PDA

View Full Version : Spam on cell phones?

Laura's Babies
03-09-2008, 11:56 AM
The other day I started getting texts messages from someplace wanting me to go to some web sight, got 3 in one day, the last 2 coming in at midnight and 2am. Got another one today. Now I am having to turn my cell phone off at night! I tried calling AT&T but they are closed for the week end. Is anyone else getting these? What is the world can you do to stop these? This is SO annoying, now SPAM on cell phones?

Edwina's Secretary
03-09-2008, 12:08 PM
You can put your cell phone on the do not call registry just as you do your landline phone. Go to https://www.donotcall.gov/ to register.

Hellow
03-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Never heard of cell phone spam until now. But it is not near as common and advanced as email spam lol. Isnt there a option in your cell phone to turn off or to not accept sms messages?

Medusa
03-09-2008, 05:31 PM
I put my cell phone on the National Do Not Call Registry but the text messages that I receive are from Canada. How they got my number I have no idea. I was getting at least one a day for a while but they seem to have stopped now.

Jessika
03-09-2008, 05:36 PM
I've received them before, but have added my cell to the "do not call" list and haven't got a single one since.

What sucks about texting is that usually costs you money, especially if you aren't on a plan. Whereas calling your landline doesn't usually cost as much, especially if you don't pick up.

Jessika
03-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Never heard of cell phone spam until now. But it is not near as common and advanced as email spam lol. Isnt there a option in your cell phone to turn off or to not accept sms messages?
Some may have this feature, but typically it is something you set up through your provider. For example, I have the option of "paying as I go" or paying for a plan of X messages a month for Y dollars. My sister however has disabled receiving and sending SMS and MMS altogether by disabling it through the provider, not her cell phone itself.

The problem I see with only turning it off on your phone (if you even have that feature) is the text message is still sent through the network and you will probably still have to pay for the message, even if you didn't receive it on your phone. Disabling it through the provider usually means it does not get sent across the network at all, therefore you don't have to pay for it period.

Laura's Babies
03-09-2008, 05:51 PM
I AM on the do not call list, I put it on there when they first created it and I found out. (BUT will go do it again)

I do have text so many per month for a set fee and why should I not have text because some stupid people have nothing better to do? That CHAPS MY HIDE! I looked for a block option and there is none.. and if you don't have the so many a month, these idiots send them to you knowing YOU will be charged!

Medusa
03-09-2008, 05:56 PM
I don't have texting on my plan so if I get one, I delete it w/out reading it. I've not been charged for them. My plan is w/Verizon.

Hellow
03-10-2008, 07:31 AM
Some may have this feature, but typically it is something you set up through your provider. For example, I have the option of "paying as I go" or paying for a plan of X messages a month for Y dollars. My sister however has disabled receiving and sending SMS and MMS altogether by disabling it through the provider, not her cell phone itself.

The problem I see with only turning it off on your phone (if you even have that feature) is the text message is still sent through the network and you will probably still have to pay for the message, even if you didn't receive it on your phone. Disabling it through the provider usually means it does not get sent across the network at all, therefore you don't have to pay for it period.

O because since im getting a iPhone soon ive been reading about it and in its options, i believe, it has the option to recieve or to not recieve text messages. But as you said for a long term cure disable it through the provider, in my case AT&T.

Grace
03-10-2008, 10:23 AM
We don't text message with our cell phones, so we had Verizon block any incoming. Since we have to pay 15¢ per message whether we know the person or not, I'll be d*mned if I'm going to pay for that junk.