idea!

wolf_Q
08-23-2002, 01:43 PM
Yes he has a large crate that's in my room, which he goes in to sleep sometimes, and he sleeps there at night. He has a dog run in the backyard with a doghouse and I leave him there or in the crate when I can't watch him.

He's only tied up in the house when I'm right there with him. Like in the kitchen. I have to keep a leash on him in the house quite a bit, because he just won't leave Smokey and Reggie alone. I'm working on teaching him how to nicely greet dogs, not jump on their heads like he does lol. He is offleash in the house quite a bit too...sometimes he won't bother the dogs, but when he just won't stop jumping at them, I have to stop him. I take him on a leash around the rest of the house too.

I would like to get a baby gate, but I live with my parents. According to them, the kind that has a door that can swing has to be literally attached to the walls, and they don't know if they want that. The only place I could really leave him where he couldn't destroy anything is the kitchen, which would require 3 gates---one by the front room (which has an extra large opening) and the others right in front of stairs. I really think we should at least get one by the front room though. It's stupid in my opinion---they've always got pissed if Reggie and Smokey went in that room. But they need to have something to actually stop them, because they go in there all the time anyway. And I want to teach Nebo to not run and bark at the door like they do--yeah that's real fun trying to hold back 3 dogs everytime the doorbell rings! Ugh. He thinks--if they can run and bark, why can't I?

Dixieland Dancer
08-23-2002, 01:51 PM
I believe positive reinforcement by redirecting his desire to chew the leash to something else is the best solution, however; if you are looking for a "Taste" that will distract him, try a very hot tabasco sauce. I am not talking about Louisiana hot sauce, but something even hotter. It needs to be hot enough that he won't build up a tolerance for it.

anna_66
08-23-2002, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q

I'm working on teaching him how to nicely greet dogs, not jump on their heads like he does lol.

Good luck with that one! Roxey is over a year old and sometimes she still does that, and did it to Angus until we got Huney! And now she does it to Huney ALL the time! But she don't do it to other dogs, unless they want to play. Just our dogs:rolleyes: