PDA

View Full Version : Grapefruit is vile!

Medusa
03-11-2008, 07:02 AM
Grapefruit was on sale this week and I thought "why not try it again?" I eat a lot of fruit daily but it's usually berries and bananas so it's been a while since I've had grapefruit. Now I remember why. It tastes like the stuff that comes up in the back of my throat after I hurl. Sorry, but grapefruit is one nasty fruit. Now what am I gonna do w/these mutant lemons?

catnapper
03-11-2008, 07:35 AM
Grapefruit is AWESOME! I eat one a night as I sit in bed and wind down. Do you know all the things grapefruit does for you? It lowers cholesterol. Fights colds and flu. Lowers insulin levels. Its cancer fighting. It helps lose weight because it does something to keep fat cells from binding. Its a miracle fruit!

Medusa
03-11-2008, 08:11 AM
Its a miracle fruit!
Yeah, it's a miracle that anyone can gag it down. I know it has a lot of intrinsically good nutritional value as does all food. But weight loss? Doubtful, except that perhaps it causes loss of appetite after one taste of it. LOL I've personally seen too many people eat it w/out success in losing weight. There are so many "miracle" foods for whatever ails ya; some of them work, some of them are bogus. Nothing really "makes" you lose weight except putting out more than you take in. Exercising more, eating less; basic math. Even if it did work, there's no way I could face eating it every day.

Rachel
03-11-2008, 08:31 AM
I love Grapefruit, but I can't have it because it interacts with the medication I take. And what I can't have, I crave.

emily_the_spoiled
03-11-2008, 08:38 AM
You can always cheat like I do ... yes grapefruit is a healthy food but it is not so healthy when you put on real sugar :D

Freedom
03-11-2008, 08:38 AM
I love Grapefruit, but I can't have it because it interacts with the medication I take. And what I can't have, I crave.

He hee, oh yes!

Cut grapefruit in half, using a knife cut around each piece, place in bowl, sprinkle on sugar, and MMMMMMmmmmm!

They have to REALLY sweet ones to just peel and eat; I've had a few that way too.

I haven't had one in several years for the reason above. :(

pitc9
03-11-2008, 08:52 AM
I have to say that I've never even tried one!

You're only about 1 1/2 hours from me.... pass them on!
I'll try them! ;)

kuhio98
03-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Yeah, it's a miracle that anyone can gag it down.
:D Totally -- 100% agree! :D

shais_mom
03-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Yeah, it's a miracle that anyone can gag it down.
I totally agree!
I can't stand it either!
and Kim I can't believe you can eat it before bed - that would be surefire heartburn for me - eating something so acidic and then laying down..
my grandma used to cut it up and put sugar on it the night before and let it sit overnite.
I still didn't like it!

:eek:
I had to add this
@ 1am 3-17-08!

ok I can't believe I (me of all people) am going to say this.
But I bought a grapefruit on Sat. I *think* it was just a plain ol' grapefruit :eek:not Ruby Red or anything - the insides weren't real pink/red.
I cut it in half and doused both halves with lots of sugar and let it set for awhile - sectioned it and took a tentative bite. And I liked it so much I ate BOTH halves!!!
I was eating it thinking - I can't believe I am doing this. I have had a hate/hate relationship with grapefruit all my life!
:eek: :eek:

moosmom
03-11-2008, 10:13 AM
I LOVE grapefruit!! I love to peel it like an orange and eat the slices. It's an aquired taste, I guess.

Jods
03-11-2008, 10:24 AM
I LOVE pink and red grapefruit.

what color did you have? I have never tried white

lizbud
03-11-2008, 11:17 AM
I've never heard of eating it without sugar on top. Way to sour without
the sugar. I don't eat it that often. I like oranges better. :)

Edwina's Secretary
03-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Put me in the "I hate Grapefruit" camp. Taste lilke penicillin to me....bleech!

jackie
03-11-2008, 11:53 AM
I love grapefruit!!!

If you really dislike it, juice it together with oranges.

I would say three oranges to one grapefruit, so you can't really taste it as much!

Kfamr
03-11-2008, 01:33 PM
As a Floridian I've eaten many grapefruits (we used to have a grapefruit tree in our backyard along with oranges - now we only have a lemon tree.) YUMMY with sugar on them! :)

Karen
03-11-2008, 01:38 PM
I miss having grapefruit. Sliced in half with a little sugar sprinkled on it - yummy! Of course, now I am allergic to grapefruit, so that's no longer possible. But I do gaze longingly at them as I walk by them in the supermarket!

Medusa, maybe you got a bad one, and others might be better?

critter crazy
03-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Ooooo.....I love Grapefruit!!! I enjoy eating it like an orange, slice by slice, with a dab of sugar added. I especially like it when my In-Laws get back from Florida, as tehy always bring me fresh Grapeffruit! Yummm....:D

Cinder & Smoke
03-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Grapefruit - Breakfast of Grandparents!
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif

Grammy bought Grapefruits by the bushel basket - or so it seemed.

By age 5 - I could dig into an un-sectioned 1/2 Grapefruit without assistance -
and usually without dumping the darn thing in my lap.

There was not such thing as Breakfast at Grammy & Boppa's without the manditory
1/2 Grapefruit in a Bowl as the first course.

If Boppa *made faces* after digging out his first section, it was OK to ask for sugar on top -
BUT, if HE liked it *plain* - that's the way everyone was supposed to eat it!
He never bought the idea some of us had a "tart one". "They all came off the same tree!"

You KNEW what was being served for breakfast IF the distinctive
Grapefruit Spoon >>>

http://www.pointshop.com/id-587//ImgUpload/P_813669_1582112.JPG

Was on the dining room table!

And Grammy had the Grapefruit KNIFE, too - to help the less-skilled in loosening the
fruit section from the grip of the rind and membrane. >>>

http://www.fantes.com/images/6626-1grapefruit.jpg

This almost (ALMOST) makes me wanna dash out and buy a Grapefruit.

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

catnapper
03-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Oh my goodness, I never knew so many people who hate it. I can't imagine ruining it by sprinkling sugar on it. I'm like Donna and peel it like an orange. Actually, there is something in grapefruit that neutralizes the acid (I read it somewhere, I swear!) and honestly, since eating grapefruit at night my heartburn problem has disappeared!

Last night I had to constantly slap hubby's hand away from my pile of grapefruit slices. I peel the grapefruit and put it on a napkin then eat it once every piece has been peeled. He likes to wait for me to peel a piece then steal it. :rolleyes:

I feel like I'm missing something if I don't get my nightly does of grapefruit. I don't credit the grapefruit with my weight loss, but I'm nearly 35 pounds lighter now :) Even if grapefruit didn't do everything I do think it helped because I crave that at night now instead of candy, ice cream, or some other less-than-healthy sweet treat.

Cookiebaker
03-11-2008, 02:45 PM
I love love love grapefruits, and especially the pink/red ones. I think they are less tart than the white or yellow ones. Its been a couple years since I had one though. :)

RICHARD
03-11-2008, 03:07 PM
It tastes like the stuff that comes up in the back of my throat after I hurl.

Sorry but that sentence reminds me of the saying, "I think I just threw up in my mouth!"

---------------

There are the Juicy Red (I think they are called Ruby GFs) that really rock.
They are so sweet you don't need any sugar on them.

Bananas? There is a funny story about the Blue Angels/Thunderbirds and bananas.

The BAs or the Tbirds always take a local reporter for a flight in their jets as part of the public relations for the airshow and the armed forces.

The reporter was taking the safety course and getting the exam before his flight. They teach you how to breath so you don't pass out and tell you what to do in case you want to puke. He asked the pilot it there was anything he should eat for breakfast beforehand-in case he got sick.

"Bananas", was the answer.

"Bananas?" the reporter said, "Is it for the potassium or vitamins in them?"

"Nope" replied the pilot, "They taste the same way coming out as they do going in."

k9krazee
03-11-2008, 04:06 PM
MMmm...I love grapefruit!! :D

bckrazy
03-12-2008, 07:36 AM
I love Grapefruits... with sugar, of course! : ) But I would eat them without sugar, too.

Coincidentally, Squirt is also the most delicious soda ever.

phesina
03-12-2008, 07:05 PM
I really love grapefruit!.. don't even need sugar with it!

CountryWolf07
03-12-2008, 07:32 PM
I definitely don't like grapefruit.

Moesha
03-12-2008, 08:12 PM
I'm not a big fan of grapefruit. But oddly, I'm having a craving for it now.

slick
03-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Yes, ruby red grapefruit is awesome and I love them but sadly can't eat them as they interfere with the BP meds I'm taking.

For breakfast years ago I used to eat a bowl full of orange and grapefruit segments mixed.....no sugar added. Yummy!!!!

critter crazy
03-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Last night I had to constantly slap hubby's hand away from my pile of grapefruit slices. I peel the grapefruit and put it on a napkin then eat it once every piece has been peeled. He likes to wait for me to peel a piece then steal it.:rolleyes:

He he he he!! My hubby is the same way!!! I love eating grapefruit by the slice!! Best way to do it, as long as hubby isnt around!:D

K9karen
03-12-2008, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the memories, Phred..I almost forgot about the grapefruit sectioner and spoon!

My mom bought the Ruby reds. As kids we used sugar but acquired a taste to eat them peeled and sectioned like an orange.

I have to be in the mood. They are not my favorite fruit. my mom and I used to do the egg and grapefruit diet so I've had my fill. She developed terrible teeny bumps one day..too much acid. Sometimes they're mushy inside but look great outside. That's when they make me gag and I wind up tossing them.

Felicia's Mom
03-12-2008, 09:02 PM
I prefer my grapefruit without sugar.

Alysser
03-12-2008, 09:19 PM
I tried it over Christmas on the cruise I went on. There was a 24 hr buffet so me and my parents went while my sister was sleeping because she was seasick or something, and my mom told me I wouldn't like and don't try it. My dad said I would like it probably. I tried it and I nearly HURLED :eek: OMG I don't even want to REMEMBER the taste!! Just reading this makes me want to..ICK! It might be a 'miracle' fruit but I don't think the miracle is in the taste. :rolleyes: Maybe I should listen to my mom more often. ;)

Medusa
03-13-2008, 06:45 AM
I tried the ruby red, thinking it would be sweeter. Uh huh. Sweeter than battery acid maybe.

Jods
03-13-2008, 07:06 AM
I didn't know they had grapefruit SPOONS! :eek: COOL!

and guess what I have in my fridge right now a big jug of grapefruit juice! :p :)

I've even got my 2 yr old eating them without sugar MUHAHAHAHA

Medusa
03-13-2008, 07:08 AM
I've even got my 2 yr old eating them without sugar MUHAHAHAHA
That's child abuse. (Kidding!) :)

kittycats_delight
03-13-2008, 07:16 AM
That's child abuse. (Kidding!) :)

My mother would tend to agree with that. LOL Several times growing up my grandmother would get me to taste them. Always with the same reaction. The sour lemon face and that's icky from me. Ironically when I hit about 16 I decided to give them a try again and loved them sugarless. I can eat grapefruit until they come out of my ears. One of my favorite juices in grapefruit juice sugarfree.

I remember the first time I came to Italy. My mother, my now BIL, hubby and I went to Monte Berico. It was a super hot day and we stopped at the (bar) cafe to get something to drink. I wanted grapefruit juice and didn't know what it was called in Italian and hubby didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I looked in the display and figured it out from the bottle. Hubby still didn't know the fruit and wanted to try it. He smelled it first and said 'It doesn't smell bad.' My mom was snickering behind him and I was encouraging him telling him it was amazing. Didn't bother to tell him it was bitter. He takes a huge mouthful and nearly passes out. His eyes about popped out of his head and he got that sour lemon face. It was too funny for all of us except hubby who was cranky for about an hour after. He decided tiramisu gelato was much more to his liking. LOL

Pam
03-13-2008, 07:31 AM
Count me in as one who likes grapefruit. :) I don't buy it much because it is a lot of work to section it out. I guess I am just lazy. :) The last time I had some in the house hubby said "are YOU planning to cut some grapefruit tonight?" Of course he loves it but doesn't want to go to the trouble. :p My kids were served it early in life and never batted an eye about the tartness. I used to actually make my own grapefruit juice popsicles (using those little plastic popsicle maker thingies). My son would take his outside and eat it right along with the other kids who were eating store bought popsicles and didn't bat an eye. He loved them. In fact he told me just a few nights ago he wished he had a popsicle maker so he could make his own again. ;)

Barbara
03-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Put sugar on them and put it under the grill until the sugar melts- delicious ;) !

Medusa
03-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Put sugar on them and put it under the grill until the sugar melts- delicious ;) !
Someone said to do that w/brown sugar. I can't even imagine.....

JuniorxMyxLove
03-13-2008, 05:12 PM
hahaha I'm eating a grapefruit right now :]

The only way to eat them is with about 4 lbs of sugar :] more like 5-6 spoonfuls HAHAHA. it makes them YUMMY though!

lbaker
03-13-2008, 06:16 PM
In Jr High School we had "Home Ec" (home economics) that gurls had to take (boys had "shop", I was jealous) but one of the first things tried was 1/2 grapefruit with brown sugar on top briefly broiled.. I LOVED IT!! But of course I had eaten grapefruit all my life and I'm in the I LOVE IT bandwagon... :D

gini
03-13-2008, 11:53 PM
In Jr High School we had "Home Ec" (home economics) that gurls had to take (boys had "shop", I was jealous) but one of the first things tried was 1/2 grapefruit with brown sugar on top briefly broiled.. I LOVED IT!! But of course I had eaten grapefruit all my life and I'm in the I LOVE IT bandwagon... :D

OMG, Laurie, were we in the same class? Could be - I had Home Ec and the boys had shop. Years after we moved to Calif. some people came to visit us from Ohio. I about fainted - it was the "shop" teacher from my high school.

Grapefruit - gotta tell you - I have always loved it. It is great with some avocado and thousand island dressing............very pretty too.

Killearn Kitties
03-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Grapefruit - gotta tell you - I have always loved it. It is great with some avocado and thousand island dressing............very pretty too.
Sounds lovely! It is also great mixed with crabmeat, and a slightly spicy dressing.

Nobody exploded a grapefruit yet? :p

buttercup132
03-14-2008, 10:36 AM
I love grapefruit too,I can never eat it though cause it's so hard to get out and just becomes a mess.

shais_mom
03-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Nobody exploded a grapefruit yet? :p
what a great idea! :D
TARGET PRACTICE!!! :p

AdoreMyDogs
03-14-2008, 11:09 AM
I haven't had a grapefruit since I was a kid (my mom LOVES them), but I don't really remember what they tasted like. I do, however, remember not liking them too much, but next time I go to the market I am going to find a ruby red and buy one and try it out again. This thread has perked my curiousity.

Cookiebaker
03-14-2008, 11:49 AM
hehe when I went shopping last night, I bought one just because of this thread. :D

Pam
03-14-2008, 11:52 AM
hehe when I went shopping last night, I bought one just because of this thread. :D

:D :D Isn't it funny how much of an effect this site has on all of us! LOL!

lbaker
03-14-2008, 12:03 PM
If you use a small serrated knife (like the one Phred showed) it's very easy to cut the sections out, use the spoon to squeeze out the juice after you eat the sections. mmmmmm

Medusa
03-14-2008, 04:52 PM
:D :D Isn't it funny how much of an effect this site has on all of us! LOL!
No kiddin'! I had no idea of what I was starting. :p

RICHARD
03-14-2008, 08:03 PM
You all were very close.....

The parts of the GF that are the bitterest are the rind and the skin on the sections.

If you have the desire peel it, then remove the skin.
Not as bitter maybe better?

Catty1
03-14-2008, 09:34 PM
ROOM TEMPERATURE - makes the grapefruit MUCH sweeter. The pink/ruby red I really love but will peel and eat all types. :)

hmmm....off to the grocery store tomorrow...I forgot to pick up, er, BLEACH, yeah that's right! :D

krazyaboutkatz
03-15-2008, 12:57 AM
I grew up eating grapefruit with sugar on top but now I prefer to eat it plain. I also like grapfruit juice too.:)

jennielynn1970
03-15-2008, 06:18 AM
I love grapefruit, grapefruit juice... anything tart. I eat lemons and limes like an orange, lol. :D

Barbara
03-15-2008, 10:45 AM
I had a pink grapefruit with grilled sugar on top today- after this thread I really had to get it. :D
We should get money from the grapefruit farmers.

Catty1
03-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Bought TWO grapefruit today - pink from Texas! (Come on, where are we gonna grow it in CANADA??? Best we do is apple orchards and grapes in BC and southern Ontario! :D )

Peeled and ate a whole one tonight! MMMMM!

wolf_Q
03-16-2008, 12:20 AM
I don't think I've ever tried actual grapefruit. I've had unsweetened grapefruit juice though and that was definitely vile!

Medusa
03-16-2008, 08:24 AM
Peeled and ate a whole one tonight! MMMMM!
What are you made of, brave one? :eek:

Catty1
03-16-2008, 11:05 AM
What are you made of, brave one?

Peel and rind! :D

Key is - the stuff has to be ROOM TEMP. Juice and the fruit is a lot sweeter. Yes, it's still tart - but I like that edge! :)

Medusa
03-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Ok, well, I have some grapefruit left so I'm going to brave up and try some at room temperature and also grilled w/brown sugar. After that, if I still don't like it, I'm done forever w/a clear conscience that I tried one of God's fruits and, as grateful as I am for variety, it's just one fruit that isn't for me. I'll let you know if I like or dislike it.

RICHARD
03-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Here's my biggest problem with GF....

It doesn't grow on a vine, doesn't look anything at all like grapes, doesn't taste like grapes....so, WTF? :confused:

Medusa
03-16-2008, 04:22 PM
for dinner. Still vile. I'm gonna go have an Oreo now. At least that's something I understand. :confused:

shais_mom
03-16-2008, 11:56 PM
ok I can't believe I (me of all people) am going to say this.
But I bought a grapefruit on Sat. I *think* it was just a plain ol' grapefruit not Ruby Red or anything - the insides weren't real pink/red.
I cut it in half and doused both halves with lots of sugar and let it set for awhile - sectioned it and took a tentative bite. And I liked it so much I ate BOTH halves!!!
I was eating it thinking - I can't believe I am doing this. I have had a hate/hate relationship with grapefruit all my life!

Twisterdog
03-17-2008, 12:00 AM
Grapefruit IS vile. Totally. That is one food I would only eat if I were starving to death ... maybe.

Grapefruit, olives and onions ... three foods that I can't smell or think about, let alone eat.

Ewwwwww......

shais_mom
03-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Grapefruit, olives and onions ...
Ewwwwww......
onions- yepper - EEWWWWWW most of the time I have to REALLY be in the mood.
my opinion has changed on the Olives and Grapefruit.
I've come to love black AND green olives in the last 5 years.
I dunno why b/c before I thought they were the devil's appetizer!

shais_mom
03-17-2008, 12:08 AM
Oh my goodness, I never knew so many people who hate it. I can't imagine ruining it by sprinkling sugar on it. I'm like Donna and peel it like an orange. Actually, there is something in grapefruit that neutralizes the acid (I read it somewhere, I swear!) and honestly, since eating grapefruit at night my heartburn problem has disappeared!

that could be as well - not for sure - but I'm your your 35 pound weightloss has helped your heartburn as well!

**thumbs UP**

Catty1
03-17-2008, 12:39 AM
Mary, you gave it a good try! Fair enough.

Olives and onions? NAAAH....maybe a FEW onions grilled with a steak, or disguised as onion rings...

They don't agree with my tummy, unfortunately...

Medusa
03-17-2008, 06:32 AM
I like to eat fruit in their natural state w/out a lot of sugar. I try not to eat sugar at all but I do confess to having an Oreo addiction. I love onions and olives, though not black olives. Green olives stuffed w/jalapeno peppers, now that's good eatin'!

shepgirl
03-17-2008, 09:25 AM
medussa you don't know what you're missing - I could live on grapefruit, and I never put sugar on them. Ordinairy or pink I just plain love grapefruits.

cassiesmom
03-17-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm with Medusa... grapefruit is vile. And Phred, my grandmother used to eat it with a grapefruit spoon - serrated at the tip, just like the photo in your post. I'm not a fan of citrus fruit in general. I'd rather have a mango, thanks.

Only one person mentioned medication interactions so I thought I'd bring it back up (I'm a nurse). Here is a pretty detailed list.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutrition/AN00413

cassiesmom
03-17-2008, 03:15 PM
Only one person mentioned medication interactions so I thought I'd bring it back up (I'm a nurse).

Not bring it back up, at least not in that context! I thought I'd mention it again.

shepgirl
03-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Cassie's mom - Glad you did bring it back up, I must have missed the first post on interactions. I checked the list of meds for interactions and there were four that I'm taking. I guess the much loved grapefruit will have to be put on the shelf till I see the doc.....waaahhhh.

Moesha
05-13-2008, 10:05 PM
So, I've been thinking about grapefruit since this thread started but haven't actually bought any. My mother went to Florida last week and came back with tangerines and a bag of grapefruit. She said that they didn't have oranges at this time of the year. I was scared because I don't like the tang of grapefruit, but I thought I would try part of one with some of the suggestions in this thread. It was pretty good. I actually ate the whole thing. I did put sugar on it but it wasn't tart at all. I don't know what kind they are. I don't think they are ruby red though. I don't like the skins on the slices. Next time I think I may try eating it a different way. But I will eat it again. It was probably a much better evening snack for me than the alternative of ice cream would have been...not in taste, but in nutritional value.

rosethecopycat
05-13-2008, 11:28 PM
I cut it in half and doused both halves with lots of sugar and let it set for awhile - sectioned it and took a tentative bite.

Way to ruin some good sugar.:p

shais_mom
05-13-2008, 11:49 PM
Way to ruin some good sugar.:p

lol!
I actually liked it! :D

AdoreMyDogs
05-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Because of this thread I'm now addicted to grapefruit! Because of this thread I bought my first grapefruit (didn't care for them as a kid) and I was just FLOORED when I took my first bite of a Texas pink grapefruit. It was the most delicious thing EVER. I buy a bag of graperfruits every time I go grocery shopping now. Quinn loves them, too. She always wants to share grapefruit with mommy, and sometimes she is able to eat an entire grapefruit and I have to cut myself another one. YUMMY!

Karen
05-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Because of this thread I'm now addicted to grapefruit! Because of this thread I bought my first grapefruit (didn't care for them as a kid) and I was just FLOORED when I took my first bite of a Texas pink grapefruit. It was the most delicious thing EVER. I buy a bag of graperfruits every time I go grocery shopping now. Quinn loves them, too. She always wants to share grapefruit with mommy, and sometimes she is able to eat an entire grapefruit and I have to cut myself another one. YUMMY!

I am completely jealous, as I am now highly allergic to them. Enjoy one for me, okay? I sniff them when I pass them in the market ... but that's all I can do. Nowhere near as satisfying as biting into a spoonful of grapefruit, feeling the little juice-pockets that comprise them burst in your mouth ....

Medusa
05-14-2008, 04:09 PM
I am completely jealous, as I am now highly allergic to them. Enjoy one for me, okay? I sniff them when I pass them in the market ... but that's all I can do. Nowhere near as satisfying as biting into a spoonful of grapefruit, feeling the little juice-pockets that comprise them burst in your mouth ....

Oh Karen, stop! My mouth just watered and not because I want a grapefruit! LOL I had no idea what a stir I would cause w/this thread. :p

Lori Jordan
05-14-2008, 08:41 PM
I tried grapefruit once,and to be 100% honest i think i would rather go grab a handful of dirt outside and eat that.

My mother eats them for every meal..I dont know how,But i think that is the way it is when you don't like something,You dont know why or how someone could eat something like that.

I have only tried the one kind,Im open to trying anything different,But grapefruit is never on my grocery list.

Barbara
05-15-2008, 02:41 PM
I had grapefruits regularly after this thread started- I had somehow forgotten how much I liked them ;)

RICHARD
12-21-2009, 01:40 PM
I just ate the best fricking grapefruit.

I stole it from my neighbor's tree, I actually took two.

Every morning going to school, I'd spy them as they were growing, He's not home so I woke up at 1:35 the other morning, walked out to the front of his house, reached over and nabbed two.

It was cold, juicy and sweet.

Had I taken the time to segment that bad boy?

I would not have that small taste of bitterness that comes with eating the skin on each section.:eek:

California Citrus. It's a steal!:eek:

StaffyDaddy
12-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Taste like bile to me.. Pink, red, white... Its like Natures Vomit in an over sized peel LOL

RICHARD
12-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Taste like bile to me.. Pink, red, white... Its like Natures Vomit in an over sized peel LOL

LOL, Sometimes Mom Nature parties a little too much?:eek:;)

StaffyDaddy
12-21-2009, 02:08 PM
LOL, Sometimes Mom Nature parties a little too much?:eek:;)

Yes... Ive eaten them as part of a high protein diet, but can't ever stay on track with that fruit because i have to gag it down lol

phesina
12-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Oh, I LOVE grapefruit!!!

StaffyDaddy
12-21-2009, 02:26 PM
I just don't know how people like that bitter taste. Bitter, bitter, bitter. LOL

lizbud
12-21-2009, 04:36 PM
I just don't know how people like that bitter taste. Bitter, bitter, bitter. LOL

You have to sprinkle sugar on the stuff before eating. Yum Yum:)

pomtzu
12-21-2009, 04:57 PM

Every morning going to school, I'd spy them as they were growing, He's not home so I woke up at 1:35 the other morning, walked out to the front of his house, reached over and nabbed two.

I would not have that small taste of bitterness that comes with eating the skin on each section.:eek:

Do you think your neighbor would miss a crateful if you picked them to send to me??? ;)

RICHARD
12-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Do you think your neighbor would miss a crateful if you picked them to send to me??? ;)

IF he wasn't such a jerk...:(

-----------

If you are industrious?

Take the skin off the segments. That is what makes them bitter!:eek:

RICHARD
08-23-2010, 02:20 PM
I made myself a fruit salad with GF, watermelon and apple. A little mayo?

The GF was a little bitter but, dang, I was refreshing.:D

Medusa
08-23-2010, 05:37 PM

You just made my mouth water. But not in a good way. Is this the same neighbor w/the broken glass?

pomtzu
08-23-2010, 05:43 PM
You just made my mouth water. But not in a good way. Is this the same neighbor w/the broken glass?

Love grapefruit!!! The pink is sweeter too. But just sprinkle a little sugar or sweetener on it and dig in for a real refreshing treat....:D YUM. I'll take that over an orange any old day. :)

Medusa
08-23-2010, 05:45 PM
I don't like citrus at all but especially grapefruit. Yuk!

RICHARD
08-23-2010, 06:05 PM

No, the other side, If anything, that neighbor is too good about his yard and stuff.;)

-----

Texas GF is the measuring stick:)

Asiel
08-23-2010, 08:17 PM
I love any colour grapefruit but red or pink are tastier, and you don't need sugsr . I eat more grapefruit than oranges except for the Christmas oranges.

pomtzu
08-24-2010, 06:57 AM
I don't like citrus at all but especially grapefruit. Yuk!

Have you ever eaten Clementines? You see them a lot around the Christmas season. They are like a tangerine, only smaller and much sweeter and not acidy at all. They're delicious.

wombat2u2004
08-24-2010, 07:05 AM
Errrkkkk.....I hate grapefruit.

Asiel
08-24-2010, 07:58 AM
Have you ever eaten Clementines? You see them a lot around the Christmas season. They are like a tangerine, only smaller and much sweeter and not acidy at all. They're delicious.

LOL....that's what I call Christmas oranges--Tangerines and Clementines. They don't seem to be as large or as sweet as they were when we were kids, some even have pits in them now, but I still eat them all day long. Bonus is that they're supposed to contain double the Vitamin C as an ordinary orange.

Bonny
08-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Texas Grapefruit with sugar on it is great.

pomtzu
08-24-2010, 08:05 AM
LOL....that's what I call Christmas oranges--Tangerines and Clementines. They don't seem to be as large or as sweet as they were when we were kids, some even have pits in them now, but I still eat them all day long. Bonus is that they're supposed to contain double the Vitamin C as an ordinary orange.

Pits??? We're not talking peaches here girl....:D

Occasionally you will find a seed in the Clementines, but not too often.

I can eat several at a time too - they are sooooo good.:)

Asiel
08-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Pits??? We're not talking peaches here girl....:D

Occasionally you will find a seed in the Clementines, but not too often.

I can eat several at a time too - they are sooooo good.:)

Lol......Wrong girl......they're called pips....That's what I meant to type, hit the wrong key after all that talk about spooks I guess :D :D

pomtzu
08-25-2010, 08:24 AM
Lol......Wrong girl......they're called pips....That's what I meant to type, hit the wrong key after all that talk about spooks I guess :D :D

Never heard them called that! You're a pip! LOL :p:D

Lilith Cherry
08-25-2010, 09:19 PM
I love grapefruit - it is delicious! I also like mandarin oranges and tiny little kumquats which you eat whole, peel and all! Citrus fruits are yummy, pips or not!;)

wombat2u2004
08-26-2010, 03:55 AM
I love grapefruit - it is delicious! I also like mandarin oranges and tiny little kumquats which you eat whole, peel and all! Citrus fruits are yummy, pips or not!;)

Peel and pips and all ????
You're not fed off the end of a stick are you ??? :D:D

Lilith Cherry
08-26-2010, 01:53 PM
:pYep! Satay sticks lol.

I have leaves growing out my ears too!

RICHARD
08-26-2010, 08:30 PM
:pYep! Satay sticks lol.

I have leaves growing out my ears too!

Satay sticks?

W/peanut sauce?:D