PDA

View Full Version : Taking cats to vet can be bad for YOU..LOL

Catlady711
03-06-2008, 06:00 PM
So today I had an appointment to take Pooky & Bear in for their yearly vaccinations.

Not a big deal normally. Josh and Sabrina get SO upset when they see a carrier, or smell anything different on ANY cat that goes to the vet to the point that I have to lock them both up separate for 2 days, it can be quite an ordeal to say the least.

Had a NEW plan this time. Lock up Josh and Sabrina separately before even attempting to get collars, leases or carriers out, that way those two won't even know it. Put one of the pet mats from the main house in the carrier instead of using the one that stays in the carrier in the basment. Dunno maybe they hate basement smells. lol

Anyways so how is this bad for HUMANS you ask?

Well.....

So I'm getting an empty carrier out of the basement cubby hole, empty mind you, barely weighs 3 lbs. I pull out the mat that's in it, turn and toss it back in the cubby hole. When I turn to shut the small lightweight door something in my back and across my ribs starts hurting.

As I'm walking up the stairs carrying this empty carrier it starts hurting MUCH worse! I get to the point I can't bend over, or twist and breathing gets a bit labored. So at this point I'm just plain MAD :mad: because I can't figure out why I'm hurting all of a sudden.

Fortunately I'd had my mom come over to help with the cats so Pooky could go on the leash rather than in a carrier (makes him happier). She had to pick up big ole Bear (17.3 lbs!) in the carrier (heavy combo!) and take him out to the car. I got Pooky and could barely hold him but managed to get him to the car.

I went back to lock my door and just as I got back to the car door I had to sneeze. DARN good thing I was already holding the car door handle because the pain was so bad I almost went down in the snow!! By this time now I've went from pain to pain AND panic!

We go ahead to the vet and while I'm having a few coworkers help me with the cats my mom calls my doctor who says he can see me right away (of course my boss is now thinking I'm not coming in to work tomorrow lol). We drop off the cats at the house afterwards and head out to the dr. office. I was VERY uncomfortable sitting and had to cram my feet against the floor hard and shove against the door handle to straighten myself up the whole way there.

Turns out that I have a luxating something (much bigger word I can't remember), basically rib strain or slight dislocation. My doctor is also an osteopath so he twists and pulls on me (which also hurt) and gives me a prescription for Etodolac (an NSAID) and says take it easy for a few days.

Well after the dr. had done his twisting pulling thing on me I feel quite a bit better. My meds are kicking in and I feel stiff but I can move without that excruciating pain now. I called work to update them and tell them I'll be in tomorrow but I'll have to take it a bit easy.

Anyways so that's why taking the cats to the vet can be bad for humans. LOL

BTW: Pooky looked good but had to have his anal glands squeezed (I had tried it myself a couple days ago but couldn't get it right). Bear had a very very slight resparitory sound. He'd been slightly 'ouchie' around his tail base area but his anal glands were fine. Vet said he's probably feeling 'ouchie' because of the slight respiratory thing, I'm to keep a very close eye on him and if it doesn't go away we'll need to check into it further. Bear is quite the baby so he's probably just being whiney-er than usual.

And for the topper on all of it!.....

Pooky & Bear had about 1 1/2 hours loose in the house after their appt so they apparently don't smell like the vet (other than Pooky's anal glands). After putting the carrier/leases/collars away I let Josh & Sabrina out and fed everyone and NOT one cat hissed, fought, growled or anything!! YAY!!!!!!!!

So I'm stiff, cats are getting along and that's the end of todays saga. lol

jackie
03-07-2008, 02:48 AM
Ouch, pulling or displacing anything hurts so much.

I once pulled a muscle in my neck just by stretching in the morning. :rolleyes:

Glad to hear the vets went smoothly and I hope you are feeling a bit better. Take it easy for the next couple of days and spoil yourself.

catmandu
03-07-2008, 05:58 PM
My Vet Visits So I Crall All The Older Cats, But The Kitten Trio I Cant Catch At All As They Are Young And I Am Old.
We Almost Had Scrappy 2 But She Went Crazy And We Had To Release Her Before Someoe Got Scratched Up.
And Thats With The Vet Assistant And Aunt Joan Holding Her.
Somehow I Have To Have Them Looked At.

ramanth
03-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Ouch! Glad the cats vet visit went well. Sorry it caused you pain! :(

Freedom
03-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Josh and Sabrina get SO upset when they see a carrier, or smell anything different on ANY cat that goes to the vet to the point that I have to lock them both up separate for 2 days, it can be quite an ordeal to say the least. . . . . . . .

After putting the carrier/leases/collars away I let Josh & Sabrina out and fed everyone and NOT one cat hissed, fought, growled or anything!! YAY!!!!!!!!

Well at least THAT problem is solved. Now you know for future (and we all want you to have a LONG future with them!)

Keep taking your meds, taking it easy, resting, and doing what the vet . . . er, I mean the DOCTOR ordered! :D Isn't this what we always tell the kitties? Prayers that you recover quickly. And which ever move you made which caused the 'ouch!' please don't do it again.

Catlady711
03-07-2008, 08:39 PM
I'm a bit stiff and achy today but nothing actually painful. Work went well although coworkers insisted on helping me lift a 70 lb dog (normally no one helps me below 90 lbs). I don't seem to have any problems lifting things, it's any twisting or leaning that seems to stiffen me up.

Thanks for the well wishes, I appreciate them! :)