PDA

View Full Version : The guinea pig is still depressed! :(

stormiebaby
03-17-2008, 03:04 PM
I wrote a thread a long time ago about my brothers guinea pig Jackie. Since we have had her (5 years) she has always hated human attention. Her main companion was my guinea pig who sadly passes away a year ago. Jackie has been badly affected by this and hides in her cage all day abd has recently started pulling out her fur. She has gone bald on one leg. Has anyone got any ideas why she is pulling out so much fur(we think it is depression) and anything we can do to help her.

TamanduaGirl
03-18-2008, 03:27 PM
It could also be mites or fungus or thyroid issues or adrenal or arthritis in that leg or lots of things. Have a vet look at her.

Try rescue remedy in her water just in case and it may help with the stress of the vet trip.

stormiebaby
03-18-2008, 03:40 PM
We know it isnt fleas or mite beacause we took her to the vets and she had a lifelong lasting treatment and the vet said that she could never get them again but i will book an appointment at the vets. Thanks for your help. She is really worring me. She looks really unhappy! Could she be dpressed?

TamanduaGirl
03-19-2008, 01:32 PM
It could be mental or emotional but I would look for physical causes first. You don't want to over look something physical just because it might be psychological.

I've never heard of any parasite treatments that last a life time. And a harsh treatment like that could potentially be part of the problem. Remember how the heart worm shot was supposed to last 6 months but was killing dogs.

stormiebaby
03-21-2008, 08:17 AM
Oh,

Well that is what the vet said she said the Jackie shouldnt ever need treating again and they cant find anything physically wrong with her! I am really worried! :(