PDA

View Full Version : Bipolar

elizabethann
03-18-2008, 07:07 PM
Does anybody on PT know someone who is bipolar? A co-worker has bipolar and she is having an episode. She is heavily medicated and going through therapy. She will be working from home part-time. However, she'll be coming into work one day per week.

I'm just wondering how I should interact with her and thought someone one here could help. I had to send her an email today and it had some bad news in it. I was afraid and hesitant to send it because I thought, what if my email puts her over the edge?

She said she is manic and not depressive.

Any suggestions on how I can help her handle her bipolar at work? Is there something I should do, or not do?

I've never known anybody with bipolar before (not to my knowledge) and this is all new to me.

Thanks.

CountryWolf07
03-18-2008, 07:18 PM
My friend Matt is bipolar, I interact with him both times; he is aware of it, he is just very, up and down on his emotion so he's depressive, not maniac, but he lets me be there for him either way. It's tough.

Freedom
03-18-2008, 09:41 PM
Do you know her well enough to just ask her? Maybe over a cup of coffee / tea whatever?

critters
03-19-2008, 06:59 AM
I agree that it'd be best to ask, but I just wanted to say how GREAT I think it is for you to have thought of something so thoughtful!! (OK, so that wasn't the most literary post ever, but you get the picture. :D )

Sparklecoon
03-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Treat her like a normal person. You can't go wrong with that. If she's in a manic stage she's really up. As far as work I would try to get her on one task at a time. My Mum is bipolar and in manic stages she has a tendency to spread herself thin, starting many projects but never finishing them. Also make sure she takes her regular lunch breaks and whatnot. If she's now being medicated I assume she'd not as out there as some folks get but alot of times in a manic stage a person with this disorder will forget to do simple things like eat or drink.

I've been in a psyche ward with people who were newly diagnosed or those thatdecided to go off their meds it's definately an experience but if she's getting help she's on the right track. It's probably just a matter of finding the right drug 'cocktail' to keep her symptoms under control.

Laura's Babies
03-19-2008, 09:07 AM
I have met some and worked under one that was not aware he was bipolar and worked with one that was on the meds. The meds had him evened out so he was pretty much normal but there were days when he was unusually quiet. I always took my que from him and if he was in the quiet mood, I was also quiet, spoke quietly or not at all.

He did tell me once that he couldn't believe how mean he was to his family before he got treated and can't understand how in the world they put up with him acting like that but it makes him love them all the more because they did. He said he will spend the rest of his life making it up to them.

The other guy I worked under eventually got fired and when we pass him, he still thinks he and I are GREAT friends and asks when I will come work with him again. He thinks there is nothing wrong with him, it's the rest of the world and he is such a idiot! He only has 2 moods, extreemly happy or extreemly mad. Before he got fired, his wife left him so it has greatly effected his life and he thinks he is FINE... :rolleyes:

I give your coworker credit for getting help! It means a big differance in their life!

elizabethann
03-19-2008, 11:33 AM
Interesting stuff. Laura's Babies, she has treated some people at work like trash. Several people have quit because of her. Now I'm wondering it had to do with her being bipolar.

Freedom, I wouldn't feel comfortable just coming out and asking her. We're not that personally close. It's more of a professional relationship.

She was supposed to come to work today but never made it. I think I'm just going to do my job and treat her like I normally would. If it's too much for her, she can let me know, I guess.

Thanks for the info.

kimlovescats
03-19-2008, 11:48 AM
My sister and I are both Bi-Polar ... she is Bi-Polar I and I am Bi-Polar II (the lesser of two evils). :rolleyes: Thankfully with my BP-II the swings are not nearly as severe therefore not quite as damaging and my medications do seem to help me a GREAT deal. My sister however has suffered terribly most of her life and she just got out of the hospital last week after yet another overdose in a "suicide" attempt. I say it that way because after all of the attempts you would think she would have succeeded or done more damage but I really think it is a desperate plea for help from her!

Anyway, in my opinion, the best you can do is just be available to talk when she feels the need. Let her know that you realize she has a disease and isn't just a "bad or mean person"!!! Yes, we often get ourselves into trouble and ruin relationships but trust me, we suffer greatly from that. It comes to the point where you feel like "damaged goods" and you avoid relationships and people in general in order to spare them and yourself the pain. Thank GOD that I have my husband who loves me unconditionally and is always by my side. Sadly, my sister has not been able to find a wonderful man and has scared quite a few away with her illness. :(

The thing that I would most want people to know about Bi-Polar Disorder is that it is an ILLNESS ... a chemical imbalance in the brain at the very least ... and it can take years to ever get the right medication mix and it does tend to get worse with age!!! We do not choose to be this way and we would just like for the population to educate themselves more and realize that what we do is typical for the disorder ... we are not just mean, nasty, or crazy people!

Kim

shepgirl
03-19-2008, 12:45 PM
If she stays on her meds, things should be not too bad. But sometimes things get out of control and you will find yourself in a tight spot. I've known some to become quite violent, others are the opposite, when the are manic they go way ou on a limb for everything. Very hard to deal with sometimes, but the best you can do is be there when she needs a shoulder or an ear. And if things are said that makes you feel resentful, remember, it's mostly aimed at herself, not you. If they can stabilize her with the right meds, things should go smoother for everyone involved.