PDA

View Full Version : Calvin's Happy Then sad then sort of happy story

Sirrahsim
03-15-2008, 04:26 PM
At petsmart today I adopted the sweetest, most loving dog I have ever met. He had been found on the side of the road and after several weeks of lost and found ads and phone calls to nearly every vet in the area he was put up for adoption. He stole my heart immediately even though he was nothing at all like what I thought I was looking for. After debating for several hours over if I should get him or not I decided that if I walked out the doors I would always regret it.. So he came home with us. He was a gentle GIANT who was happy as a clam with Ginger, the boys, and even Boomer (who sniffed at him and decided he wasn't worth the time). We were getting ready to go to the store to buy him LOTS of dog food and things when the phone rang... After weeks of effort they had found his people. We brought him back to Petsmart and handed him off to his people who were very happy to have him back.... He was only "ours" for about an hour but I haven't stopped crying since. So... Here is our Lucky.. Though his real name is Calvin :(
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/tylerwendl/March057.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/tylerwendl/March074.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/tylerwendl/March069.jpg

chocolatepuppy
03-15-2008, 04:49 PM
Oh my, that is quite a story, yes, happy and sad. Calvin was good for a 'trial run' maybe? And you had the pleasure of his company for a little while. Of course I'm sure his owners really wanted him back too. I'm sorry it happened this way, for you. :( There are many more dogs out there to steal your heart. I know it still hurts even if you only had him an hour. :( {hugs}

Ginger's Mom
03-15-2008, 04:51 PM
Calvin sure is a cutie. And a very "lucky" boy to have found two families to love him. Be a good boy Calvin, and I hope you don't get "lost" again.

Moesha
03-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Calvin sure does look like a sweet dog. I bet his family is very happy to have him back. AND...that means that there is still an open spot in your home to help another critter that needs a good home!

Freedom
03-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Such an emotional roller coaster for you! I know in your heart you are glad he is back with his family, but it is still hard to make the switch in such a short time. I wonder why the family couldn't connect up with him sooner???

Give yourself time to recover and regroup. That is alot to take in and process all at once!

Alysser
03-15-2008, 06:05 PM
I am so sorry this happened :( It just wasn't meant to be, obviously. You WILL find the perfect dog. I promise. Calvin was a gorgeous boy.

bckrazy
03-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Wow... that's crazy. I'm sure it was heart-breaking for you, but I'm glad Calvin found his people. They must have been distraught, with him being gone for so long.

Maybe, you can take this as a sign. Finish training Ginger and allow her to grow up and bond with you. Training two dogs at once is a BIG, big challenge.

AdoreMyDogs
03-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Wow I'm so surprised Petsmart would adopt out a dog that had a home. I'm sorry you had to go threw that heart break :( I hope Calvin's owners are more careful in the future and they get Calvin microchipped and have ID tags on him....and they secure his yard. Hugs to you. Calvin is just adorable!

Sirrahsim
03-15-2008, 08:13 PM
I adopted him AT petsmart from the family that had found him and another dog, he wasn't one of the rescues that the shelters brought in. The family was getting ready to move and since they thought they had covered all the bases in looking for their owners they were looking for good homes for them. Calvin WAS microchipped as was his brother dog who was with him when he was found (an Ana.... something or other sheppard). Unfortunately the family had never registered a name or address with the microchip people so they couldn't find any info about them.
I am very sad that we had to give him back but hopefully he will live a long and happy life with his family.

kimlovescats
03-15-2008, 08:38 PM
What a beautiful boy! I'm so sorry, I would have been heartbroken too! :( At least we know his owners loved him if they caught up with him! ;)

Tollers-n-Dobes
03-15-2008, 09:23 PM
He looks like a great dog. I'm sorry you had to go through that, but I'm glad his owners found him in the end. They must've been thrilled to have him back!

In the mean time though, I honestly think you'd be doing yourself and Ginger a huge favour by not getting another dog until Ginger's better trained. That probably won't happen until she's about a year old, if not a little more. :)

Aspen and Misty
03-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Wow I'm so surprised Petsmart would adopt out a dog that had a home.

I adopted him AT petsmart from the family that had found him and another dog, he wasn't one of the rescues that the shelters brought in.

Just wanted to stress that Petsmart does not personally adopt out animals, they do allow shelters and indviduals to come and adopt out animals at there store though.

I'm sorry that you had to go through that and I hope that you find the right dog for your family. Calvin sure was a handsom man, I bet his family missed him a lot.

Ashley

Rachel
03-16-2008, 08:38 AM
In the mean time though, I honestly think you'd be doing yourself and Ginger a huge favour by not getting another dog until Ginger's better trained. That probably won't happen until she's about a year old, if not a little more. :)

I have to agree with Orangutango on this one. You've got a lot on your hands right now because your baby is also at an age requiring a lot of time and attention. I'm not saying that with the right combination of dogs it couldn't/wouldn't work out, but you're are really taking a huge chance that the situation could be overwhelming for you.

moosmom
03-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Oh Missy, I can understand how difficult it was for you to give up Calvvin. But consider your tears, tears of joy for him. He and his humans were reunited. I truly believe that things happen for a reason.

((((((HUGS)))))))

Donna

buttercup132
03-16-2008, 10:46 AM
I bet his family is very happy to have him back. AND...that means that there is still an open spot in your home to help another critter that needs a good home That's a good way to look at it.

Sorry you had to go through this but I agree, I would take this as a sign. I don't agree that you shouldn't get another dog but maybe a dog that is a mature adult and already trained.

Kfamr
03-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Knowing how upsetting it is when a furkid is missing, I am beyond ecstatic that Calvin found his family.

I know the urge is strong, but it really is a good idea to wait until Ginger is at least a bit trained and matured to bring another dog in the home. That's just my opinion though.

lizbud
03-16-2008, 11:33 AM
You didn't make a mistake in thinking what a great dog he is. Calvin is
a good name for a big sweetie like him. If I were his owner, the first thing
I'd do after I got home would be to register his ID chip with personal info.

I know if I had lost Calvin, I would be heartbroken to never get him back.

Muddy4paws
03-16-2008, 12:03 PM
things happen for a reason, you'll see. There will be a pup waiting elsewhere for you.

im also a huge believer in things happen for a reason. Just imagine how happy calvin was to see his owners, I bet they were over the moon to finally get their boy back and to learn a very valuable lesson on microchipping!