PDA

View Full Version : Salad Days?

RICHARD
03-09-2008, 02:58 PM
I have been on a salad kick for the last few weeks.

I just made coleslaw last night and had some for breakfast.It was pretty good. Does anyone have any salad recipes?

Here's my recipe.

Shred cabbage, carrots and mayo -the secret ingredient? Add a glob of salad dressing (ranch, bleu, creamy Italian) salt and pepper.

I ran out of mayo one day and tossed some ranch dressing in to make up for it. It works really well with marcaroni salads too.
----------

If you like Kentucky Fried Chicken's coleslaw and want to make it...when you shred the veggies, shred an apple into the mix.

Randi
03-09-2008, 04:19 PM
I don't eat salad often enough, but when I do, it's usually iceberg (and possibly other green salad), cucumber, tomatoes, salad onions, mushrooms and a sprinkle of pine nuts. It's good with either oil/winegar or creme fraice, garlic, salt, pepper and ??? can't rememebr the name of the herb that looks like grass.

I actually love Walfdorf salad too (and that reminds me of Faulty Towers :D ) It goes well with Duck. :p Anyone have a good recipe of that?

RICHARD
03-09-2008, 04:27 PM
can't rememebr the name of the herb that looks like grass.

:)

Chives? The other stuff is illegal.

My all time favorite salad is tomatoes, onions and cucumbers-slice thinly in a box grater and add oil, lemon juice, vinegar and basil.

Let it sit in the fridge for a few hours, some french bread, real butter and a beer should do it!

Randi
03-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Ohhh, is it? :D Yes, chives is what I meant. Thanks!

Pam
03-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Richard I just love a man who can "cook." :p :p

I just made coleslaw last night and had some for breakfast.

For breakfast? :eek: I don't think I could talk my tummy into that in the morning. :) My salads are pretty much the same as Randi's. I love the summer months because the tomatoes are actually GOOD! (No hot house tomatoes!) Of course there is nothing like a Jersey tomato! :cool:

Freedom
03-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Cole slaw: add a bit of pineapple juice, or even pineapple (I prefer crushed inc coleslaw) from a can. Yum!

Salad: we don't eat enough for it to be worth while for me to buy the things. They go bad before we can finish them up. But we NEVER use iceberg lettuce, yuck! NO nutritional value, NO flavor, just a human hybrid to 'look' good. We use Boston lettuce, red leaf or green leaf. In the summer we grow our own. :D Add a bit of endive or raddichio for color AND nutritional value AND flavor!

Medusa
03-09-2008, 05:24 PM
I guess you can call this a salad, I dunno. When I cleaned houses, I brown bagged it and I had to eat light or I'd get weighed down and then lazy and had difficulty finishing the house. And mixed greens just don't stay crisp enough for me. So I'd pack sweet cherry tomatoes and chunks of cucumber, red onion and skim mozzarella string cheese. The strip cheese didn't get stringy; it mixed in really well w/the other ingredients. I added light red wine and olive oil dressing, a little garlic salt and white pepper. Light enough to keep me on my feet; yummy enough that I was satisfied. Mmmm, I think I'll make some for dinner.

caseysmom
03-09-2008, 05:46 PM
I get that iceberg mix at costco and add drained canned garbanzo beans and some ranch dressing and a bit of fresh parmesan.

Medusa
03-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Just remembered another good salad: crunchy pea salad.

Mix together :
one 16 oz. package of thawed frozen peas
1 cup dry roasted peanuts or cashews
1 cup chopped celery
6 strips of very crisp bacon, broken into small pieces
1/4 cup chopped onion

Then mix:
1/2 cup of mayo (I use low fat)
1/4 cup of Zesty Italian dressing

Pour the salad dressing mixture over the other ingredients and blend.

Yummy!

Hellow
03-10-2008, 07:25 AM
For breakfast? :eek: I don't think I could talk my tummy into that in the morning. :) My salads are pretty much the same as Randi's. I love the summer months because the tomatoes are actually GOOD! (No hot house tomatoes!) Of course there is nothing like a Jersey tomato! :cool:

Once i ate those Totino's Pizza Rolls for breakfast, alot worse than cold slaw hehe. Well, when i eat salad (which is rare) i put in:

Iceburg lettuce
Thousand Island dressing
Resturant-style crutons (hope i spelled that right)
Bacon bits
and chicken!

pitc9
03-10-2008, 07:55 AM
I like Broccoli Salad! or it's sometime called Sunshine Salad

5 cups fresh broccoli florets
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup cooked, crumbled bacon
1/4 cup of red onion, chopped
1 cup of frozen peas, thawed
Dressing:
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
PREPARATION:
Combine broccoli florets, raisins, sunflower seeds, crumbled bacon, chopped onion, and peas in a large serving bowl. In a separate bowl or large cup, whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar. Add dressing to the salad and toss to mix well; chill thoroughly before serving.
Broccoli salad serves 4 to 6.

anna_66
03-10-2008, 08:25 AM
We've been trying to eat better, so this is one of my favorite salads:

baby spinach
baby romaine
cucumber
red, yellow, orange & green peppers
almond slices
boiled egg
parmesan cheese
grilled chicken
fresh ground pepper
mild banana peppers
a few croutons
your choice of dressing
(my favorite is Light Done Right Three Cheese Ranch)

ENJOY:D

Sparklecoon
03-10-2008, 08:52 AM
I absolutely LOVE Waldorf Salad though I lost my good recipe :(

jennielynn1970
03-10-2008, 11:06 AM
I love Waldorf Salad... I don't follow a recipe, just toss in what looks to be the right amounts for what I want (I usually add in extra nuts, no celery, easy on the raisins).

Recipe calls for:
6-8 Apples, cut up
1/2 c. Raisins
Celery (diced)
1c. Walnuts (crushed)
Salad dressing (miracle whip)

I usually toss out the celery cause I hate it. When I put in the miracle whip, I add more than necessary because once the salad sets in the fridge, it will absorb a lot of the dressing and get drier. I've seen it someplaces where they added in pineapple, but I didn't like that.

I also like carrot salad.

Shredded carrots
raisins
miracle whip

Chik-Fil-A puts pineapple in theirs, and that's not bad, but sweeter than I'd like.

Andie
03-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Just Days?

I have whole weeks sometimes even months where all I eat is a nice green salad with some grilled chicken breast slices (with just a dash of spices to give it that fajita taste), some cheese, maybe a couple croutons or sunflower seeds to give it a crunch.

Not much of the coleslaw and other types of salads. Very un-Southern like I know but it's true. I think my Daddy was a Yank. :D ;)

cassiesmom
03-10-2008, 07:03 PM
I just made coleslaw last night and had some for breakfast.

Cole slaw for breakfast, Richard? Well, whatever works...

Here's one from a favorite local Italian beef place... Buona Beef (www.buona.com)

Tuscan Harvest Salad

Mixed greens
Gorgonzola cheese, cubed
Sweetened dried cranberries (Craisins, original)
Candied walnuts
Granny Smith apple, peeled and thinly sliced
Fat-free raspberry vinaigrette dressing, on the side

catfamily
03-11-2008, 03:15 AM
Before I met my husband i went to a dinner party in Cambridge and the best part was the salad.
It was called a warm sald...with Spinach and some kind of nuts.
The dressing was warm.
I just cannot remember the ingredients.
I wish i could get the ingredients for it sometime to make it at home here.
Anyone hear of it?

bckrazy
03-11-2008, 04:01 AM
Man... I am a salad FREAK! Not just any salad. Green, leafy, for real salad. I don't understand it, but I have developed an obsession for the past year or so. :3

This is so yummy:

Baby Spinach
Sliced Strawberries
Chopped Walnuts
Crumbled Feta Cheese
& Pear Vinaigrette mixed with a little bit of Apple Cider Vinegar

pitc9
03-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Baby Spinach
Sliced Strawberries
Chopped Walnuts
Crumbled Feta Cheese
& Pear Vinaigrette mixed with a little bit of Apple Cider Vinegar

Wow!
That sounds like a salad I'd love!!!!
Except maybe I'd switch Feta for Bleu Cheese.

mruffruff
03-11-2008, 12:28 PM
One of my favorites was created by my mother many years ago.

Drain a can of Veg All mixed vegetables. Add chopped onion, your choice of greens and coat with a minimal amount of slaw dressing.

When we were growing up, any kind of lettuce was a luxury, so this salad had little of it. It was mostly about getting the kids to eat their veggies.

RICHARD
03-11-2008, 02:47 PM
You have to remember that I am a single guy.

If it ain't moldy or sour, It's good enough for breakfast.

---------

And don't tell me none of you have eaten day old cold pizza.....HYPOCRITES! ;)

--------

Well,

I made this one day, out of necessity and hunger. Tuna salad ala Poor Richard's Kitchen.

Tuna, celery, tomato, mayo and feta cheese. No recipe. Core the tomato, mix the core in the other ingredients and stuff the tomato. Crackers and you are done!

Medusa
03-11-2008, 06:43 PM
[QUOTE=RICHARD]And don't tell me none of you have eaten day old cold pizza QUOTE]
Next you're gonna tell us you dunk it in your coffee.

slick
03-11-2008, 06:55 PM
[QUOTE=RICHARD]And don't tell me none of you have eaten day old cold pizza QUOTE]
Next you're gonna tell us you dunk it in your coffee. You should see what he can do with refried beans.....and the strange things he finds in his chili!!!!!:D :D

gini
03-11-2008, 11:49 PM
[QUOTE=Medusa] You should see what he can do with refried beans.....and the strange things he finds in his chili!!!!!:D :D

I think I mailed all of that out of here - after it thawed of course.:D

RICHARD
03-12-2008, 12:55 AM
Next you're gonna tell us you dunk it in your coffee.

Sorry,
It's diet Mountain Dew. :D

-----------

Slick,

Here's the finger! :D

I have to tell the story again...

At the Cal BBQ Slick cooked up a pot of her chili-The funniest part was the recipe.

It was on a piece of paper that she had brought with her. It wasn't a copy, it was the original....folded like a museum piece. I laughed because she walked around Gini's kitchen, paper in hand, like it was the 10 Commandments.

She finished the dish and came to me with a bowl of the chili and asked me to taste it-It was more than a taste and I was thinking, "why does she want me to taste it -it's such a large serving?"

HINT-
Before that there was a news story about the woman who had planted a human finger into a dish of chili in order to sue the fast food place she was eating at.

As I worked my way to the bottom of the bowl, Under Slick's gaze, I found a rubber finger.

Now I check my chili and the fingers of the people who prepared it.

Just in case. :eek: :D

Karen
03-12-2008, 02:36 AM
I love summer tomatoes, but maybe in California, you can get good tomatoes this time of year? A favorite summertime lunch is chopped tomatoes, fresh mozzarella chopped into chunks, a couple leaves of fresh basil torn up, a red onion - or a quarter of one, depending on what size you can get them, sliced and chopped. Add just a little balsamic vinagrette, toss it all together, and then you can either put that in the fridge to marinate for a bit, or immediately serve it over a bed of nice spinach, or the dark green leafy stuff of your choice!

That and a crusty roll, and I am happy!

(Of course now I skip the vinagrette dressing, and have to just use the balsamic vinegar alone, as I am allergic to olive oil, but it is still darned good!)

bckrazy
03-12-2008, 07:38 AM
Wow!
That sounds like a salad I'd love!!!!
Except maybe I'd switch Feta for Bleu Cheese.

It's soooo good. Especially when Strawberries are in season!

HOMG. Don't ruin it with bleu cheese! I can't stand that stuff. But, I guess a lot of people hate feta, too. I can't get over the... well... blueness of it. D=

RICHARD
03-16-2008, 03:07 PM
I love summer tomatoes, but maybe in California, you can get good tomatoes this time of year?

Out here late summer 'maters are really evil! :D

Lately we have been getting some beauties....Mexican grown-they sneak across the border! - They are meaty, juicy and wonderful inside, but the skin is really tough. Next are the local grown- Cah lee Fuh nee Ah grown- The Las Vegas hot house tomatoes make a showing around September-they are softer skinned-but dense and hard in the middle-they bruise easily but stay solid in the core.

--------------------

If you get lazy and want a fast salad try the DOLE brand package salad kits.
They have packets of parmesan cheese, croutons and dressing with the greens.

My favorite is the Cesar Salad. I add tomato, onion, shredded cheese and a can of baby clams or mixed seafood.

You could do tuna in water, canned shrimp or canned chicken.

Ginger's Mom
03-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Glad you bumped this up, Richard. I had bought a bag of mixed fruit at BJ's because every piece in the bag looks scrumptious. But I am not a big fan of apples (Ginger is though) and couldn't figure out what I was going to do with the apples. Then, you made this thread and someone suggested Waldorf salad. I have never tried a Waldorf salad before. YUM! Only one apple left now. :D

beeniesmom
03-16-2008, 04:25 PM
My perfect lunch salad for 1:

Put in a large salad dish in the order they are listed.

2 cups cleaned romaine leaves cut into bite size pieces.
1/2 can tuna in oil (drained)
1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes cut in half
1/4 cup sliced carrots
1/4 cup sliced celery
palm full of walnuts
red wine vinaigrette dressing (splash red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, pinch of oregano).

RICHARD
03-18-2008, 02:53 AM
DUDE!

I just ate a rocking good fruit salad.

Apples, oranges watermelon!

RICHARD
03-20-2008, 07:09 PM
The first potato salad of the Spring stopped by my house today.

I didn't have any olives though.... :(

RICHARD
05-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Here's an easy tuna salad-not the creamy sandwich kind--

1 drained can o'tuna -save the juice for the cat!
1 package of iceberg lettuce mix
2 roma tomatoes
.5 yellow onion
1 cucumber
Some green olives.

Dressing of your choice.

Some people like their veggies cut a certain way so chop, slice or dice away!

You can add croutons, bacon bits or even some tortilla chips for crunch-Interesting twist? Instead of croutons take a handful of Fun Yums- Those fake onion rings chip things and add them to the bowl. They get funky soft in dressing so you can add them after you dress the salad!

catfamily
05-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Here's an easy tuna salad-not the creamy sandwich kind--

1 drained can o'tuna -save the juice for the cat!
1 package of iceberg lettuce mix
2 roma tomatoes
.5 yellow onion
1 cucumber
Some green olives.

Dressing of your choice.

Some people like their veggies cut a certain way so chop, slice or dice away!

You can add croutons, bacon bits or even some tortilla chips for crunch-Interesting twist? Instead of croutons take a handful of Fun Yums- Those fake onion rings chip things and add them to the bowl. They get funky soft in dressing so you can add them after you dress the salad!
that's a very YUMMY salad!!
I love the green olives you put in with the cucumber....yum!

Cincy'sMom
05-15-2008, 06:53 PM
I don't know that I have a favorite salad recipe, but I do love to use salsa instead of salad dressing. Tomato juice works well too

Rachel
05-15-2008, 07:17 PM
This is a salad I've been eating a lot lately.

Romaine lettuce
Slices of fresh pear
dried cherries
chopped walnuts
Balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing

RICHARD
05-15-2008, 07:17 PM
I don't know that I have a favorite salad recipe, but I do love to use salsa instead of salad dressing. Tomato juice works well too

You gave me a great idea for salad dressing!
Sour cream, milk to thin it out, 'mater juice and basil, S and P!:)
Run that sucker through a blender?

RICHARD
06-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Fruit salads?

Besides the fruit, what do you add to yours?

I like shredded coconut and a seasoned salt in mine.

----------

At some Mexican stores you can get some pre-made salads with a lime -chile-salt packet that makes the FS really tasty !

Almita
06-29-2008, 09:13 PM
For salads, it's usually romaine lettuce, iceburg lettuce, and spinach. then cucumbers, carrots, yellow and white cheese. then oil and vinegar. that's pretty much it.

for fruit salads, i love any kind of fruits really, sometimes with chili powder, lemon, and salt.

RICHARD
06-29-2008, 09:23 PM
for fruit salads, i love any kind of fruits really, sometimes with chili powder, lemon, and salt.

Have you ever tried Tajin?

http://www.mexgrocer.com/15002.html

I put this on everything. especially my steamed veggies!

The kids buy it for lemons, You'll see kids sucking on lemons sprinkling Tajin on it while they walk down the street.

Don't blame me if you get hooked.:eek:

Almita
06-29-2008, 11:26 PM
yep we use that, and some stuff we get from mexico as well. very good.

RICHARD
06-29-2008, 11:42 PM
yep we use that, and some stuff we get from mexico as well. very good.

Do you have a name for the other stuff?

Please?:) Thanks!

Almita
06-30-2008, 01:50 AM
Do you have a name for the other stuff?

Please?:) Thanks!

I wish i could, i asked my mother where she got them and she said that her step sister made them. who lives in mexico. I thought they were store bought, but they just had a sticker on them. Which, made it seem like it was