PDA

View Full Version : Fatal motorcycle accident

Moesha
03-22-2008, 11:01 PM
My sister and her husband on their way to a special event to observe the death of Jesus this evening. On their way there, they were the first people on the scene of a motorcycle accident. They came down a hill and around a corner onto a bridge over a lake and thought there was some debris in the road. When they got closer, they realized it was a man that had been thrown from a motorcycle. His helmet was still spinning in the road, so obviously it had just happened. He was already in a puddle of blood. They called 911 and my brother in law went over. The man was unconcious but was moaning. My brother in law talked to him telling him that help was on the way. The ambulance arrived about 10 minutes later. My sister said that they had trouble stablizing him. In addition to the bleeding, he had obvious broken bones. They ended up airlifting him to a hospital in Chattanooga. I just checked the local radio website and found out that he was pronounced dead on arrival there. Here is the link to the article (http://wjle.com/node/4079). I just called my sister and told her. Needless to say, she was pretty upset.

Catlady711
03-22-2008, 11:08 PM
That's horrible, the poor man!

I've only ever seen a motorcycle wreck once right after it happened. My dad pulled over to see if he could help but the guy apparently had been going very fast when he wrecked because his helmet had slid across the pavement and just wore away leaving no protection for his head. I still shiver when I'm around a motorcycle now.

Moesha
03-22-2008, 11:20 PM
I wasn't there to see it, but when she called here while waiting for the police to take their statements and gave the brief details of the incident, my stomach just turned every time I thought of it. I can't imagine having been there and seeing it. I bet she'll have bad dreams. I might and I only heard about it. I did see her afterwards, but I didn't really get to talk to her about it. I just heard bits and pieces of her firsthand account. She was pretty shaken by the whole thing. I can't imagine having an occupation where that is something you encounter often, like state troopers or EMTs.

Motorcycles scare me. If any of you ride, please, please use protection and caution each and every time you are on one.

caseysmom
03-22-2008, 11:21 PM
That is really sad, RIP to the motorcycyclist. I hope your sister and husband are okay that would be really upsetting.

DJFyrewolf36
03-22-2008, 11:35 PM
How sad for your family. :( I've witnessed a couple of motorcycle accidents commuting. I never had to respond to one but my husband has as a voulunteer fire fighter. He said some of the worst accidents he has seen have involved motorcylces.

Freedom
03-23-2008, 08:02 AM
Prayers for everyone involved, your sister and husband, the motorcyclist's family, the responding police and ambulance attendants. It is horrible to see those things. RIP, motocyclist.

Moesha
03-23-2008, 08:28 AM
They released his name this morning. It's Steve Mabe Sr. I know I am familiar with that name somehow. I just can't figure out where I know it from.

EDIT: I just did a few searches online and that name popped up several times from news reports in my town. Both Sr and Jr have been arrested. Drugs and even attempted murder by Jr a few months back. At least now I know why the name was so familiar. It doesn't change the terrible scene though.

Laura's Babies
03-23-2008, 09:24 AM
My middle son always wanted a motorcycle. When he was a teen and was having some health problems, his doctor made me promise that before I bought him one, that I would come work in the emergency room with her for a week end so I could see the damage they do..

My brother has bought himself one and I HATE the thought of him having one! His own BIL got killed on one several years ago and I don't understand why my brother wanted one.

moosmom
03-23-2008, 10:05 AM
Motorcycle accidents are some of the most gruesome. Especially when the riders aren't wearing helmets. I've seen many of them in my Paramedic career and as an Auxiliary State Trooper.

One that sticks in my mind the most was of a guy who was on leave from the Navy. He was at his best friends house and showed up pretty drunk (after drainking 3/4 of a bottle of Jack Daniels). He took his friend's motorcycle for a joy ride around the cul-de-sac with no helmet. As he rounded a corner, the bike slipped out from under him. He went flying head first into a telephone pole. It was NOT pretty. There was nothing left of his head and, of course, he was dead on impact. Sad.

ramanth
03-23-2008, 02:29 PM
That's so sad. :(

When I was 15, my parents and I were first on the scene at a drunk driving accident. The drunk driver was actually tailgaiting us, and when he finally roared past us, my dad said, "He's gonna kill someone."

Minutes later we come up to find the truck had hit a car full of teenagers head on. The drunk driver fled the scene and my parents were trying to help keep the kids alive. Mom actually found a weak pulse on one of the boys that the paramedics thought was gone.

Three kids died. :(

Neighbors and police finally found the drunk hiding in a barn.

:mad: :(

CathyBogart
03-23-2008, 03:06 PM
RIP Steve. Ride it like you stole it. :(

RICHARD
03-25-2008, 12:51 AM
On the way home one night I came across a headlight in the road that didn't look right, I told my passenger that it was a m/c crash that had just happened, I pulled over and asked them to stay in the car.

Another car stopped and we both got out and helped the rider to the curb.
We got his bike out of the road, it was a Honda GL 1000-this thing weighed a ton.

A few seconds later a metermaid from the traffic enforcement section pulled up. He came over with a flashlight and shined it on the guy to see it he was hurt.

I almost tossed my cookies.

This dude had a spot in his forehead that you could have set a egg in-half of it in, the other half out.

We tried to get the guy to sit but he kept on insisting that he already had that injury. The copper called an ambulance and I split.

Medusa
03-25-2008, 07:41 AM
The last guy I dated for 3 1/2 years rides a motorcycle and we had a really good time. He's quite a responsible rider, though; doesn't take chances. We used to ride to covered bridges here in Ohio, pack a picnic lunch and have a really good time. We used to do poker runs, too, but there's usually a 'hotdog' who spoils it for everyone else, who speeds and rides erratically, so we stopped going to them. There are no helmet laws in Ohio but we chose to wear them anyhow. Come riding weather when I hear all the bikes going by, I'm sure I'll miss it. This was a tragedy that you reported, to be sure, but the riders that we used to associate with are pretty responsible. We choose safety over daring.

mruffruff
03-25-2008, 08:30 AM
My son died at 21 when he was thrown from his cycle. He was on an entry ramp to the highway when he hit the curb. His helmet met a utility pole and split. This was 21 years ago in Cleveland, OH.

I loved riding with him, but now I'm scared to even to be driving near one.

Medusa
03-25-2008, 08:38 AM
My son died at 21 when he was thrown from his cycle. He was on an entry ramp to the highway when he hit the curb. His helmet met a utility pole and split. This was 21 years ago in Cleveland, OH.

I loved riding with him, but now I'm scared to even to be driving near one.
Oh, I'm so sorry! Twenty one years is not long enough to have your son but it sounds as though you had a good time together while he was here. I can certainly understand why motorcycles would scare you. It would do it for me, too, for sure.

mmloves
04-17-2008, 09:24 PM
ummm.... i was reading this thing and i came across the names of my uncle and cousin and i just would like to know why this is being talked about? and yes my uncle steve mabe sr did die in the motercycle crash and i miss and loved him dearly it is very hard being his brothers daughter because we are having a hard time. we never really got to see him and then when we did it was at his funeral and yes steve mabe jr is in jail but i belive he didnt do it because that doesnt seem like him, my uncle died pretty much at the sight of impact crushed all of his ribs and punchered his inturnal organs...

mmloves
04-17-2008, 10:01 PM
They released his name this morning. It's Steve Mabe Sr. I know I am familiar with that name somehow. I just can't figure out where I know it from.

EDIT: I just did a few searches online and that name popped up several times from news reports in my town. Both Sr and Jr have been arrested. Drugs and even attempted murder by Jr a few months back. At least now I know why the name was so familiar. It doesn't change the terrible scene though.

i am steve mabe sr. niece and i would like to know why you guys are perticularly talking about my family members, steve mabe sr. died in the motercycle crash and he pretty much died at the sight of impact, he crushed all of his ribs which punkshered all of his internal organs and bled to death, i dont get to see my family very often because we live in illinois and when we did visit tannessee my uncle was in jail and i didn't get to see him and when i finally got to see him it was at his funeral, and i regreted not talking to him at all through out my life, mu cousin steve mabe jr is in jail, but i dont belive he would even try to kill someone because that doesn;t seem like somethink he would do, i am steve mabe sr's brothers daughter and for our whole family is strugling with this loss and i really miss him and love him and i wish i would have told him that once in awhile but i didn't and now i regret it, i just want to know why you guys are talking about my family?

Karen
04-18-2008, 01:14 PM
i am steve mabe sr. niece and i would like to know why you guys are perticularly talking about my family members, steve mabe sr. died in the motercycle crash and he pretty much died at the sight of impact, he crushed all of his ribs which punkshered all of his internal organs and bled to death, i dont get to see my family very often because we live in illinois and when we did visit tannessee my uncle was in jail and i didn't get to see him and when i finally got to see him it was at his funeral, and i regreted not talking to him at all through out my life, mu cousin steve mabe jr is in jail, but i dont belive he would even try to kill someone because that doesn;t seem like somethink he would do, i am steve mabe sr's brothers daughter and for our whole family is strugling with this loss and i really miss him and love him and i wish i would have told him that once in awhile but i didn't and now i regret it, i just want to know why you guys are talking about my family?

She was just talking about it, if you read the original post, because her sister and husband witnessed the accident, and tried to help the victims.

Moesha
04-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Just like Karen posted, my sister and her husband were the first ones on the scene of the accident. It was pretty traumatic for my sister and I was sharing the incident with others here. I've lived in this town all my life, and knew thatI recognized the name involved. I believe my younger brother may have gone to school with SMJr as well. There was no malice intended. I was just sharing how my family was affected by the incident.

sparks19
04-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Oh that is terrible :(

I witnessed an accident when I was just a little girl and it has stuck with me all these years and I will NEVER get on a motorcycle.

they make passengers in cars wear seatbelts but allow people on motorcycles to choose not to wear a helmet. I don't get it.

Unfortunately it is not always the irresponsible ones that get in wrecks. My brother had a bike for years and would go out cruising with a group of his friends every once in a while. they were always very responsible riders... they had wives and children to think about. Unfortunately three of his friends have since passed on in accidents involving cars that weren't paying attention and didn't see them.

My brother has since gotten rid of his bike. he has a wife and four children and after so many of his friends dying he just didn't want to risk it anymore :(

kitten645
04-18-2008, 04:56 PM
I dated someone with a bike years ago when I was young. :rolleyes: He told me that there's a saying amongst bikers that says"There are two kinds of bikers. One that's gone down and one that's going to." I wonder what the statistics are? I imagine there are many that have "gone down" and survived with minor or less injuries. It's the price you pay doing something you love I guess.

RICHARD
04-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Well, the stats on MC accidents don't tell you the tidbits like speed, alcohol, and circumstances.

I have heard of bikers stopped at an intersection and killed when they are rear ended or an accident happens in the cross traffic and an out-of-control car hits them. They are not involved in the initial accident, but in the wrong place.

There are speeding accidents, getting cut off, hitting oil or sand in a lane and losing control. The stats that an insurance company reports are as varied as a parked bike getting hit by a car to a guy doing wheelies on the freeway, falling and getting run over.

If you ride like an idiot or stupidly your chances of crashing go up. If you ride safely you can count on someone else driving stupidly.

---------------

The Speed CHannel promotes a show called Superbikers! The host has a traveling circus that does wheelies, front wheelies, standing on the tank while riding, sitting on the tank with their legs draped over the handlebars and pulling a wheelie....

The disclaimer at the beginning of the program is the usual disclaimer- stunts are done by pros, don't send us a tape of you doing stunts, and ride safely.

The kid fresh off of a 250 dirtbike that wheelies all over the place buys a 750/1000 cc bike and kills himself two blocks away from the dealership because he doesn't have the brains, talent or intelligence to realize he's not riding a dirt bike. :(

If you walk, one day you will slip or fall.

mmloves
05-06-2008, 07:58 PM
sorry for being so rude about it.... but thanks for explaining to me and i am really sorry that they had to see it.... i'm still having a hard time with it

gini
05-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Just yesterday I heard the most horrific motorcycle story as well.

A young man was late returning from lunch. He was on his way back to work on his motorcycle at a high speed. He turned into the parking lot, lost control of the motorcycle and hit a light standard head on. He was killed instantly.

Where did he work? The irony is that he worked for the headquarters of a large motorcyle firm.

I have left the company name off deliberately.