PDA

View Full Version : LOoking for a simple oatmeal cookie recipe.

RICHARD
03-18-2008, 02:56 AM
I wanted oatmeal cookies tonight.

I looked at the oatmeal canister I had and it was the cheap brand of oats. NO RECIPE!

I looked on-line and came across some recipes that needed stuff I didn't have.

One reciped called for some MIRACLE WHIP...

I need a simple oatmeal raisin recipe that a moron can make.

Thanks.

Karen
03-18-2008, 03:30 AM
I LOVE oatmeal cookies - let me check the pantry, I'll get the recipe for you!

From the Quaker Oats box - and website:

ingredients
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup vegetable shortening (but I use butter)
1/2 cup granulated (white) sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup raisins or choc. chips

preparation
1. Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, beat brown sugar, shortening and granulated sugar until creamy. Add egg, water and vanilla; beat well. Add combined oats, flour, salt and baking soda; mix well. If you want, you can add 1 cup of raisins or chocolate chips at this point, but I like them plain.
2. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
3. Bake 11 to 13 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.

Medusa
03-18-2008, 05:45 AM
This is my favorite:
Go to store. Purchase cookies. Drive home. Eat said cookies.

kittycats_delight
03-18-2008, 06:03 AM
Oatmeal Raisin Crisp Cookies

1 cup soft butter or margarine
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1-1/2 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3 cups Oats
1-1/2 to 2 cups raisins

Preheat oven to 350
Grease or spray cooking sheets generously
Cream butter and 2 sugars until fluffy
Stir in vanilla then add eggs one at a time beating well after each
Sift flour, salt & baking soda together
Add to creamed mixture
Stir in oatmeal and raisins
Drop by rounded teaspoons 2" apart on to greased sheets
Bake for 10-15 minutes only
Cool 1 minute on sheet before removing (prevents sticking or crumbling)

Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups oats
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
-1 1/2 cup raisins

1. Beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy on medium speed.
2. Beat in eggs and stir in rest of ingredients w/ large fork/spoon. Add vanilla.
3. Drop onto greased cookie sheet
3. Bake 8-10 minutes in a 350 degrees preheated oven

Didn't know if you liked em crispy or chewy so there is one for each. :p

Rachel
03-18-2008, 07:19 AM
Strange you asked as I recently googled for an oatmeal cookie recipe. I wanted one that used oil instead of another type of shortening. I have this notion that olive oil makes a healthy version. Whether it is true or not, I don't know. Anyway I quickly found one that used oil and it worked just fine. I could also use 1 cup whole wheat flour with 1/2 cup regular flour. I added some chopped nuts and chopped up dried cherries - more healthy stuff. Oh, I also added some cinnamon which the recipe didn't call for, and lightened up on the sugars a bit. They turned out great.

Randi
03-18-2008, 09:10 AM
The link in this thread has step by step pics, so you can't go wrong!

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=138996&highlight=flapjacks

I'm not going to comment on the ones I made. :o I need THE recipe from Lamb Inn in Burford!!

Oh, and this may come in handy.... http://www.convert-me.com/en/

pitc9
03-18-2008, 09:22 AM
Just last week I was grocery shopping and picked up a pack of Oatmeal cookie mix that all you do is add 1 egg, butter and water.
I don't like rasins, but I had mini peanutbutter cups so I mixed those in.
TA-DA!!
And they were Gooooood!

moosmom
03-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Can you say PILLSBURY??????

No fridge is complete without it!! Just in case you have one of those nights where ya just GOTTA HAVE 'EM!!!

RICHARD
03-18-2008, 11:39 PM
Thanks,

I gave up after the Miracle Whip cookies.....eecckkk.....that made me ill.

Randi,

LOL, even I can follow the pictures! :D

Sirrahsim
03-21-2008, 10:52 AM
I LOVE oatmeal cookies - let me check the pantry, I'll get the recipe for you!

From the Quaker Oats box - and website:

ingredients
3/4 cup vegetable shortening (but I use butter)
1/2 cup granulated (white) sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup raisins or choc. chips

preparation
1. Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, beat brown sugar, shortening and granulated sugar until creamy. Add egg, water and vanilla; beat well. Add combined oats, flour, salt and baking soda; mix well. If you want, you can add 1 cup of raisins or chocolate chips at this point, but I like them plain.
2. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
3. Bake 11 to 13 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.

I *HATE* oatmeal cookies. I always have. This morning I needed an activity to do with Tyler so I decided to make these since I can pretend that they are healthier than regular chocolate chips :D He had a blast making them with me and I am surprised to say that I don't hate them.... In fact I kind of enjoy them :) Who knew??

Karen
03-21-2008, 12:07 PM
I *HATE* oatmeal cookies. I always have. This morning I needed an activity to do with Tyler so I decided to make these since I can pretend that they are healthier than regular chocolate chips :D He had a blast making them with me and I am surprised to say that I don't hate them.... In fact I kind of enjoy them :) Who knew??

Excellent - a new convert! :) And yup, cookie baking was each of my siblings and my first experience getting to help cook in the kitchen! Ma had a giant, deep bowl to mix dough in, so that even small, enthusiastic stirrers didn't get flour over the edge!

Sirrahsim
03-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Excellent - a new convert! :) And yup, cookie baking was each of my siblings and my first experience getting to help cook in the kitchen! Ma had a giant, deep bowl to mix dough in, so that even small, enthusiastic stirrers didn't get flour over the edge!

I use the slightly less hands-on approach of having Tyler help me dump the ingredients into the stand mixer :D :D He still thinks he's cooking :D :D

Karen
03-21-2008, 12:13 PM
I use the slightly less hands-on approach of having Tyler help me dump the ingredients into the stand mixer :D :D He still thinks he's cooking :D :D

We didn't get to actually stir until we were four years old, usually gingerbread dough at Christmas time. I remember standing on the kitchen chair with the wooden spoon, stirring the flour mixture into the molasses! And I remember Lady's Human, when it was his turn, when he was four. Sometimes we'd get to work the crank-type sifter at that age, too.

Sirrahsim
03-21-2008, 12:21 PM
How fun!! When we make no bake cookies Tyler gets to help me hold the spoon while I stir in the oats :)

I hope that Tyler and Austin will have fond memories of helping with the baking when they are older!