PDA

View Full Version : What have you learned?

Karen
03-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Just a thread I thought might be fun!

What have you learned from being part of Pet Talk? How about one item per post, and we can all chime in as we think of another!

I have learned ... that dogs can have Frito feet!

add yours!

caseysmom
03-07-2008, 04:59 PM
How to analyze dog food ingredients.

slick
03-07-2008, 05:11 PM
I've learned that I really am loved :) and there are some people who sincerely care about me.

CountryWolf07
03-07-2008, 05:12 PM
I have learned ... that dogs can have Frito feet!

I've got to comment on this, while snuggling with Rosie earlier in bed, I just kissed her paws, then I was thinking how much they smelled like fritos! ;)

Anyways....

What have I learned? Everyone is different and we all have our own opinions about every single thing you could ever list.

Pam
03-07-2008, 05:56 PM
I am embarrassed to say that I have learned what wonderful friends shelter pups make. Before joining PT in 2000 and adopting Ripley in 2003 all of my dogs had come from breeders. Any future dogs will come from shelters or foster homes.

beeniesmom
03-07-2008, 05:59 PM
I've learned that there are so many... too many shelter dogs/cats.
I love my puppers so much that words can't describe what I feel but I have to say that my next dogs will be shelter or rescue dogs (like Pam).

caseysmom
03-07-2008, 06:04 PM
I am embarrassed to say that I have learned what wonderful friends shelter pups make. Before joining PT in 2000 and adopting Ripley in 2003 all of my dogs had come from breeders. Any future dogs will come from shelters or foster homes.

Thats another thing I have learned also.

ramanth
03-07-2008, 06:11 PM
I know I learned quite a bit but to single out just one thing... I must admit, I'm drawing a blank. :o

However, anytime something questionable comes up in our household, Andy's first response is ALWAYS "Ask Pet Talk." ;) :D

anna_66
03-07-2008, 06:12 PM
I've learned that dogs are not "just dogs". They are part of the family and need to be treated as such.

Laura's Babies
03-07-2008, 06:40 PM
I have learned there are more animals out there that needs help than there are people to help them!

Karen
03-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Another thing:

I have learned that there are entire transport networks set up and that regularly function to move dogs in need of homes from one part of the country to another!

I didn't know that before Pet Talk!

*LabLoverKEB*
03-07-2008, 06:52 PM
I have learned soooo many wonderful things from being a part of PT.
I have learned to love Pit Bulls.

gemini9961
03-07-2008, 07:05 PM
I have learned about the shelter dogs too. I knew about shelters before but didn't realize how important it is to rescue pups from there. My first 2 dogs (Sadie and Maggie) are pet store purchases :( (I know better now) but I love them dearly. Grant is from the shelter and he almost didn't stay here. I know Karen said one but I have also learned how different breeds need different things and not every single breed will be best for me.

columbine
03-07-2008, 07:09 PM
I've learned that allergic reactions to food can take up to 3 months to clear up in cats, so it pays to be patient!

Catty1
03-07-2008, 07:29 PM
I've learned that PT People both lean on and help each other through just about anything. And they make darn sure you are accountable when you have something to complain about! :)

Andie
03-07-2008, 08:02 PM
I have learned ... the power of prayers.

CountryWolf07
03-07-2008, 08:12 PM
I have learned ... the power of prayers.

I agree.

Freedom
03-07-2008, 08:37 PM
What have you learned from being part of Pet Talk? How about one item per post

Aw only ONE item??? Darn!

I have learned to be much more clear in my writing. When I first joined, I wrote things that had to be explained and re-explained, and I sometimes offended people without even knowing it! It was not intended and when they called me on it, I had to keep reading and re-reading what I wrote to see why they took it a different way. That hasn't happened in a LONG time, so I think I must be writing much better!

Catlady711
03-07-2008, 08:42 PM
I have learned that there are actually people in the world that don't groan when I want to show them yet another pix of my kitties!! :D :D

Karen
03-07-2008, 08:44 PM
I said one item per post, you can post another time or twelve if you'd like!

I just thought of one:

Did you know I had never heard The Rainbow Bridge story before Pet Talk?

kitten645
03-07-2008, 09:53 PM
I have learned that there are OTHER people that consider animals a part of the family and a life long commitment! :D Shocking! I've always been considered an "animal nut" and now I found my peeps..LOL
Claudia

anna_66
03-07-2008, 09:56 PM
I have learned that people I've never met before can be some of the best friends I have:D

carole
03-07-2008, 09:59 PM
I have learned to be more compassionate.

karen i had never heard of the rainbow bridge either before PT. :)

Andie
03-07-2008, 10:03 PM
I have learned that there are OTHER people that consider animals a part of the family and a life long commitment! :D Shocking! I've always been considered an "animal nut" and now I found my peeps..LOL
Claudia
LOL. I know. I thought I was nuts too, wait a minute I AM nuts but for different reasons, then I found PT.

I have learned that people I've never met before can be some of the best friends I have

True.

Laura's Babies
03-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Someone mentioned the power of prayer.. I learned that too and have had it reinforced many, many times!

crazyboutanimals
03-07-2008, 11:44 PM
since i have joined i have learned ALOT, but, because you can only post 1 thing LOL, i guess i would have to say i learned that I am not the only one who cries when i see an animal in pain. :(

Dorothy39
03-08-2008, 12:02 AM
I said one item per post, you can post another time or twelve if you'd like!

I just thought of one:

Did you know I had never heard The Rainbow Bridge story before Pet Talk?
I'd never heard about The Rainbow Bridge before Pet Talk either!!!

"Just on item"?~~~~ says Dot~~~~okay, give me a minute :rolleyes:

I learned that my feelings penetrated a wide audience and suddenly, I had a voice.

Flatcoatluver
03-08-2008, 12:45 AM
Aww Most you pointed out what I have learned..

But I will chime in, I have learned how to find a good responsible dog breeder, who breeds to better the breed and does health and temperment testing.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
03-08-2008, 01:08 AM
I've learned to move on.

And I've learned that someone always has it worse than I do.

I'm LEARNING to be strong again.

Pam
03-08-2008, 08:09 AM
Just thought of another thing. :) Many PTers post links (health links, dog and cat related supply links, novelties for pets, etc.) when they are replying to a thread. I have visited many of those links which have subsequently made me spend some $$ but I have gotten some unique things that I wouldn't have found otherwise. :)

Randi
03-08-2008, 08:56 AM
I hvae learend a lot heer, butt I'll strat wiht di obvuios.... I wrtie beettr English an unnerstand it tu. :D

Pembroke_Corgi
03-08-2008, 09:02 AM
I learned that there are people in the world who are unfailingly generous to others they have not even met. I still think this is a rare quality, but pet talk folks are just more compassionate than most, I guess. :) It's nice to see everyone help each other.

Freedom
03-08-2008, 09:10 AM
I'd not heard of the Rainbow Bridge prior to PT, either!

As some have also said, I've learned I am not the only animal lover on the planet! (Since only 'bad' things make the news, you only ever read about the meanies out there.) It's nice to be surrounded by similarly thinking folks.

Karen
03-08-2008, 12:44 PM
I hvae learend a lot heer, butt I'll strat wiht di obvuios.... I wrtie beettr English an unnerstand it tu. :D

Hee hee - that gave me a chuckle! :)

I have learned that "shepherd's pie" means different things to different people!

columbine
03-08-2008, 01:16 PM
I have learned that "shepherd's pie" means different things to different people!Is it made with real shepherds? :p

Randi
03-08-2008, 01:51 PM
I have also learned that there are SO many wonderful animal lovers out there - and some of them are closer to me (or as close) as my own family. :)

Freedom
03-08-2008, 02:23 PM
In addition to loads of pet info, I have learned about the geography and scenery of places I have not been to myself. Glacier and Gabriels' Girls come to mind, but I know many have posted photos of where they live, where they go on vacation, and I am learning so much about other parts of the world!

Angus's Dad
03-08-2008, 02:31 PM
That there's a crazy lady who lives in Upper Sandusky;):D

shais_mom
03-08-2008, 02:47 PM
That there's a crazy lady who lives in Upper Sandusky;):D
lmao!
that there's a nutty guy that Lives in Piqua! ;)

shais_mom
03-08-2008, 02:51 PM
I have learned that people I've never met before can be some of the best friends I have:D
ditto- and when you DO meet them - it makes it even more special.

even when they have Nutty Husbands! ;) :D

Love you!

shais_mom
03-08-2008, 02:54 PM
that all it takes is one phone call to a state clear across the country to orchestrate a visit from the fire dept! ;) :p

shais_mom
03-08-2008, 02:55 PM
that there are animal lovers - (like me!) all over the world - makes me feel not quite as alone in the 'real world' when people don't care about animals as much as I do.

Cinder & Smoke
03-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Even when they have Nutty Husbands! ;) :D

Now, WHOO'z she callin NUTTY, now?? :confused:

That all it takes is one phone call,
to a state clear across the country,
to orchestrate a visit from the fire dept! ;) :p

:D
No names mentioned.
:p

Rachel
03-08-2008, 04:57 PM
I've always been considered an "animal nut" and now I found my peeps.

Can't say it any better than that.

shais_mom
03-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Now, WHOO'z she callin NUTTY, now?? :confused:

:D
No names mentioned.
:p
the same one I was earlier!
you are an "ex" and I don't know the "ex" so you aren't included in the nuttiness - altho sometimes I wonder! :p ;)

DJFyrewolf36
03-08-2008, 05:12 PM
I learned that I am a cat person :D

I came to PT with no cats and now I have three! Thanks PT ;)

catnapper
03-08-2008, 05:38 PM
I have learned to open my heart and home to homeless animals who need a temporary foster home.... and I have learned I'm not the only one who fails at fostering. :D

dukedogsmom
03-08-2008, 07:19 PM
I, too, learned about Frito feet :) I also learned about backyard breeders and puppy mills. I got my first cat from a pet store. Loved him dearly but knowing what I know now, I'd have never have bought him. It's so much better to rescue!
I've learned how compassionate PT people can be and what a great family we all are. When one hurts, we all hurt. It's so good to have a place like this that's always home, even when you're away from home.

Felicia's Mom
03-08-2008, 09:25 PM
I learned how to post pictures!;)

Karen
03-09-2008, 12:20 AM
I have learned about cerebral hypoplasia, never knew about before, and did not know it can be caused by the mother cat being sick while pregnant.

dab_20
03-09-2008, 01:10 AM
Wow, I have learned so many things here on PT.

I have learned that Pit Bulls are not the vicious dogs people say they are and about BYBs.

Pam
03-09-2008, 06:49 AM
I learned how to post pictures!;)

Me too! I almost forgot about that! ;)

Rachel
03-09-2008, 10:42 AM
I've learned that young people are more confident, articulate, and a lot smarter than I was at their age.

Bengalz
03-09-2008, 01:17 PM
I have learned so much from so many terrific people on PT. Health and behaviour issues (people and animals); different places and different cultures; humour and empathy; love and respect for others; and of course, the many little furry (or not) / feathered friends that grace our lives, all of them special and unique in their own individual ways.

Most significantly I learned that a cat makes his/her own choice and to respect that choice is to welcome a great gift. Eve chose to come to us and although we tried many times to return her to her previous home, she persisted. We learned to listen to her choice and are now blessed to have her in our lives. :D She has brought so much joy and we are grateful for a good lesson learned. :D

Pam
03-09-2008, 02:12 PM
I have also learned that you can have really big dogs living in the same household with really little dogs. Bella is 50 lbs. and Ripley is 15 lbs. but there are some really big size differences here on PT. Before seeing WELOVESPUPPIES' Champ and Duke with Chopper, and Kimlovescats' Bear with Betina, and Anna's Bon with Simba, and some of the other big/little combinations on here I would have thought the sizes might be too extreme. (Do I dare think about having a chi some day? :p )

Alysser
03-09-2008, 03:52 PM
I, too, learned about Frito feet :) I also learned about backyard breeders and puppy mills. I got my first cat from a pet store. Loved him dearly but knowing what I know now, I'd have never have bought him. It's so much better to rescue!
I've learned how compassionate PT people can be and what a great family we all are. When one hurts, we all hurt. It's so good to have a place like this that's always home, even when you're away from home.

This pretty much summed up what I learned. I also learned pitties aren't "vicious". :rolleyes:

RICHARD
03-09-2008, 04:20 PM
All the cute behavior, things in the house broken, cat behavior is shared by every cat owner on POTD.....But, The Edster is still a unique dude.

Randi
03-09-2008, 04:21 PM
I've also learned that not all cats like CLAM juice! :D

Andie
03-09-2008, 04:50 PM
I've also learned that not all cats like CLAM juice! :D

Or beer. Both of ours love it. Isis will try to stick her head down a longneck.

cassiesmom
03-09-2008, 09:38 PM
I've learned ...
About dog sledding (Thank you, Glacier!)
How to use PayPal :)
Things about specific dog breeds like Borzoi and Tollers
Better products to put in the litter pan than what I'd been using

Daisy and Delilah
03-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Where do I start?? :)

I always knew that spaying and neutering was the right thing to do for your pets because of pet population control. However, I didn't know about the diseases that can be gotten if our pets aren't spayed or neutered. I'm very thankful for that knowledge.

Rachel
03-10-2008, 09:43 AM
I've learned that I can *fall in love* with dogs of a specific breed that previously I never thought I'd have any interest in.

tikeyas_mom
03-10-2008, 11:24 AM
I have learned alot about the special needs of many differen't small animals.
EX: That ratties cannot eat a hamster food diet of seeds, they needs fruits, veggies, and lite dog food... Also that they are very smart little animals, can even learn tricks!

But honestly, I have learned soooo much in the time I have been a member.. And hope to learn more, or pass on my knowledge to other members.

Karen
03-10-2008, 01:20 PM
I just thought of another - I have learned how much postage is to Canada, Mexico, and to Europe! ;)

cassiesmom
03-10-2008, 01:26 PM
How to get pictures out of the camera and into the computer!
A lot about the pit bull.
About back-yard breeders and "mills", about new-born baby puppies and the goals of breeding.
Yesterday I learned that it is possible for a peacock to be completely white! Wow!

Randi
03-10-2008, 01:39 PM
I have learned that cats (and dogs too) have SO many different expressions - and what they mean. :)

WELOVESPUPPIES
03-10-2008, 01:54 PM
I have learned that when I have a concern for my furkids I have the support of wonderful people all around the world that I have never met in person.

WELOVESPUPPIES
03-10-2008, 01:56 PM
I have learned that I am probably not the only person in the world who has more pictures of my furkids and then my human family :D

WELOVESPUPPIES
03-10-2008, 02:11 PM
I have learned that no matter how crapy a day I have had I can come on here and it will surely bring a smile to my face and happiness in my heart.

mruffruff
03-10-2008, 02:54 PM
I have learned that there are a lot of talented, intelligent teens in this world. I'm glad to have the opportunity to hear what they have to say and see their beautiful photos, artwork and stories.

pitc9
03-10-2008, 04:31 PM
I've learned that I'm not crazy after all!!
There are other people in this world that love their pets just as much as I do!

Karen
03-10-2008, 08:56 PM
I've learned that I'm not crazy after all!!
There are other people in this world that love their pets just as much as I do!

Gee, what does your first sentence have to do with the second? ;) Just teasing!

Ooh, and I learned about ZenniOptical.com, and am gonna order a pair of sunglasses from them, because I lost my pair. My glasses usually cost about $400, so being able to get them for around $30 is great. Knowing other Pet Talkers have ordered from there and been satisfied is important - and even my eye doctor is curious as to how it will go!

pitc9
03-11-2008, 09:11 AM
I've learnen how to keep my PetTalk Screen small when the boss is around so I can check on threads all day long! :o

Suki Wingy
03-11-2008, 08:41 PM
I have learned that it's not about how many pets you have, it's about the times you have with them.

Sonia59
03-12-2008, 11:54 AM
I have learned many new words in English :)

Taz_Zoee
03-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Wow, everyone has pretty much covered all of the things I've learned here.
The first being to adopt/rescue animals.

The other big things I've learned is all the different breeds of dogs. I am always naming breeds, or guessing mixes of dogs I see out and about. My boyfriend is pretty impressed. :D Sometimes he'll ask me....what breed is that? heehee
This weekend I guessed a chi JRT mix. And I got to see and pet two beautiful St Bernards and a Newfi. One of these days I'll make a thread and show the pictures I took of them too.

elizabethann
03-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Well considering Fenway is my very first dog, I've learned just about everything you need to know about dogs from PT. In fact, I've become such an expert that my friends and co-workers ask me for my opinion on cat or dog related subjects.

I can remember when I started looking up all these questions about dogs and there was Pet Talk. Then I joined and I've been a part of the community ever since.

I love PT. :)

cassiesmom
03-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Today I learned some things about betta fish from looking first at the Pet General thread and then at Wikipedia...

-they are VERY colorful;
-males make nests of bubbles to give a female a place to lay eggs;
-only one male betta per aquarium because the guys don't get along with each other;
-did I mention they are extremely colorful? :)

But, Betta people, what do you do with those bubbles when you have to clean the bowl? Do you just dump it? Does the fish get confused about where it went?

momoffuzzyfaces
03-20-2008, 06:33 PM
I never knew how very fond I could be of people I've never met and their pets before Pet Talk. :D

Emeraldgreen
03-20-2008, 10:07 PM
I have learned so much about the many different ways to treat cancer through the supportive posts of PT members. I came on here feeling hopeless about the condition of my cat 8 months ago and today he is still with us and I feel so blessed to have him and feel optomistic about the future.