PDA

View Full Version : Went cat fishin' today.

RICHARD
03-17-2008, 10:09 PM
Caught myself a 20 pound cat on a nylon line with a piece of fake fur!

----------------------------

Ugh, I hate cat fishing...
If I have to go, I know I am in trouble.

The Edster knows the way to and from my house to my mom's back door-at times he gets a little distracted and has to stop to see where the dogs are.

The dogs don't pose any problem. Matter of fact, if the dogs are dozing on the porch of outside my door, it's a chance for Ed to stop, sniff and move on.
Sometimes the dogs will take the opportunity to "sniff the Edster" which moves him to the door even faster.

In the process of doing a little spring cleaning I have repaired the cover to the access house under my mom's house....I am a little torn about fixing it completely.

Here's the problem.

There is a wonderful cat that visits from time to time. I think he/she lives next door to our house and comes out to stalk the parakeets in the cages on the porch. I recently saw some field mice that are there to snack on the bird food that gets spilled. So, I now know why the cat is there! The small screen above the wooden cover is how the cat gets in. IF I repair it, the cat can't travel and I run the chance of the mouse population increasing..

-----------------

Today as we were going to visit, I opened the screen door and the Edster made a beeline for the hatch and disappeared. I was hoping not to hear a cat fight or to see a repeat of the world famous "animal train" sans Nude Man.

Ed didn't fight or chase, but the little turd was sitting next to the opening, just close enough to tease, far enough to escape my grasp.

I did what any cat owner would do.

I grabbed a box of food and shook it, cooing Ed's name in the sweetest possible tone I could.

I grabbed the laser pointer, His favorite toy and shone it on the floor next to the opening.

I cursed a long string of expletives, cooed some more and thought about ways of putting more dirty words into new and undiscovered strings. :eek:

During this time, Ed would move out of sight, into sight, back, forth and toss in a head-peek out the hatch, just to irk me!

I thought about what I could use to lure him out.

I took a skein of nylon rope and tied a square of phony fur to it.

I sat on my stoop, made a few exploratory casts and sat down to wait.

About three minutes later, I landed the Catch of the Day.

--------------------

Ed made his way out of the opening, with all the hurry of someone smelling roses. I waited before I pounced, gave him a hug and tossed his arse into my house.

He took his capture all in stride, He went to the food bowl, watered himself and climbed onto the recliner for a nap.

-----------

Even now I am still ambivalent about closing up the hatch. I don't want any mice in the area, I don't want the dogs to chase the other cat around-it's also an escape area if that happens.....

But I did get to go cat fishing and it was rather entertaining....and I found out why sailors curse so much!

Freedom
03-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Oh Richard, thanks again for an entertaining read! And OH so true!

Now, we need Edster to learn to use the video function on the camera, so we can see and hear you "cooing Ed's name in the sweetest possible tone I could." :D :D

catmandu
03-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Now Gaddabout Gaddis Would Be Proud Of You Richard , For Landing The Big White Furred Trout.
As He Used To Say, Now Thats One Nice Piece Of Fishing!!!

cassiesmom
03-18-2008, 02:26 PM
It's a low-tech solution, Dad.

I took a skein of nylon rope and tied a square of phony fur to it.

I sat on my stoop, made a few exploratory casts and sat down to wait.

About three minutes later, I landed the Catch of the Day.

--------------------

Ed made his way out of the opening, with all the hurry of someone smelling roses.

Laura's Babies
03-18-2008, 04:46 PM
I love the way you tell things! I'd leave that opening uncovered so maybe you can go fishing again and we get another story.