PDA

View Full Version : Dog hair sweaters

Randi
03-19-2008, 09:36 AM
I absolutely can't see anything wrong with it! As the couple say, they have their dog close to their heart, and they're not doing any harm at all. :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/7304452.stm

Ginger's Mom
03-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Our own Corinne, made several Pet Talkers sweaters and scarves made from their own dogs hair. It is a nice idea.

Randi
03-19-2008, 09:44 AM
Oh yes, I remember seeing some pictures of them here, but could not remember who made them.

I bet it takes a lot of fur to have enough for a sweater. :eek:

K9karen
03-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Like a dummy, I didn't keep enough RB Cody hair for Corrina to make anything huge. But I think I have enough Logan hair to make a couple of sweaters..maybe even a bedspread!!! :p

chocolatepuppy
03-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Hope you don't mind me adding a picture, here's a scarf made by our sweet Corrina, made from my RB Mandy's fur. Surprisingly, it only took a good bread bag full of fur to make it.;)
http://www.headporting.net/DSCF3056__Custom_.JPG

dukedogsmom
03-20-2008, 12:19 AM
I've still got 2 bags of Duke's hair. I don't know who to send it to, now. I'm afraid to send it to just anyone. I want to use it in a blanket with some hand dyed yarn I have that was a gift.

Giselle
03-20-2008, 02:27 AM
The Lab lady in our class makes dog hair sweaters and hats. I think it's lovely :)

My agility instructor actually had her make a dog hair hat, but it is mixed with sheep's wool for strength and durability reasons, I think.

pitc9
03-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Right now I'm collecting fur to be made in to yarn.
Annette, I'm glad you said that scarf only took a bread bag full to make. I started collecting fur in a gallon zip lock baggie. So I'm sure that would be enough..right?
Sierra blows coat like a Northen breed or wolf does so it's easy to pluck the puffs of undercoat (although she doesn't like it! :rolleyes: )
I can't wait till it dries out a little so I can pin her down outside (yes... I litterly have to have my hubby hold her down in order to brush/rake her) and fill the bag!!
Val, I haven't even started looking for someone to spin it, but I know my mom has lots of crafty friends and I'm hoping that she knows someone.

Sighthounds4me
03-20-2008, 03:47 PM
I stumbled upon a lady who wants to spin some hair for me...

Last summer, we went to a show in the central part of WI, and then to a concert by a favorite local band (at a state park). I was walking Manero, trying to get him to poop (he wouldn't). I was approached by the mother of one of the performers, who was very impressed with Manero. She was running her fingers through the hair on his shoulders, asking if I'd ever done fiber art with the boys. I said no, because I can't afford it. She said, "well I spin...I could do it for you!" So, we will be getting together this spring...

Glacier
03-20-2008, 03:51 PM
I have one of Corina's sweaters. It's awesome, but it has to be very cold before I can wear it. It's toasty warm!

I also have a winter hat made from my dogs' fur. Corina didn't make that one, another friend did. I love it, but again, it has to be very cold to get it out.

chocolatepuppy
03-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Annette, I'm glad you said that scarf only took a bread bag full to make. I started collecting fur in a gallon zip lock baggie. So I'm sure that would be enough..right?
For a scarf, most likely. The fur was 'smoohed' in the bag kind of tight. ;) I know Corrina told me she added a bit of something else to the tassles on the end for strength.