PDA

View Full Version : The final Mac update....

Glacier
03-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Putting this here so I don't hog the prayer thread anymore. It won't make much sense if you haven't read that thread, but the details are there if you really want them....

I talked to Dave, the Senior By-Law officer today. There is no way around the dangerous dog designation, but they are willing to bend the rules a bit for Mac.

They are waiving the secure enclosure requirement as my fence is good enough. The requirements under the by-law border on abusive to me--twice as long and as wide as the dog, 8 feet high with a roof. How is an active, young dog(or even an old, sedate dog) supposed to survive in a pen that he can take two strides in? If a dog wasn't dangerous before, that will ensure he becomes dangerous!

Apparently no local insurance agency will sell the dangerous dog rider. So that is technically in there, but not enforced. The AC department is trying to find a company that will sell it and dangerous dog owners will be informed when they find one. Given how well the city gov't generally works, that will be years from now! So I'm not terribly worried about that anymore. At least my house insurance isn't at risk. I have a two million dollar liability policy anyway that would cover a dog bite.

They are also waiving the muzzle requirement when Mac is in harness, as long as he's not a lead dog. He generally runs in wheel so that's not an issue. He also won't need to be muzzled when he's running on the Springer, ATV ect. So basically, when he goes to the vet, he needs a muzzle as that's about the only time Mac leaves my property when he's not in harness.

After talking to a lawyer, I have decided against fighting it in court. The outcome is too risky as the judge could order Mac's death and the lawyer's fees would be outrageous. If I had ten grand laying around, I'd be making an offer on a property outside the city limits!

I paid the fine this morning. It would go up dramatically if I was late paying. The AC officer who wrote the ticket will be bringing me a letter with the exceptions, either tonight or when he comes back after Easter. Dave assured me that paying the fine would not affect the exceptions at all.

It's not a great outcome, but it's one both Mac and I can live with.

Special thanks to Phred who's generous donation covered part of Mac's fine.

Cinder & Smoke
03-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Mac ~
There is no way around the dangerous dog designation,
but they are willing to bend the rules a bit for Mac.

They are waiving the secure enclosure requirement as my fence is good enough.

I have a two million dollar liability policy anyway that would cover a dog bite.

They are also waiving the muzzle requirement when Mac is in harness ...

I have decided against fighting it in court.
The outcome is too risky as the judge could order Mac's death ...

I paid the fine this morning.

It's not a great outcome, but it's one both Mac and I can live with.

:(

The real shame of this is He's NOT *dangerous* and doesn't deserve any of this! :mad:

Hope the Lil Kid's Dad *stubs his toe* onna bed post every morning! :p

Double-check your insurance policy to be sure there's no loop-holes for either
a breed-specific or "dangerous" dog not being covered.

And give NawTee Dawg Mac a BIG {{{HUG}}} from all his PT Phans!

THANKS to YOU for being such a GOOD Dawg Mom - through all the Trials & Tribulations!
GOOD On'ya, Tamara!!

{{{Hugs}}} ;)

Ginger's Mom
03-20-2008, 02:27 PM
I must admit that when I saw this in Dog House rather than somewhere else it scared me a little. All things considered not the worst resolutions. I am sure there are things that you do not like about it, but it doesn't sound like Mac's life is going to change to drastically. I do sympathize, as I had a foster who bit someone and had to make the decision to give up fostering until I have a yard or I retire. It's really not what we wanted but there are certain things we can live with for the good of the animals.

gemini9961
03-20-2008, 02:43 PM
I agree with Joyce, I got a little scared when I read the title and seeing that it was in the Dog House I thought the worst. This stinks but it could have been far worse. Poor Mac and Tamara what a mess for you. This is not the outcome I had hoped but it's surely not the worst.

Glacier
03-20-2008, 03:33 PM
Didn't mean to scare anyone! Just wasn't comfortable posting this in dog general; I've had more than enough people tell me to put him down and it was requested that I move it from the prayer thread...so the doghouse fit best!

Phred, my insurance policy has no breed restrictions, just lists dog bites as one of the things it covers. My agent has never asked if I have dogs, I've never volunteered that information and I'm not going to now. If we have to get the special policy for Mac, it will be with a different agency and it's own policy. Hopefully, that means my regular company never finds out. I had a hard enough time getting coverage for the house in the event of a forest fire!

If things go even close to the current plan, we'll only have to deal with any of this for a couple years. Then we can move outside the city limits and not have to deal with animal control at all.

Cinder & Smoke
03-20-2008, 05:13 PM
I've had more than enough people tell me to put him down ...

:eek: I sure hope those weren't Pet Talk Folks! :(
SHAME on whoever even hinted at the PTS route. :mad:

My agent has never asked if I have dogs ...

S/he must not *visit* to drop off the renewal paperwork, huh?
Be kinda hard not to notice a Dawg or two! :p

I had a hard enough time getting coverage for the house in the event of a forest fire!
Then we can move outside the city limits and not have to deal with Animal Control at all.

You live "pretty far" from the center of Downtown Whitehorse ...
Just what *BENEFITS* do you receive from being "CITY" residents?

Where does your Fire Protection come from - one of the two in-City Stations;
or does your primary response come from a Volunteer Station?

Does the City provide Ambulance Service?

Is there Police protection and routine patrols on your street?
Water, sewer, cable TV ... ???

And what about the maurading bands of MOOSE --- can you get help from the
Moose Police if you spot a Moose *munching* on your tulips in the front yard?

Do you get a *tax break* because you live "too far out" to enjoy all the Services
that are provided to the "downtown" residents?

Tell 'em - They'll *MISS* ya when you're GONE!

;)

lizbud
03-20-2008, 05:52 PM
Didn't mean to scare anyone! Just wasn't comfortable posting this in dog general; I've had more than enough people tell me to put him down and it was requested that I move it from the prayer thread...so the doghouse fit best!

If things go even close to the current plan, we'll only have to deal with any of this for a couple years. Then we can move outside the city limits and not have to deal with animal control at all.

Really, people said that to you? :rolleyes: They don't know you or
your circumstances, so consider the source.

Everything considered, I think it doesn't sound too terrible. It's good that
Mac won't have to be in a small,closed space & he can still go in harness.

caseysmom
03-20-2008, 05:55 PM
Tamara I know this wasn't the outcome you hoped for but it sounds livable and how dare anyone say that about Mac for gods sake he didn't even break skin.

Can he still sled? I was confused about that and that would provide him some excercize.

Glacier
03-20-2008, 06:05 PM
Can he still sled? I was confused about that and that would provide him some excercize.

Yes, that's why they waived the muzzle requirement. If he's hooked into a team, he can run without a muzzle. He can't be a lead dog, but Mac never really liked leading anyway. If he's just out for a walk, he needs to be muzzled and leashed.

caseysmom
03-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Yes, that's why they waived the muzzle requirement. If he's hooked into a team, he can run without a muzzle. He can't be a lead dog, but Mac never really liked leading anyway. If he's just out for a walk, he needs to be muzzled and leashed.

Well thats good he can get some excercize, I can't imagine a dog being confined to that size kennel, can you muzzle him and let him romp around the whole yard?

Glacier
03-20-2008, 06:20 PM
S/he must not *visit* to drop off the renewal paperwork, huh?
Be kinda hard not to notice a Dawg or two! :p

I think the actual company is based in Manitoba! Just the broker is local. We just get the papers in the mail every year to pay them more money!

You live "pretty far" from the center of Downtown Whitehorse ...
Just what *BENEFITS* do you receive from being "CITY" residents?

Where does your Fire Protection come from - one of the two in-City Stations;
or does your primary response come from a Volunteer Station?

Technically from the station in town. In reality, from a volunteer station. The city station is 25km from my house; the volunteer station is 7km. Stuart is a member of the volunteer department. They are supposed to wait for the city guys to request assistance before they respond to a fire within the city limits, but I'd call them first and let the two departments whine about it after they had put the fire out!

Does the City provide Ambulance Service?

Again, technically the city does, but the volunteer guys could get to my house much faster. The volunteer fire department is also a rescue/medical department. Having had a few situations that really needed an ambulance, I know I can drive to the hospital faster than an ambulance can get out to my house.

Is there Police protection and routine patrols on your street?
Water, sewer, cable TV ... ???

No, no, no and no....no municiple water service. I had to pay for water delivery before I had the well drilled. No assistance with the cost of drilling, which is available to some property owners outside of the city. The cops come out if called. They are pretty good about responding, but no routine patrols. We have a neighborhood watch program...guess who the rep is for our area. No sewer. I have a septic field. No garbage pick-up. We could get cable now I think, but we have a dish instead. They do plow the road occasionally in the winter and fill in holes in the summer.

And what about the maurading bands of MOOSE --- can you get help from the
Moose Police if you spot a Moose *munching* on your tulips in the front yard?

Yes, but not from the city. That comes from the Territorial department of the environment. I never call them cuz I'm always worried they'd just kill the critter. I would call if the wild animal was injured, trapped or needed assistance somehow, but not just because Elliot(that's the moose) and his buddies are hanging around.

Do you get a *tax break* because you live "too far out" to enjoy all the Services
that are provided to the "downtown" residents?

No, I actually pay higher taxes than alot of downtown residents. They base the taxes on your property value. My lot is bigger than a downtown lot so I end up paying more. Taxes are higher in some of the new subdivisions in town where the houses are fancy and sell for half a million!

Looking at that probably makes you wonder why we bought the place....Keep in mind that I didn't know a soul here and was here alone for the first six months while Stuart wrapped things up at our old home. When we moved up, we had three dogs. You are only allowed two in the non country residential subdivisions. Getting rid of Hoodoo was not an option, so we had to look at country res.

The AC by-law didn't apply to us at all until 2002. You could have as many dogs, cats, horse, goats, pigs ect as you wanted in our area. Those of us who already had critters, dog teams ect were grandfathered(if we pay for the permit annually) when they changed the by-law. I can't sell my house to a musher, I can't move my dogs within the city limits. Anyone who buys my house can have four dogs and four cats, six if all the neighbors agree in writing.

If I had known at the time that we would end up with this many dogs, we would have bought way out of town back then. At the time, three dogs and two cats seemed like plenty! The house we looked at way out in the boonies seemed awfully isolated and a long drive into work everyday. Now that house has tripled in value and property in dog team friendly areas is expensive and hard to come by!

cassiesmom
03-20-2008, 06:29 PM
it doesn't sound like Mac's life is going to change too drastically.
I thought the same thing. For heaven's sake, he isn't dangerous. The guidelines are freakin overkill from where I see it. This whole situation p*** me off because of who they're doing it to. If anyone *doesn't* deserve this, it's our Glacier.

Hope the Lil Kid's Dad *stubs his toe* onna bed post every morning!Oh, I hope he has an encounter with a truly dangerous dog so he'll understand the concept. Or at least his bare toes make contact with the bed post on a daily basis.

(Say, Glacier, I have a very Italian friend ... she can probably put you in touch with cement shoemakers...)

Glacier
03-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Well thats good he can get some excercize, I can't imagine a dog being confined to that size kennel, can you muzzle him and let him romp around the whole yard?

He doesn't have to be muzzled if he's on my property. It's only if he's off my property that he has to be on a three foot leash and muzzled and only if he's on his own, not when he's in the team.

K9soul
03-20-2008, 06:55 PM
I feel pretty shocked that anyone would actually express to you that you should have Mac put down. How sad. Thank you for explaining how it all works out though and I am very glad for you and for Mac that he can still sled.

Reminds me when I was 13 or so and got my collie, Cody. He played a bit rough and more than once I had teeth bruises here and there when we were playing (mutual running and playing). Not that it was good and now I would of course want to curb that but it was a far, far cry from him being vicious or dangerous.

I think I would be so very frustrated and drained in dealing with all you have in this situation. I'm so happy for you that Mac is safe.

Emeraldgreen
03-20-2008, 10:25 PM
I completely understand your desire to move out of city limits so the AC restrictions will no longer apply with regard to Mac. I had a dog back in the 90's in Arizona, a shep cross who one night was being kicked by my neighbour who was drunk and her teeth grazed his calf in the scuffle. Smokey was delcared dangerous and I was given the choice of putting her down or to follow all of the rules and there were so many! We followed them all for a few years, including having to get her tattoed with a special dangerous dog letter and number combination on her tummy. But then thankfully, I moved back to Canada and at that point, she was able to start her new life without a 'record'. She was never dangerous and one of the sweetest dogs. I had her for 16 years and never regretted keeping her despite so many people urging me to put her down.
I'm so glad that you are hanging in there with Mac and I hope one day you will be able to move to a wonderful piece of acreage where the rules of AC will not control your life or his. :)

RobiLee
03-21-2008, 05:12 AM
I'm glad that things are going to be ok for Mac. I don't like the restrictions but it is doable and sure does beat the alternative.

I would also like to say that I'm angry that people have suggested that you should have Mac put down. :mad:

cyber-sibes
03-21-2008, 07:14 AM
While it ain't perfect, at least Mac will still be here, get to run in the team, have his freedom on your property, & not have to be tattooed. Still it's a shame he's got that "dangerous dog" designation.... but it could have been so much worse. He's still gonna get to be his same happy self, completely unaware that he's got a rap sheet now! Please give that boy a big hug, glad we'll still get to see him here on PT.

Glacier
03-21-2008, 01:02 PM
While it ain't perfect, at least Mac will still be here, get to run in the team, have his freedom on your property, & not have to be tattooed.

Yanno, they never mentioned the tattooing. It is in the bylaw that he be tattooed the same way as Emeraldgreen's dog. He is microchipped. I think I'll wait and see if they list that in rules for Mac. Not gonna bring it up!

gini
03-22-2008, 12:05 PM
It hurts me so much to think that people would actually suggest that you have Mac put down.

These are not "disposable pets" that we get rid of when it becomes inconvenient.

I am just sorry that you have had to go through all of this - but glad that Mac is still allowed some freedom to run and play and be the sweetheart that he is.

cassiesmom
03-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Say, Glacier. The mega-million-dollar lottery prize is almost at $100 million. When I win we'll put part of that toward moving you away from the city limits so Mac can just be Mac. :) I was just re-reading this thread and it still makes me angry. Could you give your Doggers some hugs from me, please.

CountryWolf07
03-30-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm glad that things are going to be ok for Mac. I don't like the restrictions but it is doable and sure does beat the alternative.

I would also like to say that I'm angry that people have suggested that you should have Mac put down. :mad:

I agree. I am just glad that Mac will be OK.