PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated....

beeniesmom
03-19-2008, 04:58 PM
GGrrrr!!!!

I have been actively looking for a admin/clerical job for about 3 months now.

I've had 4 interviews from about 15 applications I've faxed, emailed and mailed.

Among the interviews, I was the top choice for 3 of the jobs.

The problem.... They won't hire me because I'm too expensive. :eek:

That is I won't work for less than 12 dollars an hour. I've had offers for 8 bucks an hr and one for 10 bucks an hr (they still are deciding).

I am currently making much more than 12 and have been for over 10 years.

What the hell is going on here. I know we are in a bad economy right now but I refuse to work for peanuts. It makes me mad. I have a lot of experience and have worked for many top companies.

I am just getting so frustrated. I LOVE the job I am in now but it is a temporary contractor type position. The project I am working on for them is almost complete.

I just want to cry. I think I deserve better with my education and experience.

AHHGGGGgggghHhhhh! :mad:

Freedom
03-19-2008, 05:01 PM
I guess it is the old 'supply and demand.' Not only is the economy bad, but lots of folks are out of work. They need the jobs to support their families, and the hiring managers know they have a large, qualified pool from which to select. So they don't need to pay top dollar right now, in this market.

pitc9
03-20-2008, 07:23 AM
You said the job you're at now is a temporary position, did you get it through a temp agency? My last 2 jobs I found through a temp agency.
I liked it because while I was waiting for "the perfect" job to come along they sent me out to other short term temp jobs, granted I was making less money... but still it was at least some money till my job came along.

I wish you all the luck in the world! I hope the perfect job comes along soon!

gemini9961
03-20-2008, 08:05 AM
I feel for ya Carmen. It would be hard for me to make less than what I make now. I have bills to pay.

Medusa
03-20-2008, 08:19 AM
That's a problem, to be sure. After not having worked in the corporate world for quite some time, when I finally did get back into it, I had to take a job as an asst. manager at commission only pay to start. It was mandatory 12 hour days and I had a 1 1/2 hour commute each way. Then when I got home, I had a briefcase full of paper work to do. I was no youngster when I took the job and I lasted 3 weeks before I'd had enough. So I'm back to being self employed. Try a positive affirmation that you are finding the "perfect job w/perfect pay" and say it several times over each and every day. That way you'll be creating the vibe for the right job to come to you. Another affirmation that works for me is "All financial doors are now open to me; all financial channels are now free to me; the whole, wide world now says 'yes' to me". Give it a whirl; what have you got to lose? :)

Taz_Zoee
03-20-2008, 09:26 AM
I hear ya! That is why I have not found a job closer to home. I have been at my current job for over 4 years and my hourly wage has gone up $7 in those 4 years. To leave here would mean I'd have to take a pay cut. Every place I've looked is offering the hourly wage I started here with. That's going backwards, IMO.

So I'll tell you what I keep telling myself. There is the perfect job out there for you. It will come. Patience. (maybe you'll listen to me better than I do:p)

Good Luck!

moosmom
03-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Take it from someone with LOTS of rejection experience. Businesses don't send out reject letters anymore, they just leave ya hanging. I would follow-up 3 times, but no more as you'll be labled a pest.

Looking for full-time work is a full-time job. I'm glad I'm retired. It can be very frustrating.

Good luck.

Animalhouse26
03-20-2008, 10:25 AM
I know what you mean! i have been jobless over a yr now. I have had a LOT going on since I lost my job to keep me from being firm on looking for a job the whole time. But, I have done my share of interviews. Things aren't getting any easier. Stick to your guns for what you want. You will find someone that is perfect for you!

Randi
03-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Have you tried putting your CV into some of the jobdatabases? Then companies may come looking for you! ;) The pay you get sounds very low, but then, I can't really compare. I'm also working for temp. agencies, but unfortunately, they don't have jobs all the time. :( In my last job I was paid $25 an hour, and the temp. agency had already got half, or more. Here, the working week is 37,5 hours - including half an hour lunch break. Some places you pay for that yourself, and some not.

The lowest wage you would get here is probably around $20 an hour, and that is if you work in a supermarket.

Well, I'll keep looking, and I wish you luck finding a job with a decent wage! But remember, it's just as important it's a place you thrive!

jennielynn1970
03-20-2008, 10:45 AM
The lowest wage you would get here is probably around $20 an hour, and that is if you sit in a supermarket.

Aren't the taxes in your country really high as well?? Sweden was the same way. The minimum wage was and outrageously high amount, but the taxes they took out of the paycheck were outrageous as well.

The one thing I remember about Sweden though was that even though taxes were high, it was a socialized economy, and health care and all that was covered, which I'm sure took a bite out of the extras you have to pay per month.

Randi
03-20-2008, 10:53 AM
Oh yes, taxes are high here - I pay the lowest though, which is 39%. Then, if you own a house or have taken loans for cars, boats, etc. you can deduct that, so of course, the richest people end up not paying very high taxes, if they know how to go about it. :rolleyes:

And yes, it's free for everyone to go to a doctor and to a hospital, but you pay for the dentist.

Petrol is quite high here too - but distances aren't like in the USA. However, parking in the inner city has really gone up!

A normal Bank Assistent who is 40 and have 20 years of working experience would get in between $5.700 - 6.600 a month. And a shop assitent 30 years old with 10 years of working experience would get $5.060 - 5.450 a month.

cyber-sibes
03-20-2008, 11:39 AM
I used to have a job that paid $12./hr, got laid off. Was told I could come back.... depending on how little I was willing to work for. :mad: That was like a smack in the face! I told them I was already working for the lowest wage I would accept, but I was willing to go to part-time if that helped them stay in budget, as I would use my free time to generate other work - they had me back full time soon afterwards.

Good luck. It is frutstrating. the last job I got on the "short list" would have been wonderful - but it was a govt. job & they were obligated to offer it first to any veteran who applied, even though I was more qualified. There were 3 vets in front of me on the list. :( So I'm still looking.

Ginger's Mom
03-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Even allowing for the difference in tax rates, your wages are much higher over there (I would say about 15-20%) higher than over here. And your medical expenses are free? Nice. :)

Carmen, I too feel your pain. If it were possible now to go to a new company and get paid at a rate somewhat comparable to what I am making here, I would be gone. It's funny, even the "experts" are now advising people that if you can't negotiate a higher salary try to negotiate extra benefits (like two extra vacation days or a pass to the company gym is going to help pay the electric bill :rolleyes: ). Stick with it; they say that you should expect to be out of work for one month for every $10,000 of yearly pay. Hope you don't have to wait that long.

beeniesmom
03-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Wow, thanks for the replies.

Pitc9: The PT job I'm in is not from a temp. agency. I was contacted directly from the owners because they already knew me (luckily) and somehow found out that I was on the market for something better. Instead of advertising the job on the newspaper they called me. It was supposed to be a 3 month project but has turned out to be almost a year now.
I know it's winding down now.

Moosmom: I haven't followed up with anyone. I know this sounds awful but I figure my resume speaks for itself. If they like it, they call me. :o

Randi: I don't trust the job databases here. You never get contacted by serious companies (at least by my personal experience).

ANYWAY.... You all won't believe this but one of the companies that initially turned me down called me at home this morning as I was walking out the door. They said that they are considering an increase to what they initially proposed. They wanted to know if I was still interested.
I said that I was indeed. They will call me back sometime tomorrow and let me know what this proposed increase is. The guy I am supposed to work for said that he was very impressed with my resume and with my interview ...and the fact that I speak fluent italian since one of their larger clients is an Italian firm is a PLUS for me!

WISH ME LUCK!!! :)

Muddy4paws
03-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Fingers crossed for you!

lizbud
03-20-2008, 04:51 PM
ANYWAY.... You all won't believe this but one of the companies that initially turned me down called me at home this morning as I was walking out the door. They said that they are considering an increase to what they initially proposed. They wanted to know if I was still interested.
I said that I was indeed. They will call me back sometime tomorrow and let me know what this proposed increase is. The guy I am supposed to work for said that he was very impressed with my resume and with my interview ...and the fact that I speak fluent italian since one of their larger clients is an Italian firm is a PLUS for me!

WISH ME LUCK!!! :)

It's good you speak another language. That's what it seems to take
now to land a job. Adding more skills to your resume certainly helps.
Good luck. :)

Edwina's Secretary
03-20-2008, 05:09 PM
Randi: I don't trust the job databases here. You never get contacted by serious companies (at least by my personal experience).

A view from the other side....

I often do recruiting for my clients. I HATE doing reverse search (cruising databases) because it is a) more work than screening responses to an ad and b) I hate cold calling people. That said the boards (Monster, CareerBuilder, DICE) tell me that the database is a better route for employers...AND they tell that to people looking as well. Of course, they charge me far more to reverse search than to run an ad! If the client is willing to pay for it I will do both. But it is expensive so doing it without a "real" job would be a waste.

I cannot stress how important follow up to an interview is for a candidate. I have seen a well-written thank you note after an interview make the difference in which candidate got the job.

Sounds like this company has seen your value! Good luck. If you would like I can also review your resume if you pm it to me. A good resume doesn't get the job but it gets the first interview....and there are things that can make your resume stand out from the others (and visa versa!)

Catty1
03-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Fingers crossed and PT Prayers being sent! :)

beeniesmom
03-20-2008, 08:38 PM
If you would like I can also review your resume if you pm it to me. A good resume doesn't get the job but it gets the first interview....and there are things that can make your resume stand out from the others (and visa versa!)

Thanks. I will pm it to you.
carmen