PDA

View Full Version : The little bronce cat on John's gravestone...

Randi
03-23-2008, 09:10 AM
... has been stolen. :( :( I just came back from a walk over there, and I was there friday, so it must have happened in the last few days. I'm feeling rather sad.

This is the one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Fister/Grave/Catongravestone.jpg

Russian Blue
03-23-2008, 09:13 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry! People who do these kind of things really get me :mad: . The cemetery where my father is buried had some gravestones smashed and turned over.

I can't understand what type of 'person' finds enjoyment on making mourners grieve more. :(

moosmom
03-23-2008, 10:10 AM
That is disgusting. Thats SACRILEDGE!!!! I'm so sorry, Randi. That just outrages me to no end.

Are you going to replace it? I hope so. That's what it's all about. His love of cats. Did you report it to the police??

I'd like to donate something to having the kitty replaced, Randi. Would you be kind enoug to send me your address??

(((((HUGS)))))

Donna

catmandu
03-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Where My Parents Is Buried Is Located In An Isolted Area In A Deserted Church So Things Like Floral Tributes Often Go Missing, I Think Taken At Least Sometimes By The People Who Maintain The Property.
To Steal From The Dead Is To Hopefully Invoke Some Bad Karma.
Thats Revolting That Anyone Would Be That Mean And Petty.
:( :( :(

Catty1
03-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Oh NO Randi...would it by chance have been turned in to the cemetery caretaker?

I'd report it to your local news people - newspaper/TV/radio - because if enough people hear about it, someone might know that person...and just the news getting out will hopefully shame him(or her). Obviously that person has no shame at ALL right now. :mad:

Just call them and say you need help - they should understand how special this is, and most people are happy to help.

HUGS!

moosmom
03-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Candace is right, get the media involved. Tell whoever took it how much it means to you and that they can turn it in, no questions asked. How about if we take up a collection as a "reward" for the return of the kitty. Betcha that'll peak their attention.

orangemm
03-23-2008, 11:19 AM
I just don't understand people; if they would take 10 seconds to think about how THEY would feel if someone did it to them, none of this would happen.

Yes, call the media; let's see if a little exposure will shame the thief (or the recipient) into returning your property.

Fools.

Randi
03-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Thank you everyone. :) I don't think I'll involve the media, they wouldn't consider it a big deal anyway. On tuesday, I'll go to the office and tell them. There has been things happening before - like gravestones being turned over, as Russian Blue mentioned. They have surveilance cameras, but I'm not sure they're on all the time and at all places. It's a huge cemetary.

Our friend John O'Neill, who made the gravestone and got the kitty, is used to work in cemetaries and may know better how to handle this. I'll try to get hold of him after monday.

The cat was screwed in to the stone, so it must have taken some time and effort to get it off.

I hope the person who did this will have some really bad luck! :mad:

Medusa
03-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Honestly, the things that people do. I just don't get it. Definitely report it to the cemetery office. I'm sorry this has happened.

Cinder & Smoke
03-23-2008, 01:09 PM
So sorry your Kitty took a hike, John ...
This might not be a proper Jonza reaction ~ but it's gonna be the Phred reaction >>>

I hope ...
The little bronze cat on John's gravestone...

**Sratches the heck out of** whoever stole him! :mad:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Fister/Grave/Catongravestone.jpg

Maybe God borrowed him ... to soothe another Lonely Soul ...

Seems like He woulda *asked* or left a note ... mighta been in a hurry.

Do your best to get him replaced, Randi -
and count me in on helping to fund John's New Kitty!

Do you have a PayPal account we can send to?

{{{Hugs}}}

Kirsten
03-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Oh no, Randi, how sad!! :( Hard to believe that some people are able to do such a thing (the wedding stones at Tillyschanze are also getting stolen all the time). It's sad that some people don't respect these things... It's beyond me... :(

Kirsten

phesina
03-23-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm so sorry, Randi. How horrible. It is completely beyond me to understand how anyone could do such a thing. What was that alleged person thinking?

That is a good idea to notify the cemetery staff.

I will be glad to contribute to a fund for another one, too.

momcat
03-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Oh Randi, I can't begin to even imagine how you feel right now. This is an absolute outrage!!! :mad: :( :mad: It's virtually impossible to comprehend why people do such cruel things. While it may not be of much comfort to you, what goes around comes around. That low-life will get theirs!

I join the others in offering to contribute to replacing the beautiful kitty. Let us know where to send a few dollars.

Definitely discuss this with those in charge of the cemetary, they need to know about this unspeakable desecration. Whoever did this deserves to be prosecuted to the maximum allowed by the law!

Laura's Babies
03-23-2008, 03:55 PM
That is disgusting. Thats SACRILEDGE!!!! I'm so sorry, Randi. That just outrages me to no end.

My very own thoughts also. There has been a outbreak of people vanidilzing cemetaries around here to totally demolishing headstones, spray painting statues and distroying everything. People here are outraged too. God does NOT forget and no matter what their age or motives, He WILL deal with them one day. It is so upsetting for the families and I understand that since my own son's grave was vandelized before.

Karen
03-23-2008, 04:08 PM
I am sorry to hear that. Prayers n the way that he gets returned.

lvpets2002
03-23-2008, 04:14 PM
:( This saddens & :mad: angers me too.. I am so sorry.. Yes when my father passed on I had bought & placed a Guardian Angel.. Well it lasted about one year & was stolen as well..

Barbara
03-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Randi I'm so sorry. Who could ever take something like this away from a grave???????
I agree with Phred. May the kitty scratch the thief really bad.

Felicia's Mom
03-23-2008, 05:02 PM
So sorry that people can be so cruel, Randi. I will keep you in my prayers!

kb2yjx
03-23-2008, 06:09 PM
One has to wonder what was the motivation for the person to spend a good amount of time removing that kitty from your cat's grave site...However, it was a terrible thing to do. I have to agree with Catty1, the press needs to know what happened. Public awareness is a good thing!!!

momoffuzzyfaces
03-23-2008, 06:26 PM
I'm so sorry Randi!!! Some people are just mean!!! :(

krazyaboutkatz
03-23-2008, 08:43 PM
Randi, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I hope that some one will be able to catch this thief.:mad:

DJFyrewolf36
03-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Hopefully it gets found! Sigh, I don't understand people sometimes :(

RICHARD
03-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Not a lot I can say......because it's mostly curse words.

You have to pray for the soul of the idiot(s) that took the cat. Eternal damnation can be a drag. :(

AlleyCat
03-24-2008, 12:42 PM
That's just awful and so sad it got stolen! I sincerely hope it was turned in at the office or that it is found somehow. Dang grave-robbers!

anna_66
03-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Oh Randi I'm so sorry to hear this. I can't imagine how sad and upset you are.

(((HUGS)))
Anna

Sonia59
03-24-2008, 04:09 PM
Oh no Randi! I am very sorry to hear this. Human stupidity! :(

jennielynn1970
03-24-2008, 04:20 PM
How horrible that someone would do that. What kind of person steals from graves/cemetaries?! It's disgusting.

I hope your friend can figure out something that would be permanent, even though it won't have the same sentiment.

I, too, would like to donate for it's replacement. Please let me know if and when that time comes, and I'll help in whatever way I can, or that you need.

wolflady
03-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Gosh, this just makes me so angry! :mad: I honestly don't understand people sometimes, and it's true...somebody must have been determined to put that much effort into removing a bronze that that is screwed into a gravestone! :mad: I'm so sorry that some heartless jerk desecrated such a lovely resting place. I really hope that whoever stole it gets a conscience and returns the cat to its rightful place :(

Please let us know if your friend had any other ideas.
**hugs**

Randi
03-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Thank you, all!

I’m very angry about this, and also dissapointed that anyone could do such a thing. :mad: :(

I went to tell the office at the cemetary about it, the woman there told me that lots of old bronce chains around the old graves has been stolen too, rencently. Also from another cemetary in town. She was sympathetic and we talked for while - I suggested to send a picture of the cat, and she thought that was a good idea, so all the gardeners can see it. I talked to one of them - she was outraged!

However, I don’t think there’s a big change of getting it back, I think that the one who took it, has seen it and then come back with tools to get it off, and I don’t think it’s a child.

I have been in touch with the guy who made the stone and got the cat, he will see if he can get another one - it may take some time, as this one did. Some are not so nice. The one that got stolen was probably designed by a German, he said. I will replace it of course, but not immediately.

Today after my jobinterview, I went to the police to report it, they can’t do anything about it, they didn’t even want a picture, but he wrote a report for me to send to my insurance. They may or may not cover it.

Poor John without his cat! :(

Catty1
03-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Hi, Randi - you know, if this has happened to so many people and at other cemeteries too - maybe the news people should know about it. Then they can do their own interviews with the cemetery staff. And it's the staff or managers that should notify the media too!

If this is widespread, and the news can get out to the public - someone is going to know SOMETHING!

More crimes have been solved by somebody hearing someone else bragging in a bar!

Hmmm....any brass foundries where you live? ;)

Karen
03-26-2008, 10:58 AM
I'd call or send a note to every scrap metal place in town, that if they receive this piece, please call you. The price of metals as a commodity has been going up, and because they have been stealing brass chains, I'd almost bet someone took it because it was a nice, heavy piece of brass to add, so he'd get more money.

Just a thought.

Randi
03-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Catty1, I can follow your thinking, but the media already know about these problems, and they have written about it earlier - it doesn't seem to help. The kind of people doing things like this are beyond reaching/saving? (can't find the right word). Even the police have given up - not enough resources, they say.

Karen, I honestly don't think that the person who stole the cat will try to sell it because of the price of the metal, it's not very big (see attached!). I believe someone fell in love with cat. It's another "story" with the huge chains - I bet they'll end up being melted.

I did ask the police about this, and that's why I wanted to give them - or the right people, a picture, so they could check IF anyone tried to sell it.

Catty1
03-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Hi, Randi - I didn't know the media had reported on this already, sorry!

Pawn shops?

Other than that, if only there was a popular city-wide blog where you are, so you can post a picture...in case someone got it as a 'gift'. :(

I hope and pray it turns up.

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-27-2008, 01:57 PM
I just found this thread!

Oh Randi, what a horrible thing to do; stealing an object from a grave... . It is so disgusting, I have no words to express how I feel about this... :( :mad: :(
I cannot understand how the thief was able to unscrew the cat from the stone... :confused: ; maybe next time you can use very strong glue and also screws again (and put glue in the hole for the screw too)

I am so sorry for you, and for John too !!