PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas?

slleipnir
03-12-2008, 06:50 PM
I was talking to someone at work tonight about his dog. He has a 4 year old dog (small breed I believe)

The man has started a different job about 5 months ago and since then the dog gets very stressed when he goes leaves for work, and is stressed till he gets home. The dog gets 2 walks a day (the man tries to come home in the middle of his shift to take the dog out) He's not sure what else to do. He feels guilty leaving. The vet told him to see a dog behaviorist but he said he can't afford $100 an hour, at least not when he'd have to go back more then once.

I suggested a companion for the dog, but he's worried it won't help or the new dog will be the same. I said maybe if he got an older dog for the humane society who is used to spending time alone would be best. I also suggested filling a kong with something the dog can spend hours licking to keep his mind off things.....

I'm curious what you all think would be best to do? The dog hasn't always been like this.

Giselle
03-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Sounds like classic separation anxiety to me. Would suggest alone training and any other supplement he feels necessary (i.e. Rescue Remedy, DAP, etc.). The supplements are a hit or miss depending on the individual dog. The most important part, though, is the alone training itself.

kuhio98
03-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Any Doggie Daycare (http://dogs.about.com/cs/generalcare/a/dog_daycare.htm) in your area?

Freedom
03-12-2008, 07:59 PM
I agree, sounds like separation anxiety. So he should proceed to address that as it tends to escalate if left. :rolleyes: Poor doggie! Doesn't understand about the new job for all his bones, treats, food and so forth!

slleipnir
03-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Sounds like classic separation anxiety to me. Would suggest alone training and any other supplement he feels necessary (i.e. Rescue Remedy, DAP, etc.). The supplements are a hit or miss depending on the individual dog. The most important part, though, is the alone training itself.

Can you explain more about this??

Any Doggie Daycare in your area?
He can't afford it I don't think

Giselle
03-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Basically, he needs to train the dog to enjoy being by himself. This does not only apply to when he actually leaves the house but also when he's in the house. A lot of SA dogs are very velcro-y, and I wouldn't be surprised if his dog starts to follow him around in the house and even into the bathroom.

When he has to leave, he should:
- close the window blinds as outside distractions can stress the dog
- restrict the dog's access (I personally leave the dogs in their own dog room, with the door closed. Others choose to crate their dogs.)
- turn on a TV or radio to mask outside noise
- provide dog with lots of safe, extremely high value treats like frozen stuffed Kongs or hidden pieces of biscuits around the room (I took that from the zoo's enrichment program LOL!)
- leave any supplements he wishes to use, like RR or DAP.

When he leaves:
- he should do so VERY calmly and matter-of-factly
- he should do short coming/goings several times every day. I know one trainer suggested that a person should do it every time the commercials come on :D
- he should return very matter-of-factly
- he should also play around with his routine. If the dog has associated the keys with his leaving, he should get up and pick up his keys every now and then, and then sit back down.

At first the increments should be in seconds, then in 5 minute intervals, then in 10 minute intervals, then half an hour, and so on.

slleipnir
03-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Thank you for explaining that! I'll let him know that. (though, what is DAP?)