PDA

View Full Version : How do I keep cookies fresh?

Pembroke_Corgi
03-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Yesterday was my studio's annual piano recital, and everyone brings cookies (not to mention my boss also buys some for the event). This means we have about a million cookies left over. :p We gave some away, but I got stuck with the bulk of them.

There are a few still in packages- like the girl scout cookies- I froze those, but most of them are loose. We plan on giving some away, and having Eric take a lot to work, but we will still have A LOT left.

Can I put these cookies into a few freezer bags and freeze them or is there another way to keep cookies fresh?

Laura's Babies
03-09-2008, 10:40 AM
I freeze cookies in zip lock bags for those times when I will need them but not have time to bake. Just make sure something heavy isn't sat on top of them.

Rachel
03-09-2008, 10:45 AM
I freeze cookies in zip lock bags.

That's what I do too. Also when you *need* a cookie to eat, you don't even have to defrost it, just put it up to your mouth and blow a little hot breath into it. :o

joycenalex
03-09-2008, 11:04 AM
cookies can stay around long enough to get stale? :D :eek: :D

Sirrahsim
03-09-2008, 11:19 AM
my thoughts exactly!!

Kfamr
03-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Yep - when my mom and I make dozens and dozens of cookies to give away for the holidays we freeze them in large gladware containers. We put them on plates and let them defrost before giving them to people and they're still as tasty as ever! :)

Karen
03-09-2008, 12:16 PM
The most important thing is keeping moist cookies separate from dry, crunchy cookies. Segregating strongly-flavored cookies into their own containers also helps. Dry, crunchy cookies will keep for a while without needing to be frozen, but the rest, yup - freezing is best!

moosmom
03-09-2008, 12:22 PM
A hint from Heloise Ploss...

When you make cookies in big batches, if they start getting a little "stale", put them in a airtight container with a piece of fresh white bread. They'll spring back to life. Once the slice of bread is stale, remove it.

Scooter's Mom
03-09-2008, 01:26 PM

When you make cookies in big batches, if they start getting a little "stale", put them in a airtight container with a piece of fresh white bread. They'll spring back to life. Once the slice of bread is stale, remove it.

When my brother was in boot camp (Oct-Dec 1988) we learned this trick. We'd bake up a huge batch of cookies and put them in gallon size ziplock bags, then put in a piece of white bread (wrapped loosely in a paper towel). Everyone in my brothers company loved getting those cookies. They were so fresh and soft, and nobody else's family had figured that out yet.

RICHARD
03-09-2008, 02:19 PM

Yep, it's that last one I leave in the package.....it's to show that I want to share. ;)

Jessika
03-09-2008, 03:07 PM

That's what I was going to suggest as my mom has ALWAYS done this with every batch she's ever made... that is, if they make it long enough to cool ;)

lvpets2002
03-09-2008, 03:39 PM
;) Eat Them of Course :D I would say a zip-lock baggy..

BitsyNaceyDog
03-10-2008, 09:40 AM

That's what I was just going to say. My grandma always keep a slice of bread with her cookies. She even puts bread in a container of Oreos, she doesn't like them hard and the bread softens them.

Pembroke_Corgi
03-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the advice. I double-bagged them and stuck 'em in the freezer. It's hard to resist a cold little snack every time I pass the fridge though!

Not normally! But altogether I had 6 gallon-sized freezer bags full, plus two full boxes of cookies! Even a sweetaholic like me can't eat that much in one day! :p