PDA

View Full Version : I am Totaly Stressing Out!! Update Post #22!*

critter crazy
03-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Yesterday, I had to take my 8yr old son to the doctirs, as he has been having excruciating pain in the back of his right knee. It has been so bad, that on Friday, he couldnt get to sleep till well after 1am! http://www.e-equestrian.com/images/smilies/frown.gif So the doc, checked him over, and decided it would be best, if they sent him for X-Rays. He had 3 X-Rays taken of his right knee, which of course he thought was the coolest!http://www.e-equestrian.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif We wont know the results of the X-Rays till Tommarrow.
If the X-Rays come back clean, then the doctor thinks that he Has a Type of growing Pains that Cause Excrucitaing pain in the Joints, especially the knees. He will then be Taken out of Gym class at school, and be placed in Physical Therapy.

There is also the chance, that he could have a mass, as in a tumor. This one concerns me, as his father had a mass in his knee when he was a child, and had to have many surgeries to remove it. and to this day still has problems. Thankfully his was non cancerous. Of course, my biggest fear, is to find out my son has Cancer!http://www.e-equestrian.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

He could also have Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. For an 8yr old boy, to have that, well it isnt cool. My son loves to run around, play sprots ect. This would not be fun for him. The doctor did say, that in some cases, children with Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, out grow it once they hit Puberty.

All I know is that I am freaking out! All I want is for my baby to Happy and healthy! My boy has been through so much in his 8yrs already, he does not need one more thing on his plate! Hell neither do I! I am so scared to find out the results of the X-Rays tomarrow!

f you can, could you please Spare a prayer that my baby will be Okay!

Catty1
03-19-2008, 09:57 AM
I've heard of boys growing too fast for their bone health to keep up. It can be really painful.

Ask the doc about some extra supplements for him, if all turns out well - especially calcium/magnesium combo.

Prayers that your son gets an all-clear! :)

Karen
03-19-2008, 10:16 AM
He'll be in our prayers.

Sparklecoon
03-19-2008, 10:19 AM
Your son will be in my thoughts. As for you take a deep breath. Don't stress yourself out til you hear about the x-rays. Think positive.

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Try not to make conclusions yet; a "tumor" is only one of several possibilities.... . I know it isn't easy, but your son will feel your anxiety... .

Growing pains can be very painful!! I know, cause I had that when I was 14.
I wasn't even able to sit down because of my knees hurting so much! I wasn't allowed to any kind of gymnastics during 1 year!

He will be in my thoughts (and so are you), that's a promise!!

IRescue452
03-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Positive thoughts coming your way. Hopefully it will be nothing too serious.

shais_mom
03-19-2008, 11:29 AM
my nephew is now 7 and was dx'ed with Juvinelle RA when he was 5. I myself was dx'ed with it when I was 14, when I had orthoscopic surgery and the dr said I had more arthritis in my knees than the average 65 year old. :eek:
My nephew was on meds everyday for a year and is now off the meds, he had knee pain as well. It never stopped him. He ran and played baseball and gym and wrestled.
good luck!

kimlovescats
03-19-2008, 12:09 PM
Growing pains are very common ... especially in boys who are going to be tall! Is his Dad pretty tall? I know my stepson used to cry at night and my hubby would have to go in and rub his legs for him. He ended up passing my hubby in height by nearly a foot! He has to duck down to go under my living room chandelier! :eek:

I really don't feel like it is cancer, but I know that is the first thing we all fear these days! TRY not to worry (yea, right, huh)!!!

Hugs and Prayers!
Kim

Freedom
03-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Prayers from RI.

sparks19
03-19-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm not going to tell you not to worry and I'm not going to tell you to think positive and I'm not going to tell you to not assume the worst....

Now that I am a mommy lol I know how pointless it is to hear those things :D it doesn't help lol

BUT... you have our best wishes and prayers that everything turns out alright. And all the hugs you can handle.

carole
03-19-2008, 02:51 PM
It is only natural as a mother you worry yourself sick when one of your babies is unwell, or hurt, been there done that,so i won't tell you to try and not worry,but try and be positive if you can and not think the worst, there can be many explanations for his pain, i hope with all my heart and soul that your little one will be just fine and it is nothing serious, take care and huge hugs at this very worrying time for you, all fingers and paws crossed he will be fine.

critter crazy
03-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Thanks you guys, all your thoughts mean the best! I know I shouldnt worry, but gosh it is so hard not to. I am however not stressing out around him. That wouldnt do him any good. Thanks for all the prayers.

Alysser
03-19-2008, 05:34 PM
I hope everything is okay with your son, crittercrazy. Please keep us updated on him. I hate to hear of kids that have medical problems. I hope it's not anything serious. (((hugs)))

Catlady711
03-19-2008, 11:09 PM
I hope the xrays come out that it's just growing pains and they can help the pain go away. The worst part is waiting for the results. Keep hanging in there and know we are all thinking of you and your son.

krazyaboutkatz
03-20-2008, 12:03 AM
I sure hope that it's nothing serious. I'll keep your son in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care.

K9karen
03-20-2008, 12:09 AM
It's impossible not to worry about what you don't know. Try to stay positive. I'll be thinking of your family and praying for the best.

Lilith Cherry
03-20-2008, 07:09 AM
Here is wishing for the best possible outcome! I will be praying and sending good thoughts to your family too.

critter crazy
03-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Uggghhhhh.....I called this morning to get the results of the X-Ray. The woman on the phone said that they have to make sure the doctor signed off on the report, before the Nurse could call me back with the results. They will call me either today or Tomarrow!!! I am so Frustrated!! I just want to know what is going on!!http://pets-n-people.net/vb/images/smilies/added/help!.gif

Ginger's Mom
03-20-2008, 11:29 AM
More positive thoughts going out. I would hope that they will have the doctor sign off on it today and give you a call this afternoon. You don't leave a mother waiting like that when you have the results in front of you.

Medusa
03-20-2008, 11:59 AM
Far be it from me to tell you not to stress where your baby is concerned, especially after the drama that I recently experienced w/my son. When it's our kids, all bets are off. I can tell you, though, that my nephew had the first condition that you mentioned, that of growing too fast, and it was scary for all of us watching him cry but the good news is that he outgrew it, if you'll pardon the pun. Do try not to get yourself too worked up, though, regarding possible outcomes. Easy to say, I know, but take lots of deep breaths and know that all the PTers are praying for you and your son. Keep the faith. :)

critter crazy
03-20-2008, 02:31 PM
I sat here all day, patiently waiting for their phone call. Hubby calls a few minutes ago, and says there is a package he left in my car, that needed to be mailed out today. The post office is only a 10 min round tip, so I went and got it taken care of. Lo' and behold, when I get home, there is a message on my machine from the doctor!!http://pets-n-people.net/vb/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif Too bad I couldnt hear a single freaking thing except, this is Dr. So and so. http://pets-n-people.net/vb/images/smilies/eek.gif So I called them back, and she is busy, but will call me back when she can!! Argghhh......I feel like a damn prisoner in my own Home!! I dont dare go to the bathroom for fear of missing the second call!!http://pets-n-people.net/vb/images/smilies/added/bowl.gif

critter crazy
03-20-2008, 03:19 PM
I finally got the call!! Johnny's X-Rays came back Clean! Thank the lord, which means no masses or signs of Arthritis!!http://pets-n-people.net/vb/images/smilies/added/headbang2.gifThey do feel that he has what is called Osgood Schlatter Disease-
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Osgood-Schlatter (say: "oz-good shlot-ter") disease is one of the most common causes of knee pain in young athletes. It causes swelling, pain and tenderness just below the knee, over the shin bone (also called the tibia). It occurs mostly in boys who are having a growth spurt during their pre-teen or teenage years. One or both knees may be affected. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
So he has to go and see an Orthepedist, and has to have Physical Therapy. I also have to Limit his amount of Excersise. No Sports for the time Being. But all in all, not horrible news.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Medusa
03-20-2008, 03:24 PM
They do feel that he has what is called Osgood Schlatter Disease-
Yes, that's the name of the disease; I couldn't recall it earlier. Well, now you know and it isn't as bad as you might have imagined, so you can exhale now. :) Your boy's gonna be fine. I'm happy that you'll get some stress relief and you'll take good care of your son.

IRescue452
03-20-2008, 03:31 PM
A relief, but still no fun. I'll send my best wishes for some pain relief. I hope he's got some less active things he likes to do.

sparks19
03-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Oh good. I'm so glad to hear it was something relatively minor. :D

Freedom
03-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Oh good. I'm so glad to hear it was something relatively minor. :D
Amen to that!

Now he can't use 'sports practice' as an excuse not to do his homework. ;)

Catlady711
03-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Glad to hear the xrays came back with good news. I'm sure he's gonna be bummed out not being able to play sports and doing therapy, but at least it's a minor consession for a short time. Good news overall.

Catty1
03-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Great news! :)

I was wondering how the ailment got its name and who it was named for:

It was named after two physicians in 1903, Dr. Robert Osgood and Dr. Carl Schlatter. These Doctors defined the disease.

Here's a link from Mayo, with info in non-medical English, if you are interested:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/osgood-schlatter-disease/DS00392

krazyaboutkatz
03-20-2008, 11:53 PM
I'm glad to hear that he'll be fine and is just going through a growth spurt.:) Hopefully physical therapy will help him out a lot.