PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Brothers

ntep2019
03-19-2008, 08:39 AM
I have two huskie/samoyed that are about 7 1/2 months old, they are both males from the same litter. The thing is they fight all the time, at first it was the leg grabbing now they are pulling each others tails, the jump and attack each other in mid air and they drag each other into their igloo. Even when I take them on walks they fight then walk then fight. No matter what I do they still won't stop. We got them neutered around 6 months and I honestly though that would calm them down but somehow believe it or not they got smarter. They are sneaky little guys, but the funny thing is they come and tell you after they do it. Is this normal, the fighting and the sneakness?

Also another thing is they are afraid of the basement steps they will not go up or down it, they are scared of it. How can I get them to go and down steps?

Thanks for your help.

Glacier
03-19-2008, 09:25 AM
What's their body posture like when this happens? Tails up or down, hackles up, ect? This doesn't sound like fighting to me. This is how huskies play. They play rough. They look and sound like they are killing each other. If they were really fighting this much, you'd be at the vet with badly injured dogs. I have 25 huskies who play like this every day. My husband like to say that if there's no blood they are playing. The sound and outcome of a real fight are dramatically different.

Everything you described is perfectly normal husky behavior. They are smart, extraordinarily active, tricky, and full of mischief. You're just getting to the really fun part--husky adolosence. Between this age and about 18 months, most huskies go through a stage where they realize they are huskies not Labs! Prepare to be seriously challenged by their behavior!

Don't expect them to calm down. I have several dogs who are seniors and still act like puppies. A tired husky is a good husky and it take far more than a walk to tire out a husky!

pitc9
03-19-2008, 11:14 AM
I agree with Glacier 100% that sounds like play.

A friend of mine has 2 male Malamute litter mates that are about 5 years old and they fight!! Both have had stitches MANY, many times (they were neutered at 6 months of age) and there is no stopping 2 130+ pound dogs when they latch onto each other. :(

As for the steps, are the back of the steps open? I've heard of several dogs being afraid of open back steps.

pitc9
03-19-2008, 11:35 AM
Glacier, I was simply posting an example of litter mates fighting for real and not the play fighting the person that started the thread might be dealing with.

Normal malamute trait or not, I was only giving an example.

ntep2019
03-20-2008, 04:37 PM
They don't draw any blood from each other so it must be just them being huskies. Thanks for the advice, gives me an ease of mind.

What would you suggest to wearing out the huskies, I take them on 2 mile hikes and they still don't tire out any suggestions?

carrie
03-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Neutering male Malamutes or Huskies at 6 months is a bit of a hit and miss operation as far as I'm concerned.

No matter what breed you keep there can only ever be a guide to the age of castratation as each animal is different.

I have the distinct impression that the timing of castration is less of an issue than the choice of breed to keep.

These are serious dogs with serious issues and they need serious handling, neutered or not.

Castration of any dog of the sledging breeds does not automatically mean that he has lost his balls if you know what I mean.

Sighthounds4me
03-23-2008, 11:04 AM
What would you suggest to wearing out the huskies, I take them on 2 mile hikes and they still don't tire out any suggestions?

Sled dogs are VERY high energy breeds. Think of what they were bred to do - pull a sled all day long. They need energy to do this!

A two mile hike is barely getting started for them. Jogging is probably better for the dogs, but they'd still have to go longer than 2 miles.

Obedience and other training is a good start, but I would do this after a hike/run. Tiring them mentally is often just as good as tiring them physically.