PDA

View Full Version : What's safe to use on my saddle?

JuniorxMyxLove
03-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Okay so I just realized that I have not cleaned my saddle since it got here :] I'm not gonna be able to go to a saddlery to get saddle cleaning stuff (hahah) for a while though, since I can never get anyone to drive me there and I have no money to spend.

On top of that, my mom keeps shoving things in my face and telling me to clean my saddle with it. So I was wondering if I can use other leathercleaners to use on my saddle? (like not saddle stuff, but just general leather)

Here's what my mom has given me:
-Kiwi brand Mink Oil "With Silicone"
-Cadillac brand Boot & Shoe Care
-Tannery Home & Sport "Richer Formula" Leather and Vinyl Care

Sorry for the rambling names, I just typed out everything it said on the front of the container :]

I'm not real worried about darkening the leather, seeing as it doesn't have anything to match and I'm not real picky or anything. As long as it doesn't turn black XD

So out of that list, what is and isn't safe for my saddle? If it's safe, how do I use it and how much do I put on?

Oh, and are there any other 'household items' that I can use to clean my saddle?

Thanks soo much!

Suki Wingy
03-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Those should work. I've cleaned my tall boots with the kiwi stuff and they were fine. Thanks for reminding me, by the way, I should clean my own tack!

JuniorxMyxLove
03-21-2008, 02:28 PM
haha you're welcome :]

some horsey people are telling me to absolutely not touch any of those, and some are saying that they're fine. I'm confused hahaha. but on one of the things it said on the label to use on saddles and other tack, so i think i'll try that. if it kills the saddle, i'm only out $50 ha.