PDA

View Full Version : Echo found a home!

animal_rescue
03-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Ok you guys know those pedigree commercials about the shelter dogs. Well there was particular one about a dog named Echo who kept getting passed up.

Here's his video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=_ODC5e3AEa8

Well turns out the sweet boy found a home and they aired a new commercial that I just saw today, of course when I watched it I immediately started bawling my eyes out! Gah anyways here's the new Echo commercial.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X2-h1PHRXis

Apparently they have other adopted pedigree commercials as well but I have yet to see them and can't watch them on youtube either because of no sound on my computer. :( I'm glad to see these follow ups though, how great to know they were adopted!

Freedom
03-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Aw, how wonderful! I remember the earlier commercials; haven't seen the follow up ones; YET!

Thanks for letting us know!

Grace
03-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Oh yes - I remember Echo. That commercial ran a lot during Westminster.

Thank you so much for the wonderful news!!

Alysser
03-16-2008, 08:41 PM
I had NO clue those were REAL shelter dogs, maybe that's why I always get teary-eyed watching them? Echo's real hit me hard since he was SO happy to see someone possible adopt him. I am so happy to see he got adopted and is living a happy life with his new family! His true personality really comes out.

I saw an 'I got adopted' commercial with a little white dog in it. I am so glad to know these are true stories. :)

ETA:

I found Oliver's story :D
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ADR7GiCdOpo&feature=related

Ginger's Mom
03-16-2008, 09:02 PM
I knew he had been adopted, but I hadn't seen the new commercial yet. Very cute. I always had a soft spot for Echo because he reminded me of my baby.

Aspen and Misty
03-16-2008, 09:28 PM
I love, love, love that comercial and I had no idea he got adopted!! What a wonderful thing Pedigree is doing by showing support for shelter dogs, hopfully it will change people's minds and they will adopt instead of buy from a breeder.

The one I can't watch without crying is this one:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KQ_vcv5I_KA&feature=related

The part where they say "But I know I am a good dog" and the dog they show during that part, he always pulls at my heart strings. I don't know why, but his face is always the one that makes me cry.
Ashley

Flatcoatluver
03-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Echo's commercial made me cry. I get LES just thinking about his story. I may not like pedigree's ingridients, but they are doing a wonderful thing having thease comercials. I think that gives more hope to shelter animals.

sparks19
03-16-2008, 10:33 PM
OMG I saw that commercial for the first time today and it made me tear up big time. I also didn't know they used real shelter dogs but I am so glad to hear that.

I know pedigree is a business and wants to make money and doesn't use the best ingredients but I would much rather a dog be fed pedigree in a forever home than be stuck in a shelter and eat top notch food.

I love that commercial.

Giselle
03-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Aww, I'm so happy for him! He is CUTE!

Okay, not to be a party pooper or anything, but it doesn't surprise me that Echo got adopted so quickly, though. He's adorable, sweet, fluffy, and not black (well known statistic that black pets tend to get passed over more).

Now, can we put some Pitties on these commercials??? Surely, our shelter is full to the brim with Pitties and those sweethearts could really use some positive publicity. I'd love to see a Pedigree commercial highlighting shelter Pits!

Anybody want to write to Pedigree? ;)

sparks19
03-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Aww, I'm so happy for him! He is CUTE!

Okay, not to be a party pooper or anything, but it doesn't surprise me that Echo got adopted so quickly, though. He's adorable, sweet, fluffy, and not black (well known statistic that black pets tend to get passed over more).

Now, can we put some Pitties on these commercials??? Surely, our shelter is full to the brim with Pitties and those sweethearts could really use some positive publicity. I'd love to see a Pedigree commercial highlighting shelter Pits!

Anybody want to write to Pedigree? ;)

I don't want to exactly venture a guess as to why they don't put them on their commercials because they are lovely dogs... but I suppose they would have to be quite careful on what are the dogs are from and where they would be adopted to as many areas have BSL.

K9karen
03-16-2008, 11:14 PM
I really thought Echo was a trained dog by his beautiful movements and expressions and head tilt when the people walked away from his cage. Honestly, I thought he was so handsome that someone would be nuts to give him up. What do I know. And, yeah..I immediately think of Ginger when I see that commercial.

I love the Pedigree commercials and the fact they bring attention to shelter dogs.

Giselle
03-17-2008, 12:14 AM
I don't want to exactly venture a guess as to why they don't put them on their commercials because they are lovely dogs... but I suppose they would have to be quite careful on what are the dogs are from and where they would be adopted to as many areas have BSL.
That's what I figured, too. And, unfortunately, a lot of people just plain don't like Pitties and I'm guessing Pedigree doesn't want to lose any of its customers.

Still, the voice that speaks out is the voice that makes history.

Ginger's Mom
03-17-2008, 05:42 AM
Not to take this thread too far off topic, and usually agree with most of your ideas, Sophie, but I do not think that encouraging people to go to a shelter and adopt a pit bull is a good idea. Not that I have anything against pitties, I just don't believe they are for everyone and every situation. I think it could actually hurt the breed, not help them. It's because I like Pits that I say this.

I am fairly certain that all of the pups on the Pedigree ads have been adopted. I saw somewhere (I think it was a Pedigree print ad) that showed the dates several of the dogs were adopted and they were all in the latter part of last year.

kallisto4529
03-17-2008, 07:00 AM
YEAH!!!!!!!! everytime I see that commercial I just tear up, it hurt so bad to see the look on his face and to see him not go home with someone, thank you so much for sharing this.

pitc9
03-17-2008, 07:15 AM
OMG... LES I'm so happy for Echo!
I love the part of the video where he's playing with the cat!
YEAH for Echo!!!

IRescue452
03-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Are you sure pedigree is purposely not using pitties? I figured they picked a random dog in the shelter at the time. Maybe a pittie just hasn't come up yet. They have yet to do a commercial with a lot of other breeds as well.

lizbud
03-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Happy News. :) I fell in love with Echo when I first saw his commercial.
I kept saying, "I'd adopt you sweetie" every time the ad came on TV. :D

Giselle
03-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Good point; the media is an odd tool, I agree.

I don't think Pedigree is purposely not using Pitties, per se, but, just from a quick gauge on our local shelters, at least 60-70% are Pitties/Pit mixes. I'm not sure how that is in other areas, but it seemed peculiar to me that Pedigree could run so many commercials and not include a Pit of sorts. Just wishing Pitties could get some positive publicity versus the negative kind that has been plaguing them so far :)

Seravieve
03-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Saw the 'adopted' commercial today. It was soo adorable. Just made me smile.
Looking forward to more of those types of commercials.. :D

K9soul
03-17-2008, 09:10 PM
I was so touched by Echo's story. As far as Pedigree possibly avoiding pitties, in this video, is this not a pittie type at about 10 seconds into this one?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KQ_vcv5I_KA&feature=related

Looks like one to me.

It always varies by region, but overall statistically what I have read is that lab mixes and German shepherd mixes are the most common dogs that fill up shelters. I know the local shelter where I adopted Raven rarely had any bully breeds and when they did they were snatched up fast. But it was always filled with young lab mixes, usually black, between 8 weeks and 2 years old. Tamara has mentioned it is mostly husky and husky mixes at her shelter. I suppose it's all in where you are at, and the popularity of the breed in those regions. They all need homes though, and each and every one of them deserves a home with someone who has taken the time to understand dogs and provide them what they need.

Just my meandering thoughts on the subject.