PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen a president in person?

davidpizzica
03-15-2008, 07:37 AM
I did when I was very young. In 1953 I was watching a parade with my parents when I saw President Eisenhower's motorcade come through. I recalled this because Hilary Clinton will be in our annual St. Patricks parade today and the memory came back.

chocolatepuppy
03-15-2008, 07:44 AM
I saw President Nixon. He came through a town near ours.

Pam
03-15-2008, 07:49 AM
I saw Lyndon Johnson's motorcade go through Philly back in the 60's. Just recently, I got an automated phone call from Bill Clinton telling me he was going to be in my town and inviting me to come and hear him speak. I didn't go. :p

pitc9
03-15-2008, 11:17 AM
I saw Bill Clinton when I was in High school.
I was on the drill team (dance team) for my high school and our marching band was invited to play when he was in Cleveland.

Ginger's Mom
03-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Close, but not quite. I saw Richard Nixon when he was campaigning for the Presidency in 1972 (and I wasn't even old enough to vote yet), and I saw Vice President Walter Mondale when I was standing in line to go in the Washington Monument. We were near the front of the line to go in when they said there would be a 20 minute wait (or something like that) because Vice President Mondale was bringing a visiting dignitary to see the Washington Monument. About 5 minutes later he and a small group of people walked past us and went up. We had to wait until they came out before they let us go in.

Karen
03-15-2008, 12:52 PM
I met and shook hands with Bill Clinton. He came to an event sponsored by the nonprofit I worked for at the time. He was the most sunburnt person I have ever seen walking and smiling!

And we saw Boris Yeltsin from across the street once, when he was in power.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
03-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Bush was in our town a few years ago. Dubya, that is. Not fond of him, but hey, now I can say I saw the president, lol.

Craftlady
03-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Bush Sr. was speaking at a downtown restuarant (in Akron, Ohio) and his motorcade came right by where I was working. We all stood outside and waved.

Grace
03-15-2008, 03:07 PM
My sighting goes waaaay back to 1948. President Truman was campaigning on a train trip, and my mother took us to Providence to see him when the train stopped there.

AbbyMom
03-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Saw Gerald Ford campaigning on the campus of Bowling Green State University. Shoulda voted for him.

davidpizzica
03-15-2008, 05:43 PM
My sighting goes waaaay back to 1948. President Truman was campaigning on a train trip, and my mother took us to Providence to see him when the train stopped there.
Grace, I thought my seeing President Eisenhower went waaaay back. I was BORN in 1948!

Freedom
03-15-2008, 06:19 PM
I lived in DC for 3 years for school, and saw Mr. President once or twice, can't recall. That would have been Ronald Reagan. When you are living down there, it isn't such a big deal. Now I wish I remembered more accurately! And when I first went down there, I know I was all googly eyed with every thing and everyone.

I saw Yul Brenner walking along the sidewalk in front of his hotel when he was in DC for a performance. I never saw anyone truly 'saunter' before. He had a lady on his arm, they were talking quietly but not looking at each other, just looking about. That was shortly after I arrived, and I was still in awe of it all. So it stuck in memory more. (Plus I have more admiration for actors and performers than I do politicians. :rolleyes: )

And I saw Pope John Paul from about 12 feet away, on my first trip to Rome.

Alysser
03-15-2008, 06:23 PM
I have never seen a president but my brother, being heavy in politics, has seen a few. He has seen and taken pictures with John Kerry. He talked with Hilary Clinton and Obama. Okay, maybe not presidents but presidential candidates. Close enough. ;)

Grace
03-15-2008, 06:54 PM
I saw Yul Brenner walking along the sidewalk in front of his hotel when he was in DC for a performance.

Now that would have made my day!! I saw him on the stage once, in The King and I - still think he was one of the sexiest men around.

Grace
03-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Grace, I thought my seeing President Eisenhower went waaaay back. I was BORN in 1948!

I've got 8 years on you, David!

*LabLoverKEB*
03-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Saw Gerald Ford campaigning on the campus of Bowling Green State University. Shoulda voted for him.
My mother went there!

columbine
03-15-2008, 08:47 PM
I shook hands with President Ford. I'm not sure why he was taking a train to Middle of Nowhere, New Hampshire, but we went, because it's not every day you get to see a President (unless you live in DC) whether you agree with said President or not! My brother and I were watching to see if he tripped or stumbled, because he had a reputation for being clumsy. :rolleyes:

Love, Columbine

Grace
03-15-2008, 10:12 PM
I never saw President Ford, but once took care of one of his Secret Service agents.

Was working in the ER - took a nice looking young man into a room - he was complaining of flu symptoms. I asked him to remove his jacket, so I could take his blood pressure. At that point he told me he was armed - meaning carrying a gun. I looked at his chart and saw he worked for the U.S. Treasury. He had been out in Colorado with the Ford's while they were skiing. Then he stopped on the way back to D.C. to visit a friend.

smokey the elder
03-16-2008, 07:52 AM
I shook hands with President Ford. I'm not sure why he was taking a train to Middle of Nowhere, New Hampshire, but we went, because it's not every day you get to see a President (unless you live in DC) whether you agree with said President or not! My brother and I were watching to see if he tripped or stumbled, because he had a reputation for being clumsy. :rolleyes:

Love, Columbine
He was probably campaigning for the New Hampshire primary. I've never seen a President. The biggest muckity-mucks I've seen are the Supreme Court Justices in 1971. ( My grandmother and I were seated behind Coretta Scott King in the Supreme Court.)

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Well, I didn' exactly a "president", but I saw our late Belgian King, King Bauduin. Does this count too???

elizabethann
03-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Well being from NH I've seen a lot of them and I've met practically every Presidential candidate out there. They appear much shorter in person.

I work for a news organization here in NH and when the presidents/vice presidents come to our station we have to be screened by the Secret Service. It's kind of exciting. They bring their bomb sniffing dogs around. You just want to go up and pet them but you know you can't. They're there to do their job and that's it.

I've never met the curent President though and I find that to be a blessing. :D

Twisterdog
03-17-2008, 12:21 AM
I saw Ronald Reagan when I was in college. He came to Purdue University to give a speech. Can't remember the topic now ... LOL.

Catty1
03-17-2008, 12:37 AM
Shook the hand of a former Prime Minister, Joe Clark and Maureen McTeer, his wife...I wish I had met or seen Trudeau. Darn!

Zygo
03-17-2008, 04:10 PM
Now that would have made my day!! I saw him on the stage once, in The King and I - still think he was one of the sexiest men around.
I saw him in that, too!
Also Davy Jones as the Artful Dodger in Oliver, before the Monkees.