PDA

View Full Version : New Chihuahua

doxielover959
03-13-2008, 10:44 AM
I am thinking about buying a Chihuahua puppy. Can anyone tell me how they behave, their health, and their lifespan, to all those who have owned one? Thank you so much!

Pam
03-13-2008, 10:50 AM
I hope that Daisy and Delilah's Mom, WELOVESPUPPIES and Mister's human will all check in. They are a few of the people who quickly come to mind here. I can tell you that I have totally fallen in love with chihuahuas after viewing their posts. Here is a good site for checking out the breed. It may answer some of your questions. Of course, should you get a chihuahua, pictures will be demanded. :p
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/chihuahua.htm

doxielover959
03-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Thank you Pam!

kt_luvs_kitties
03-13-2008, 07:30 PM
I have a Chi named Joey. He is still a puppy (born Dec 20 2007). I have fostered plenty of dogs, mainly pit bulls, St. Bernards and such.

BUT I have to say, Joey is one of the funniest, comical, sweet dogs I have ever met. I love him to pieces, and he is a really great puppy. One thing I have to say, they get very attached to their humans. Joey is having to work on seperation anxiety right now.

They are easy in the grooming department. Lifespan is such with any tiny dog. Health depends on their owners, and their breeders.

But do I think you should get one... ABSOLUTELY! If you have the time, money and energy, go for it! Joey is the best dog I have ever had/met. I love him, and he is SO cute to watch! :D ;)

Daisy and Delilah
03-13-2008, 08:21 PM
I could personally own a houseful of Chihuahuas. They are the sweetest little dogs on the planet. They are a bit yippy sometimes and kinda hard to housebreak(not impossible). They're really smart, loving, clingy, they love they're humans, they burrow under the covers at night and like to sleep with you. They'll keep you laughing because they are always doing something funny. They think they're big dogs.

I don't have any scientific knowledge but I know I love them and they are great little pets and companions. I think they have a pretty long life span. They can be little nippers(so I've heard)but I will almost always attribute that to poor training/breeding or illness(neither of mine are biters at all and I can't see them hurting a flea). Mine have annual trips to the vet, both are spayed, and in great health.

I think it all boils down to diligent care/training and a love of small breeds. Be prepared to have them want to be picked up and held alot because their most prominent trait is the need for human contact.

Best of luck and I can't wait to hear what you've decided. :)

emc
03-13-2008, 08:43 PM
I've had chihuahuas for years, they are just like any other dog except you have to watch where you're going because they're easy to step on, lol. Housebreaking depends on the individual dog, just like in other breeds, some will be easy to housebreak and others more difficult. The chihuahua I have now was very easy to potty train as was my first, my second chihuahua was more difficult to housebreak.

One thing that I would like to say is that chihuahuas have a reputation for being yappy and snappy with strangers so be very careful when picking out a puppy. Take your time, observe how the momma behaves and how the puppies interact with one another as well as to people. Choosing a puppy that isn't shy or timid, that appears curious and playful but not pushy with the other pups will lessen your chance of having a dog with behaviour problems later on.

Paws In Art (http://www.styleartc.com/portraits/cat-portrait.html)

Elf Shadow
03-14-2008, 12:43 AM
chihuahuas are terrific dogs.our chi,Lil is middle-aged,she will be ten years next september.couldnt ask for a better dog.everyone she meets loves her,good watchdog too,she lets us know whenever people come to our house.she is a true lapdog,likes to be near people,but,apart from always wanting to sit on you,is not demanding.chihuahuas live for about 15 years,so i've heard.about the same as other toy breeds.

Freedom
03-15-2008, 08:10 AM
I am thinking about buying a Chihuahua puppy.

PLEASE do not go to a pet store. Do some research, lots of help available to you on this board. Find a responsible breeder, or check out a breed rescue!

Best wishes!

doxielover959
03-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Thanks to everyone for the great advice! :) :) :)