PDA

View Full Version : shovel out the fire hydrant ohio!

joycenalex
03-08-2008, 12:14 PM
no not for the dogs, altho' some will appreciate it. if the snow keeps coming down, the fire department , (heaven forbid anyone needs them today amen) will need fast fast access. i did the one next door just a few minutes ago, and in honor of PHRED and daylight savings time i changed the batteries in the smoke detectors. and FWIW, this much snow and hernia repair surgery isn't a good mix. we're gonna do this in easy stages today.

Medusa
03-08-2008, 01:23 PM
No fire hydrants nearby but smart of you to remember. Take it easy w/the shoveling. That's what neighbor kids are for. Fortunately, my snow plow guy also shovels my walkway, if he can ever get back here again.

Cinder & Smoke
03-08-2008, 01:39 PM
:)

Good On'ya, Joyce!!

A "clean" hydrant can make a BIG difference at a fire ... I've been in snow storms
where we couldn't even SEE the top of the hydrants ... kinda hard to "remember" where
each one is ... I've "waded" through waist-deep snow *probing* with a shovel to find
the darn hydrant more than once!

Out here in the Boonies - no such worry ... We got NO Hydrants! :eek:
Water for us comes out of ponds and lakes if we need more than we haul in with our
water tender/tankers. WINTER firefighting is NOT *phunn*! :(

And Please - CHANGE those Smoke Detector BATTERIES!!
And {{{HUG}}} a FireFighter!

:D

anna_66
03-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Well I would, but the closest one is over 2 miles away...lol!

Yeah, you better be careful there joyce!

joycenalex
03-08-2008, 01:53 PM
LOL! i am such an urbanite! i assumed there would be fire hydrants everywhere. i lived in west michigan (near Grand Rapids) for almost 20 years, and it was just part of the winter shovel job, fire hydrant first, porch and stairs/sidewalk for mail carrier second, driveway, then older neighbors stuff down the way, and so on. i don't recall this much show in all the years i've lived in ohio, so it's been a brisk reminder of my lost youth :D

anna_66
03-08-2008, 02:50 PM
:)

And {{{HUG}}} a FireFighter!

:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/anna66/Smileys/bighug.gifJust for you Phred! Our favorite fireman