PDA

View Full Version : DreamWorks used my home in a film

gini
03-15-2008, 05:28 PM
About 3 weeks ago a lovely woman knocked on my door and asked if she could photograph my home to possibly be used in a DreamWorks film THE SOLOIST.

Hmmm, I don't usually go for this but, DreamWorks??? Sure, I said.

She came again, my home had been selected and they would only be shooting the film on my front porch. The date was given of March 7th. A few days later notice was sent out that it was delayed a week - new shooting date was March 14th.

The only thing she asked is for permission to remove my home sign, a woodpecker door knocker and my mailbox. She also wanted to remove my planters. She came again, they now wanted to film in my living room as well
and could they take the drapes down?

My brothers were having a fit - they were going to trash my home - steal things and on and on. Somehow, I just didn't think so.

They filmed yesterday and it was so much fun. The film is THE SOLOIST starring Jamie Fox and Robert Downey Jr. The Director is Joe Wright of Atonement fame and also Pride and Prejudice.

Briefly the story is about a deranged man who is extremely talented and homeless. His dream is to play at the Disney Music Hall. He plays the violin and cello. It is based on a true story.

A woman donates her cello to this man - and that is what was filmed on my front porch. They must have shot her opening the door for the postman
30 times. The postman walks up to my porch - she shows him the cello - he takes it back to his truck and drives away.

Aside from one lighting director and the actress - they were the only people who entered my home. They didn't remove the drapes - they liked mine.

The fun part was later last night. A home across the street from me was used for the main part of the film. They created a Santa Ana wind condition with these HUGE fans. They were here all night but were amazingly quiet. Huge trucks with equipment were parked on our whole street and around the corners.

The family that owns the home had been moved out to a luxury condo - all expenses paid.

We saw Robert Downey Jr. arrive last night. He was in a large black SUV with some body guards that you wouldn't want to mess with.

They invited us to share in the crew dinner - there was enough food of all kinds to feed hundreds. Handily it was set up on my neighbor's front lawn.

What does this have to do with animals? In the middle of all of this - Rascal comes prancing into the living room. Clever boy had escaped from his room. He came strolling into the living room like he was saying - o.k. what are my lines and where do I stand?

Just wanted to share a Hollywood story with you - I hope they don't cut out the part using my home. It was a lot of fun.

Ginger's Mom
03-15-2008, 05:37 PM
:eek: Wow, what a wonderful experience. The whole day sounds exciting and magical. I will definitely be on the lookout for the movie. Oh boy, I bet the next California meeting is going to be packed with people who want to see the house that has been on the big screen. Off to check airfare prices

RobiLee
03-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Wow, Wow, Wow! I think that is so cool!! I will definitely be looking for that film. It has a couple of good actors in it too and sounds like a good movie. Ohhh, I so hope they don't cut out the scene with your house in it, Gini. I want to be able to say "That is my friends house!" ;)

Sooooo Cool!!! :cool: :D :cool:

lizbud
03-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Wow, what a wonderful surprise. I too hope they don't cut a thing & then
I'll make sure to see the film. :) Sounds so interesting to be a part of a
film being shot all around you. :)

Edwina's Secretary
03-15-2008, 07:06 PM
And to think I have stepped on that front porch myself! A brush with fame!

gini
03-15-2008, 07:14 PM
And to think I have stepped on that front porch myself! A brush with fame!

Just too funny:D :D

Medusa
03-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Wow, that's an experience to remember, eh? Robert Downey Jr. is one of my favorite actors. I'll be sure to see the film and I'll be able to get a glimpse of your home at the same time. Makes me feel closer to you as I remember your kindness towards me when my son was so sick. How cool!

luckies4me
03-15-2008, 08:21 PM
That's awesome! It sounds like you had a lot of fun. :) The movie sounds very interesting as well.

kimlovescats
03-15-2008, 08:48 PM
How very exciting!!!! :eek: I hope I can remember to watch that movie when it comes out so I can see your house. Hey, did you sneak and peep through the curtains at all? :p

Cinder & Smoke
03-15-2008, 08:55 PM
They filmed yesterday and it was so much fun.
They didn't remove the drapes - they liked mine.

The fun part was later last night.
A home across the street from me was used for the main part of the film.

The family that owns the home had been moved out to a luxury condo -
all expenses paid.

Well, at least they sprung for dinner! :rolleyes:

NEXT Tyme you'll know to hold out for the Condo!
Did they promise you a line in the Credits and on the Poster?

What about Opening Night - will the Studio Car pick you up and deliver you
to the end of the Red Carpet?

Now you need a Brass Plaque on the house >>>
"THE SOLOIST" Filmed HERE

:D

RICHARD
03-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Briefly the story is about a deranged man who is extremely talented and homeless.

I saw the screenplay for this.

THe homeless man is walking down the street at three in the morning when he stumbles into a Pet Talk BBQ. The woman that throws the party doesn't know that the person is a BAGPERSON.

So, he spends the weekend, has fun and his life turns around becuase he met so many wonderful folks....

the end.

wolf_Q
03-16-2008, 12:22 AM
That's really cool! :cool: I hope they keep the scene with your home, I'll definitely check out the film too. :)

Jessika
03-16-2008, 12:43 AM
Ooooh neat!! That's so exciting :)

davidpizzica
03-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Gini, I'll be looking forward to seeing "The Soloist" and to seeing your front porch and living room. Gini, do you remember a movie called "Houseguest" that starred Sinbad and Phil Hartman? That movie was filmed in Pittsburgh in 1995 and there was a scene of Sinbad and Phil Hartman golfing. Those scenes were filmed at the country club where I work. That is the actual clubhouse they used.

Randi
03-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Oh Gini, what fun! :D I'll definately be on the lookout for that film! I was going to ask if Rascal, Annie and Emma got a part.... I do hope they got some extra treats from the yummy dinner. :p And I hope they'll send you a ticket to see the film!

elizabethann
03-16-2008, 01:05 PM
That's awesome!

I was just thinking that if the film wins an Oscar, your house could be on the map of famous LA homes! Cool beans.

slick
03-16-2008, 01:15 PM
That's awesome!

I was just thinking that if the film wins an Oscar, your house could be on the map of famous LA homes! Cool beans. :D Then we could all say "I knew her when......."

Ginger's Mom
03-16-2008, 01:45 PM
It's already in the Fireman's Guide to L.A., isn't it?

Randi
03-16-2008, 02:09 PM
It's already in the Fireman's Guide to L.A., isn't it?
Oh yes! :D Gini, you have the most peculiar people/cars turning up in your street! Will it ever stop? Hope not! :cool:

cyber-sibes
03-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Cool! Hey Richard, I like your version, too! :D

Randi
03-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Actually, the Hollywood Film Companies would have queued up to film, had they known about Firetruck 29! :D

carole
03-16-2008, 03:45 PM
How exciting for you Gini, and to see Robert Downey, that would have been the highlight for me, my sister's home was chosen for a film once too,as it looked very californian, can't remember the name of it offhand, but i don't think it was a big budget famous film,nothing like hollywood bringing itself to your home eh? :)

shais_mom
03-16-2008, 10:53 PM
omg Gini that's AWESOME!!! :D

krazyaboutkatz
03-16-2008, 11:51 PM
Wow! This is too cool.:)

Daisy and Delilah
03-17-2008, 01:33 AM
That is so cool!! I love Robert Downey Jr. too. I can't wait to see this movie. :) Congratualtions! :)

gini
03-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Thanks everyone. Well, here it is Monday - and it's back to work - back to normal.

(but you never know about my street - strange things do happen here):D

CountryWolf07
03-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Wow. That's pretty cool! :)

Pam
03-17-2008, 10:59 AM
I saw the screenplay for this.

THe homeless man is walking down the street at three in the morning when he stumbles into a Pet Talk BBQ. The woman that throws the party doesn't know that the person is a BAGPERSON.

So, he spends the weekend, has fun and his life turns around becuase he met so many wonderful folks....

the end.

LOLOL! Only in CAL EEE FORN YA!

Gini that is terrific! I am another one who can't wait for this movie to come out. It would have been nice if Rascal could have been in it, even if just for a minute. That would have launched you all into stardom! ;)

lbaker
03-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Gini, Slick, "the official PT Bag Lady" (aka mruffruff) and I actually assisted with the screenplay, RICHARD appeared the next morning to help set the stage and write it up. Durn tootin' it worked out purty gud eh? :D

pitc9
03-17-2008, 12:00 PM
Oh how fun!!

ramanth
03-17-2008, 02:20 PM
What a cool experience Gini!! :D