PDA

View Full Version : Question from non cat owner

emc
03-06-2008, 01:50 PM
My Mom's friend's cat had kittens, and my Mom told her to save one kitten for my cousin, but I'm sure my cousin won't want it (she's away for a couple of months so we can't ask her). If my assumption is correct we may end up with a kitten until my Mom can find a home for it. So my question is, do kittens need deworming the same as puppies do? Do they require any shots, it's not mandatory for cats where I live so I'm assuming, no? Is there anything else I need to know when bringing a kitten home? By the way, I have a dog which won't take to kindly to it.

Digital Paint Pet Portraits (http://sitekreator.com/waterart/petart.html)

pitc9
03-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Being that you have a dog that you already know "won't take too kindly to it" I don't think it would be a good idea at all to bring the kitten to your house. UNLESS you and everyone that lives in the house with you makes 100% sure that kitten is kept safe All of the time! Either the kitten needs to be shut in a room when the dog is loose in the house, or the dog needs to be shut in a room or put in a crate when the kitten is loose.
Yes, cats need all the same things puppies do. Shots, deworming, flea prevention...etc. and they need to be spayed or neutered when they are 6 months old.

You mom's friend need to get her cat spayed also.

catmandu
03-06-2008, 02:47 PM
The Problem Is That Ften A Dog, Particularly A Hunting Breed Will Mistake A Kitten For Prey And Hunt Her Down.
But There Are Many Dogs Who Will Make Friends With Kittens . So If You Are Cautious , And Make The Introductions Slowly Tou Should Be All Right.
We Pray Everything Goes Well.

Medusa
03-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Everything pitc9 said goes double for me, especially the part about keeping that dog away from the kitten. They're so fragile; one shake by that dog and it's done for. DO NOT deworm it on your own. It has to be a certain age. It needs to be seen by a vet and s/he'll tell you exactly what needs to be done and when.

emc
03-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the replies. Actually I'm more worried about the kitten hurting my dog, lol, she's a chihuahua. When should deworming start? At what age are kittens ready to go to new homes?

Digital Paint Pet Portraits (http://www.sitekreator.com/waterart)

Freedom
03-07-2008, 08:04 AM
Kittens should really stay with their mom and litter mates for 9 to 12 weeks. Even after they are weaned from mother's milk, they are learning important socialization skills in the litter.

Phone your vet for deworming info.

moosmom
03-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Why isn't your mom's friend's cat spayed??? If she were fixed, your Mom's friend wouldn't have the problem of finding homes for unwanted kittens.

kb2yjx
03-07-2008, 08:26 AM
I have to agree with all the above!!! The mother cat needs to be fixed(and should stay inside)and I do not think it is a good idea for the kitten to be with a dog, no matter how small, that does not like cats!!! A visit to the vet is the way to go to check the health of the kitten.

momcat
03-08-2008, 08:43 PM
As far as health issues for a baby kitten, you need to talk to a vet about what to do and when to do it. A vet check is mandatory here and make an appointment ASAP! I am concerned about bringing the kitten in with a dog that doesn't like cats. Both in your case are small but this is one of those times that size simply does not matter.

There are several folks here on Pet Talk that really know their stuff when it comes to anything cat. You can learn a lot here. With the possible exception of a good vet, this is your best source of advice. Please don't hesitate to post in if you have any questions or just want some advice. PT folks are great and they're always happy to help.

By the way, we want to see pictures of the baby...many pictures!!!!!