PDA

View Full Version : Ok, you can bark at that....

Glacier
03-13-2008, 09:57 AM
4:30 this morning, Deuce looses his mind, starts barking his fool head off. Deuce has a wide range of barks. He has some GSD in him so he can really woof and enough husky that he can WOOOOOO too! He's also my wild child and absolutely refuses to come anywhere near a building. He's never getting trapped inside again. This was not his "Oh, I'm so bored bark" or his "oh, look at the aurora" woo, not a "I hate you Antare" bark. This was his "get outta my territory, I'll kill ya" bark. His barking was quickly joined by a few other dogs who had decided that -2C was way too warm to come in the house! Heyoka was so excited he didn't know what to do with himself! He's hilarous when he gets worked up.

This sounds stupid, but yelling at Deuce to shut up is useless. He won't come inside so I can't bring him in to shush him up. Usually, if I go outside, get him to come to me and tell him he's a good boy, thanks for warning me, you can go back to sleep now, I've got it covered....that calms him down. Like he's done his job and since I know what's going on, he can shut up. I rarely even figure out what he's barking at, but whatever makes him be quiet!

This morning, he won't even come away from the fence at the far end of his pen. So I go get my spotlight flashlight, walk down to that end...in my housecoat and Sorrels! And come face to face with a massive bull moose! Ok, Deuce, you can bark at that! He was maybe five feet from the fence, just eating willows, driving Deuce insane! He's obviously been here before cuz he knew Deuce couldn't get to him. The light didn't really phase him even, but he did move back down into the forested area behind the house. He was gorgeous. Amazing how quietly an animal that big can move! He hardly made a sound. I'd have never known he was here if Deuce hadn't spotted him.

gemini9961
03-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Yikes!! Good boy Deuce but I don't think the moose was too concerned. :)

cyber-sibes
03-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Hey Deuce - check it out- maybe THIS (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=1987033#post1987033) is why the moose came to visit?

RobiLee
03-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Yep, I would say its ok to go ahead and bark at that, Deuce!

cassiesmom
03-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Go, Deuce and family! "Mom, mom, mom! Come here quick and check this out!" You knew to call your mom so she could share this story with all of us! Great job! But it doesn't sound like the moose was too concerned with you all barking - is that typical for a moose? We have some white tailed deer who find their way to the edge of the forest preserve because there has been so much construction, (or even people's yards!) and they are quick to run away at the slightest sound. It's probably just as well so a car wouldn't hit them.

Ginger's Mom
03-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Wow, that very brave of you to take on a big old bull moose, Deuce. But I think next time you may want to leave the guy eat in peace until a more respectable hour. ;)

Glacier
03-13-2008, 12:23 PM
But it doesn't sound like the moose was too concerned with you all barking - is that typical for a moose?

Moose are, in general, not afraid of dogs. The main threat to moose around here are wolves. A moose that runs from a wolf pack will be killed. A moose who stands his ground has a pretty good chance of not becoming dinner. They look like docile, slow moving creatures, but they are actually suprisingly agile and nasty. They treat dogs like wolves. They'll stand their ground and start kicking. This guy obviously knew that Deuce couldn't get out of the fence. He was completely unconcerned by the woofing.

Cinder & Smoke
03-13-2008, 01:27 PM
4:30 this morning ...
Deuce looses his mind, starts barking his fool head off.

So I go get my spotlight flashlight, walk down to that end ...
in my housecoat and Sorrels!

And come face to face with a massive bull moose! :eek:
Ok, Deuce, you can bark at that!

He was gorgeous. Amazing how quietly an animal that big can move!
He hardly made a sound.
I'd have never known he was here if Deuce hadn't spotted him.

:cool:
You and the FurKids do the STRANGEST things at Oh:dark:Thirty in the morning!

MOOSE Watchin at 04:30 am in a HouseCoat?? :confused:

Wonder what the neighbors would think?

:rolleyes:
:D

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Oh gosh.... :eek: :eek: :eek: ; The only time I saw a moose, was in Yellowstone National Park! A moose is HUGE !!! Werent you scared :confused:

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-13-2008, 01:44 PM
Oh gosh.... :eek: :eek: :eek: ; The only time I saw a moose, was in Yellowstone National Park! A moose is HUGE !!! Weren't you scared :confused:

jenluckenbach
03-13-2008, 03:45 PM
I go get my spotlight flashlight, walk down to that end...in my housecoat and Sorrels!
In -2C weather?!?!?! :eek:

DJFyrewolf36
03-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Good boy Deuce! You can bark at that for sure! I've only been near a moose once near Yellowstone and it was a Bull...and I don't think he was afraid of ANYTHING! Cars were going in and out of the parking lot of the scenic view area and he just stood there lazily eating his lunch lol. I wanted to smack some tourists though, because they thought it was a good idea to try and "feed" the moose :rolleyes:

A moose has no real reason to fear one dog and running from a pack as you said is pretty useless. Next time Deuce shouts off a warning you should bring your camera...never know what might be wandering your fence!

Seravieve
03-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Thats amazing! Moose are so cool... There were a couple 100 feet or so off the road in Rocky Mountain National Park a few years back. We all stopped and got awesome pictures and just stood in awe. One was in a little pond, cooling off I guess. And two more were off a way from him munching on some grass..

Thats amazing that he was by your house. And you've definitely got a GREAT burglar alarm. Way to go Duece! :D

Glacier
03-14-2008, 11:58 AM
In -2C weather?!?!?! :eek:

Sure, that's balmy around here for this time of year. At least I put on boots and not the crocs I keep by the door for emergency dashes outside!

I was talking to a friend who lives in my area yesterday. Told her about the moose and her response was "oh, that's Elliot!" She has 12 dogs and four horses. He hangs out at her place quite often and eats the hay she puts out for her horses. I had a good giggle--if you knew this lady, you not be at all suprised that she has named a wild animal!

finn's mom
03-14-2008, 12:02 PM
I wanna stay at your house, hahaha. ;) Sounds like Elliott knows where the action is!