PDA

View Full Version : When is a fever too high?

Scooter's Mom
03-20-2008, 09:27 PM
As an adult, at what point is a fever considered high enough to seek emergency treatment? I took some ibuprofen about an hour and a half ago, and my temp is still reading 102.9. I feel miserable. This pneumonia thing is going to get the best of me I think.

I ate a can of soup Tuesday. 2 slices of turkey bologna yesterday. Nothing today.

I did manage to drink some today - 2 of the 16 oz bottles of water.

Thanks for any advice.
Crystal

Scooter's Mom
03-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Oh and since hubby has bronchitis, he's not sympathetic in the least. :( Although he sounds a LOT better today than yesterday.

Karen
03-20-2008, 09:39 PM
That's high, but not too alarming. If it goes up, though, or lingers for more than a couple days, I'd head to the hospital. In general, if it hits 104 as an adult, it's time to get emergency care.

You have my sympathy. Drink lots of fluids, and get as much rest as you can, that's the best you can do.

Craftlady
03-20-2008, 09:40 PM
At 104 degrees is get your butt to ER.
Temperatures are always higher in the evenings. :(
Are you on antibotics?

Scooter's Mom
03-20-2008, 09:55 PM
I am on Zithromax and an albuterol inhaler. My fever has lingered above 101 for several days.

:(
My knees even hurt now.

BitsyNaceyDog
03-21-2008, 07:54 AM
I'm sorry you're sick and having a fever is certainly no fun.
Right after Nathan was born I had a few bouts of Mastitis, each time my temperature got a bit over 104.

Freedom
03-21-2008, 09:17 AM
Crystal, make a quick phone call to your doctor's office, they can answer this best as they know YOUR specific health history! I know, using the phone is the last thing you feel like doing. . . .

Continues prayers for you improved health.

Grace
03-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Are you able to get your temp down around normal in between the spikes?

And you can alternate tylenol and ASA. Take the tylenol, two hours later take the ASA, two more hours and you can take tylenol again.

If you've been on the Zithro for 48 hours, and the temp is still up - definitely call the doctor.

Scooter's Mom
03-21-2008, 01:58 PM
We ended up going in to the ER - I got a breathing treatment and some prednisone. Part of my problem is I'm allergic to aspirin, so even though it's great at reducing fever, I can't take it or I break out in hives immediately.

Got a new inhaler to help my lungs, and the steroids they say will help too. I feel better right now, so hopefully it's a good sign. Oh - no fever right now either!

with my fingers crossed,
crystal

Grace
03-21-2008, 02:51 PM
My husband is also allergic to ASA. Glad you went to the ER and feel better.

jennielynn1970
03-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Oh gosh... I'm so sorry you're so sick! Did they make a diagnosis, or did I miss that one (I've been very flighty the past few days, lol, missing some obvious things... sigh. I swear I'm not blonde!).

I always end up at the walk in centers we have here because I can never get an appointment with my family doctor. It's really annoying. You call in for an appt. cause you took the day off for work, and they can't fit you in for a WEEK! What is up with that?!

I had an allergic reaction to Zithromax (internal hives), so the docs always grump at me because that's what they want to give me for bronchitis. Thank goodness I'm not allergic to Prednisone, that really helps me when I'm having bad upper respiratories and my asthma kicks in high gear.

I hope you feel better. Drink lots of fluids, get lots of rest. Can you take advil or aleve? I find they help a lot for joint and muscle aches. Definitely watch that temperature. That's really high.

Big hugs from PA... and hope you get better soon!