PDA

View Full Version : Mom faces trial for leaving toddler in car

jackie
03-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Mom on trial. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23594474/?GT1=43001)

CHICAGO -

Treffly Coyne was out of her car for just minutes and no more than 10 yards away.

But that was long and far enough to land her in court after a police officer spotted her sleeping 2-year-old daughter alone in the vehicle; Coyne had taken her two older daughters to pour $8.29 in coins into a Salvation Army kettle.

Minutes later, she was under arrest — the focus of both a police investigation and a probe by the state’s child welfare agency. Now the case that has become an Internet flash point for people who either blast police for overstepping their authority or Coyne for putting a child in danger.

The 36-year-old suburban mother is preparing to go on trial Thursday on misdemeanor charges of child endangerment and obstructing a peace officer. If convicted, she could be sentenced to a year in jail and fined $2,500, even though child welfare workers found no credible evidence of abuse or neglect.

On Dec. 8 Coyne decided to drive to Wal-Mart in the Chicago suburb of Crestwood so her children and a young friend could donate the coins they’d collected at her husband’s office.

Even as she buckled 2-year-old Phoebe into the car, the girl was asleep. When Coyne arrived at the store, she found a spot to park in a loading zone, right behind someone tying a Christmas tree onto a car.

“It’s sleeting out, it’s not pleasant, I don’t want to disturb her, wake her up,” Coyne said this week. “It was safer to leave her in the safety and warmth of an alarmed car than take her.”

So Coyne switched on the emergency flashers, locked the car, activated the alarm and walked the other children to the bell ringer.

She snapped a few pictures of the girls donating money and headed back to the car. But a community service officer blocked her way.

“She was on a tirade, she was yelling at me,” Coyne said. The officer, Coyne said, didn’t want to hear about how close Coyne was, how she never set foot inside the store and was just there to let the kids donate money, or how she could always see her car.

Coyne telephoned her husband, Tim Janecyk, who advised her not to say anything else to police until he arrived. So Coyne declined to talk further, refusing even to tell police her child’s name.

When Janecyk pulled up, his wife already was handcuffed, sitting in a patrol car.

Crestwood Police Chief Timothy Sulikowski declined to comment about the case. But he did not dispute the contention that Coyne parked nearby or was away from her car for just a few minutes.

He did, however, suggest Coyne put her child at risk.

“A minute or two, that’s when things can happen,” he said.

Online debate
Talk about the case has intensified, particularly online, where bloggers are weighing in on various message boards.

Many have harsh words for the police department, calling the arrest of a mother who left her child in a locked car for a few minutes an abuse of authority.

Yet statistics show thousands of children are injured and dozens die every year after being left unattended near or inside vehicles.

“I am talking tens of thousands of people who leave their kids in the car for any period of time all around America,” said Janette Fennell, founder and president of Kansas-based Kids and Cars. “People don’t appreciate the dangers of leaving a child alone in the car.”

Coyne’s attorney, Michelle Forbes, argued that Coyne did not break the law any more than a mother who parks in front of a school in a rainstorm and leaves an infant in the car as she runs a few feet to pick up another child.

“As long as the car is not out of her sight, then the child is not unattended,” she said.

Coyne and her husband believe she is unfairly being lumped in with parents who put their children’s lives at risk.

“If I were going on a shopping spree then, yes, I would deserve arrest,” Coyne said. “I was standing right there. I never went into the store.

“I’m a great parent.”

Opinions?

Catty1
03-12-2008, 04:16 PM
There was a case in Calgary last year when the mom stopped in somewhere for literally a minute....her sleeping daughter got unbuckled from her car seat by slightly older brother, and started playing with power windows.

Her head got stuck in the window. She was calling for her mom was helped by a passersby who told someone else to look after her while he ran to get help.

Meanwhile the mom came back, thought her daughter was asleep, buckled her back in the car seat and drove home. Then she made the discovery.

If that mom gets away with a court appearance and fine, she should count her blessings. It can and does happen in a split second, as you said, Jackie.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070223/window_death_070223/20070223?hub=TopStories

jennielynn1970
03-12-2008, 06:40 PM
I know things can happen in mere seconds, and there are tons of stories about horrible things happening like that, but I still think this one went beyond what the police had to do. She was feet away from the vehicle, with it locked, alarmed and all that, and had full view of it (she said). She wasn't going shopping, just dropping off coins to the Salvation Army.

Had she left the child for a long time; had she been in a bar drinking; had she left the child in the car and gone to work because she had no baby sitter... those types of things I could understand them prosecuting her for. For walking 10 feet away, with the car in plain sight and locked and alarmed, I just think it's going overboard to say she could get a year in jail.

Making her aware that it is wrong to leave a child of that age alone for any length of time is a good thing, but jailing her for it, that would be ridiculous. A fine, and some community service, and classes on childcare safety and first aid?? I dunno. She doesn't look like some crack junkie who would just leave her kids alone, but then again, just because she looks affluent doesn't mean she should get off easier.

IRescue452
03-13-2008, 10:05 AM
I was left in the car all the time, usually by my choice, when my mom ran into the store. And it wasn't locked, and usually was left on so we had radio. I think a lot of us who weren't born yesterday were left in the car at some point. I bet even those cops had been left in the car for a few minutes when they were kids.
I think this particular case is less than neglectful. Another waste of resources.

Catty1
03-13-2008, 11:04 AM
I wasn't born yesterday, and I am sure I was left in the car too.

But the case I mentioned above - there are now more little buttons to push and play with, and even with the car locked and alarmed, it wouldn't have prevented the accident from happening.

I don't think she should do jail time - but in light of the tragedy in Calgary, I am glad she was called on it.

JMO

smokey the elder
03-13-2008, 11:36 AM
So where was CPS when Nixmarie Brown was getting beaten and tortured?? :mad:

Lady's Human
03-13-2008, 12:03 PM
I can think of any number of "What ifs" covering almost every single activity people do every day. For instance, I fall asleep while watching my 3 y/o. Should I have to answer to CPS? After all, there are any number of evils which could befall him while I nod off for 30 seconds.

The Nanny state needs to go away. The police involved in this would be far more gainfully employed catching actual criminals and guarding against criminal activity instead of creating criminals by going after petty garbage like this.

Cataholic
03-13-2008, 12:17 PM
I can think of any number of "What ifs" covering almost every single activity people do every day. For instance, I fall asleep while watching my 3 y/o. Should I have to answer to CPS? After all, there are any number of evils which could befall him while I nod off for 30 seconds.

I was thinking the exact same thing. My son can get out of his carseat, and could operate little buttons, climb into the front seat, out the window, etc. All while I am physically in the car with him. Should I be jailed because of this?

We are out walking in the 'hood, and Jonah darts out into the street. I am right there with him. Should I be jailed because of this?

Jonah goes into the bathroom for his 'needs'. He gets his hand pinched in the door. Should I be jailed because of this? After all, he was not in my sight!

Of course not. There are elements of the crime of child endangering. They require the act of a prudent person, and include words like reasonable, and likely.

Everything happens in a matter of seconds- accidents, intentional acts, good things, and bad. Life is risky. Hell, she could have been attacked, as she approached the kettle, by a mugger with a sleeping child in her arms, knocked to the ground, on top of the child, suffering a skull fracture. Or, with the child in her arms, she could have slipped on ice, or, the other kids could have been hit by a car, kidnapped....and on and on and on.

lizbud
03-13-2008, 12:18 PM
I don't think the woman deserves harsh punishment for doing this but
I do think it was bad judgement on her part to be off taking pictures of
the other kids & leaving the baby alone in the car.

What if the car was hit be a passing car, what if it was carjacked?
Things can change in a minute & it's never good to leave an infant
alone like that ever. IMO

momoffuzzyfaces
03-13-2008, 12:57 PM
I don't know the answer to this one. Kids can disappear from their own yards or even beds in a matter of seconds, never mind a car even if they are being watched.

Even having them under 24 hour surveillance wouldn't keep them all safe. :(

lizbud
03-14-2008, 12:59 PM
They dropped charges against the woman.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-treffly-free-webmar14,0,4588939.story

sparks19
03-14-2008, 01:29 PM
I am glad they dropped the charges. I think perhaps they realized they didn't have a snowballs chance at winning this.

I couldn't agree with ladyshuman and cataholic MORE. I think a simple warning from the officer would have sufficed rather than cuffing the woman right in front of her children (was her sleeping child left in the car while this woman was handcuffed and put in the back of the police cruiser?)

Last I checked power windows didn't work without the car being on and since she locked the doors and alarmed the car I think it is safe to assume the car was not running (we can't get out of our car and lock the doors if the key is in the ignition)

There are so many "what if's" and if everyone lived life by a bunch of what if's we'd all be shut in's wrapped in padding in a padded room so that nothing could EVER happen.

Perhaps this woman didn't use her best judgement but come ON taking her to court and threatening a year in prison? YA that will help her children :rolleyes:

CPS is such a mess anymore. While they were preoccupied conducting a full abuse and neglect investigation on a woman who left her kid in the car in plain sight what horrible cases of abuse were they ignoring?

momoffuzzyfaces
03-14-2008, 01:56 PM
Last I checked power windows didn't work without the car being on and since she locked the doors and alarmed the car I think it is safe to assume the car was not running (we can't get out of our car and lock the doors if the key is in the ignition)
Actually, you can lock the doors and leave the car running on some cars. I've done it before. :o :D

I'm glad the charges were dropped too.

sparks19
03-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Actually, you can lock the doors and leave the car running on some cars. I've done it before. :o :D

I'm glad the charges were dropped too.

That's true... ours is the idiot proof model lol no locking the keys in the car :)

But can you set the alarm on a car that is running? and don't you have to set it with the keypad thingy on the keyring?

Can you tell I don't drive lol. I know nothing about cars haha

lizbud
03-14-2008, 04:26 PM
When I read this statement in the article, I thought it showed just why
they pushed to charge the woman.

"Coyne said an angry officer was waiting for her when she returned to the car. The chief acknowledged that a police sergeant who responded to the scene was dating the community service officer who confronted Coyne, but said that had no bearing on the arrest. "What's the relevance," he said."

I think it was very relevant & telling that the two officers were dating at
the time. Of course one would back up the other's claims. I'm glad this
is over for this lady. I do think the law is needed, but the officers should
use more good sense in considering whether charges should ever be brought.

Catty1
03-14-2008, 05:13 PM
I think the mom could have avoided at least some of the brou-ha-ha if she had cooperated with the police and given her side of it. It is mentioned twice in that article that she did not cooperate with the police officer.

Even if you are innocent, that's not an action that will help your case.

momoffuzzyfaces
03-14-2008, 06:32 PM
That's true... ours is the idiot proof model lol no locking the keys in the car :)

But can you set the alarm on a car that is running? and don't you have to set it with the keypad thingy on the keyring?

Can you tell I don't drive lol. I know nothing about cars haha
But not all cars have alarm systems, especially older ones. ;)

sparks19
03-14-2008, 06:56 PM
But not all cars have alarm systems, especially older ones. ;)

No but she said her car did have an alarm :)