PDA

View Full Version : Sophia's poor little mouth....Update #25 with pic

Glacier
03-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Sophia could use some good vibes today. This morning she was washing her face. She's a bit obsessive about that! Everytime she pawed her mouth she let out a loud mew. She's a talker and always mewing about something, but this was distinctly different sound and clearly unpleasant for her! When I lifted her lip, her little gums are all red and swollen.

Sophia has already lost many of her teeth. She was found as a stray with a horrible gum infection. That was almost exactly a year ago. It's part of why she lives with me. When I met her, her little face was all swollen and she was miserable. I kinda flipped out on the shelter board about why they were letting an animal in their care suffer. I felt a bit obligated after that and brought her home. She's become my little snuggle buddy.

My vet clinic keeps a couple slots open for emergency appointments. Sophia is off to the clinic at 2:30 today.

kb2yjx
03-06-2008, 12:10 PM
POOR SOPHIA!!!!!!!! Our Raven(COTD 12/9/04) came to us with such bad teeth, two visits to the vet later, Raven had all her teeth removed. I hope that your dear Sophia will be feeling better after her teeth are taken care of. No fun for cats or humans to have problems with their teeth!!! SUPER vibes and prayers for dear Sophia!!!

Grace
03-06-2008, 12:28 PM
I was wondering this morning how the beautiful Sophia was doing. But I sure would have preferred happy news :(

Poor Sophia - prayers and good thoughts headed your way for a speedy resolution.

Cinder & Smoke
03-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Hi God ~

Have You got Your Kleen Skrubbies all ready ta wear?

Sophia could use some good vibes today.
Sophia is off to the clinic at 2:30 today.

We'z hopin You signed in onna "Assist" fur dis wun.
See iffin You anna White Coats kan get Mis Sophie all fixed up inna Toofie Department.

THANKS, God!

/s/ the Prayer Pups

Randi
03-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Oh poor Sophia, that must be painful. :( I hope the vet can give her something for it and she'll be painfree.

Sending positive throughts. Good luck, little girl!

Felicia's Mom
03-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Positive vibes being sent to Sophia. Hope she is feeling better soon.

slick
03-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Gentle healing prayers on the way for sweet Sophia.

catmandu
03-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Well Bo Bo And Joseph Have Lost Most Of Thier Teeth And They Are Doing So Much Better Now. They Can Eat What They Used To And Are Putting The Weight Back On.
Is Sopia Losing Weight And Does She Have Bad Breath, Then The Teeth May Have To Be Pulled.
We Are Praying That Things End Up Well For Dear Sophia.

Freedom
03-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Aw, Sophia, I sure hope the white coats can give you some immediate relief.

My vet clinic keeps a couple slots open for emergency appointments.
Oh Tamara, I thought this was going to read:
My vet clinic keeps a couple a slots open for me. :D

Medusa
03-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Oh goodness, that's not good. How is Sophia doing now? Better, I hope.

Glacier
03-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Oh Tamara, I thought this was going to read:
My vet clinic keeps a couple a slots open for me. :D

Well, I'm sure sometimes they do! The receptionist commented today that she recognizes my truck now so she had everything ready before I even got in the door!

Gary, Sophia has already had major dental problems. She has very few teeth left, especially in the back of her mouth. She hasn't lost any weight, but that's probably because she only eats soft food anyway. She very rarely eats kibble.

Sophia is going back in on Monday for a dental. She will likely loose the few teeth she has left. Jessica(her vet) is going to try and save her fangs. She doesn't have much inflammation in the front so they might be saveable. I suspect the rest of them are gone this time.

Sweet little Sophia, my mushpot kitty, turns into a spitting, clawing demon cat at the clininc. She got a manicure as she was trying to slash everyone. We had to get a tech to help hold her so Jessica could look in her mouth. I find it kinda funny that my two most affectionate cats, Sophia and Glacier, both act like wild cats at the vet, but my house feral, Polly Paws, suddenly wants to cuddle when she's at the clinic!

ramanth
03-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Good luck to Sophia with her dental visit. Poor thing.

Pawsitive Thinking
03-07-2008, 06:25 AM
Poor Sophia - let them help you to feel better sweetheart

catmandu
03-07-2008, 09:44 AM
We Are Sending Prayers For Sophia, Especially The Tooth Challenged Cats, Who Know What Poor Sofia Is Going Through.
We Hope That This Time Fixes Everything!!!

GILL
03-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Good luck Sophia, we also know what you are going through. My Patchs loss her teeth becouse of the diabeties and after about a year she could eat dry food, but her favoret was still water mellon.

kb2yjx
03-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Sophia, our Raven sends you good vibes and prayers that all will go well when you are at the vet for your dental. Be a good girl. If you lose all your teeth, you will be just fine. Raven has lived and eaten very nicely for about 7 years with all her teeth gone!!!

momcat
03-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Hi Sophia, I'm very sorry to hear that you have ouchies in your mouth. I hope your whitecoat was able to help you feel better and was able to make those nasty ouchies go away. Sending you feel better purrs and headbumpies!

Your friend,
Groucho

jennielynn1970
03-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Awe... poor Sophia! I was just wondering about her the other day. I remember your original posts before you adopted her, about a "hypothetical cat with little to no teeth", and wondered how she was doing.

Big smoochies to Sophia, and hope her mouth feels much better soon!

Glacier
03-09-2008, 11:58 PM
Awe... poor Sophia! I was just wondering about her the other day. I remember your original posts before you adopted her, about a "hypothetical cat with little to no teeth", and wondered how she was doing.

Big smoochies to Sophia, and hope her mouth feels much better soon!

She's still hypothetical! Since I am over the number of allowed cats here, she's a very noisy, bossy figment of my imagination! :p

Glacier
03-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Sophia is at the clinic and her vet just called. Her bloodwork shows incredibly high white blood cell counts. Rick thinks that's coming from the infection in her mouth, which he says is very bad. Silly cat never showed any signs til Thursday when she mewed every time she touched her face! He says it's still safe to knock her out and that it's only going to get worse if her teeth aren't fixed. She's gonna get some IV antibiotics before the surgery and come home with more pills. Rick expects she's going to loose all her teeth! Oh, well, she never liked kibble anyway. She's a canned food girl!

cassiesmom
03-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Sophia, I know some Found Kitties who can relate to dental work! I'm sorry to hear you have an infection and I hope you feel much better soon.

Cinder & Smoke
03-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Sophia is at the clinic and her vet just called ...

Doc Rick expects she's going to loose all her teeth!
Oh, well, she never liked kibble anyway. She's a canned food girl!

Look at the bright side, Sophia ...no need to *brush* every night! :p

Maybe Mom can stop at the store on the way home ~~~
Pick up some Baby Food in cat-approved flavours -
the *mushed-up* stuff designed for Toothless-2-Leggers.

FEEL BETTER Soon, Soph!

;)

jennielynn1970
03-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Awe.... poor thing! I hope the infection gets under control and she'll feel better soon. Gentle hugs and pets for sweet Sophia.

Catlady711
03-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Sophia is at the clinic and her vet just called. Her bloodwork shows incredibly high white blood cell counts. Rick thinks that's coming from the infection in her mouth, which he says is very bad. Silly cat never showed any signs til Thursday when she mewed every time she touched her face! He says it's still safe to knock her out and that it's only going to get worse if her teeth aren't fixed. She's gonna get some IV antibiotics before the surgery and come home with more pills. Rick expects she's going to loose all her teeth! Oh, well, she never liked kibble anyway. She's a canned food girl!

Cats are incredibly good at hiding problems from thier meowmies.

Mouth bacteria can get into the bloodstream and make a pet sick. Hopefully once they get the rest of the bad teeth out Sophia will feel much better. BTW some animals do manage to 'gum' moistened kibble, but since you said Sophia doesn't like it much anyways, I'm sure she wouldn't mind the canned. lol. I hope the teeth pulling goes well and Sophie comes home soon.

slick
03-10-2008, 08:04 PM
:D Phred, you always make me laph!!! Sorry to grin sweet Sophia. I sure hope that nasty infection scrams real quick so you can get back to being yourself again. Don't worry about having no toofies. You are bootiful as you are.

Glacier
03-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Sophia is back home. She's not quite toothless, but pretty close. She has no teeth on the right side of her mouth, only her incisors on the top and her fangs and a premolar or two on the bottom. Rick used a reversible sedative to knock her out so she's not groggy at all. Not groggy but not happy! She's been pumped full of IV antibiotics and painkillers. I have more of both for her starting tomorrow. Two weeks worth of Clamovox and five days of Metacam. Apparently the techs had a little free time today--Sophia had a little butterfly made out of vetwrap where her IV was!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Cats%2008/toothless.jpg
She's lounging in the office/spare bedroom with me. She's very quiet which is highly unusual for Sophia.

The bill was enormous! Even I was a little shocked and I'm pretty used to big vet bills! Hopefully this has solved the problem and I'll have my happy little purring furball back soon. That's worth every dime.

Catlady711
03-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Awww cute pix. Glad she's home and not groggy. :)

RedHedd
03-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Aww! she's so pretty! Feel better soon, little one

Cinder & Smoke
03-10-2008, 11:20 PM
Sophia is back home.

Not groggy but not happy!

Apparently the techs had a little free time today --
Sophia had a little butterfly made out of vetwrap where her IV was!

The bill was enormous!
Even I was a little shocked and I'm pretty used to big vet bills!

WELCOME HOME, Soph!!

Big Bill?
Did you *mention* that?
Between the Katz and the Dawgz ~ YOU must come close to keeping a Vet and a tech or two
in full time employment ... I wouldn't be afraid to question if they hadn't possibly
"overlooked" :( your MULTI-Patient Discount!
"Misplacing" the decimal is easy to do. :p

GLAD she's home and I good condition, even if NOT Happie.

:)

Glacier
03-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Big Bill?
Did you *mention* that?
Between the Katz and the Dawgz ~ YOU must come close to keeping a Vet and a tech or two
in full time employment ... I wouldn't be afraid to question if they hadn't possibly
"overlooked" :( your MULTI-Patient Discount!
"Misplacing" the decimal is easy to do. :p

Oh, I checked the bill. There are several items that are listed with a zero charge, a discount on all the blood work. It's still a monster bill! Thank goodness for Visa!

Catty1
03-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Tamara - if you have a PayPal account, a few of us here (well me, anyway) can take the edge off the bill a bit. Pirate and now the 'figment's' surgery ;) .

Don't need mom getting somewhat ill from Visa-itis!

Just say so if you want some 'input'.

Cinder & Smoke
03-10-2008, 11:50 PM
There are several items that are listed with a zero charge,
a discount on all the blood work.
It's still a monster bill!

Thank goodness for Visa!

Ya know ...

We've *offered* to *Help Out* - and repeat the offer now. ;)

Some of us would consider it a pay-back for all the Wonderful, Exciting, BEAUTIFUL,
and emotion-grabbing Tails and Pictures you publish here - almost non-stop.

We can't find Tails this good in a book store -
why shouldn't we *contribute* to their making?

Maybe I should see if Dr. Rick takes PayPal?
:)

{{{Hugs}}}

Glacier
03-11-2008, 01:11 AM
Thank you both. That's very generous, but not neccessary. Big bills are the big hazard of having this many critters around. I think I'm getting a tax refund this year, that'll pay down the Visa.

Phred, you just might find the tales in a bookstore someday. There is a book rattling around in my head and my hard drive!

I think I've been forgiven for torturing Sophia. She's wrapped around my shoulders purring right now! There's no scarf quite as nice as one that purrs!

Cinder & Smoke
03-11-2008, 01:53 AM
That's very generous, but not neccessary.
Big bills are the big hazard of having this many critters around.

Who said anything about being "neccessary"?
Donations are a hazard of of being an *apperciative audience*. ;)

Phred, you just might find The Tales in a bookstore someday.
There is a book rattling around in my head and my hard drive!

Can I buy my Advance Copy now?
Name your price!

:D

Taz_Zoee
03-11-2008, 09:36 AM
I'm glad to hear Sophia is on the road to recovery. :)

orangemm
03-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Feel better, sweet Sophia. Poor little girl, what an ordeal for you.

Gentle scritches to a pretty girl.

cassiesmom
03-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Donations are a hazard of of being an *apperciative audience*. ;)

Can I buy my Advance Copy now?
Name your price!

:D
Ditto on the appreciative audience... on the Advance Copy purchase... And on the PayPal offer too.
HUGS for beautiful Sophia and all her kitty and doggie siblings!

Husky_mom
03-11-2008, 02:06 PM
same here!!... add me to the list of not potential but DEFINITE buyers!!

and I´m on the same wagon as Phred and cassiesmom

Donations are a hazard of of being an *apperciative audience*.
And on the PayPal offer too.

jennielynn1970
03-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Awe.. I missed seeing that sweet little face!! She just tugs at my heart strings! I'm glad she is feeling better!! Gentle hugs and kisses to that sweet girl!

Glacier
03-14-2008, 12:08 PM
Sophia is doing awesome. She's back to purring and sleeping on my head. She's eating like a little piggy. The first day after the surgery, she ate two cans of a Fancy Feast type food (Finicky Cat brand)She isn't nicknamed the "fatty-catty" for no reason!

I have bought every kind of soft food I can find for her, from the top of the line brands to what is probably the equivalent of kitty junk food. She's enjoying them all and the other cats are loving cleaning up anything she leaves behind.

She is not so thrilled with taking her medications. Today was her last dose of painkiller so at least she'll only have to put up with me trying open her mouth twice a day now. She has 10 more days of antibiotics.

Medusa
03-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Yay! Mary and the Fur Posse are doing the Happy Feet Dance! Give sweet Sophia a belly rub for me.

kuhio98
03-14-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm sure glad to hear that Sophia is doing well with so few teeth. Cammie is at the vet right now. Lately she has had "Breath of Death". So, in for a dental cleaning. The vet just called and said she is going to lose 6 teeth! Up until yesterday, Cammie was eating crunchies like they were going out of style. But, she's always liked soft food too.

Hearing about Sophia gives me hope that Cammie will adapt as well.