PDA

View Full Version : My bird is itching and the vet says nothing is wrong Please help

megadoe
08-20-2002, 09:53 AM
I have a beautiful Indian ringneck and he is driving himself and me crazy with all this itching. he has no mites, but his underfeathers(if there is such a word) are all wadde into little balls. I would like to know what can ease his itching problems. please help if you can.:confused:

C.C.'s Mom
08-20-2002, 10:38 AM
Hi and welcome to Pettalk.

I don't know much about birds, but my aunt had a tiny parrot that was allergic to anything people use as cosmetics. He was also nervous and stressed. All that made him go itchy and in the end most of his feathers were gone (hence his name: E.T.).

I personally find it strange that your vet sends you home when there's obviously something wrong with the bird. Maybe you can go and see another vet?

megadoe
08-20-2002, 01:05 PM
hi and thanks for the welcome. C C's MOm

I do not use any kind of make up and we have had him for 2-1/2 years and this just started approx 3 weeks ago. Nothing has changed in the house but my baby is still itching. Thanks for your reply and I eel sorry for your aunties bird as I see what mine is going thru. the vet I took him to is a very respected vet and as we live in a small town, had to drive 150 miles to see her. So have a great day and thanks.:)

popcornbird
08-20-2002, 01:28 PM
Are you sure he is not preening himself? If he has increased the itching recently, sometimes birds scratch and even pull their feathers out because of boredom. If your vet says your bird is not sick and has no problem, then he's probably bored and finds nothing to do but that. It may help if you buy some new and interesting toys for him/her to play with. Sometimes that's all a scratching bird needs. She may want a mate if she's an only bird, so if you think that's what she wants, you may need to get another bird. I have two cockatiels for 3 years now, and I've never had an itching problem. Have you changed her environment, surroundings, or anything in the house lately? Sometimes this causes birds to get frustrated and pluck. She may also have a diet deficiency..................what do you feed her? Sometimes birds just develop this bad habit, but its important to make them stop before they make themselves bald. Disease also causes feather plucking, so make sure she is not ill in any way.............I know your vet said she isn't, but ask him/her for suggestions on what you can do to stop her. Do you bathe your bird? If not, maybe she needs a shower!

Here's a site that may help:
http://cockatiel.org/petquestions/index.html
Its about cockatiels but I think it applies to all birds. Click on feathers to get the information you need and please keep us updated on your little feathered friend!

megadoe
08-20-2002, 06:51 PM
Hi Popcorn Bird,
I cannot think of one new thing with him and actually he is digging and not pulling too many feathers out. As for toys, he doesn't have that much room leftfor all the junk in his cage and if you try to move one piee he goes ballastic. lol. One more thing I forgot to mention, is he/she is tearing up papers and stuffing them down through the bottom of his case, does this mean he is making a nest?? thanks for y'all's help and have a good evening.:D

popcornbird
08-20-2002, 10:22 PM
If he's not PULLING out his feathers, I think he's probably just preening, which is totally normal. It does seem like he wants to make a nest. I have a feeling he wants to have a mate and start a family........................or maybe just have a mate for company. Do you think you could get him another bird to play with? Maybe he's bored and that's what he needs. :confused:

lovemymaltese
08-27-2002, 02:37 PM
Is he pulling out his feathers?

megadoe
08-27-2002, 04:58 PM
Hi lovely,
No, he is not pulling out his feathers and the itching stopped as suddenly as it started. I put him under the sprayer in the sink , wet him down and scrubbed him in palmolive dishwashing liquid. I have had no further itching from him since then. but thank t you to all who answered, I appreciate your time and your concern.:)

popcornbird
08-28-2002, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by megadoe
Hi lovely,
No, he is not pulling out his feathers and the itching stopped as suddenly as it started. I put him under the sprayer in the sink , wet him down and scrubbed him in palmolive dishwashing liquid. I have had no further itching from him since then. but thank t you to all who answered, I appreciate your time and your concern.:)

I'm glad your bird is better. I don't know if it was a good idea to bathe him with palmolive dishwashing liquid! I have no idea if its good for their feathers, and I hope it didn't go in his mouth! I usually bathe my birds with water only, but occasionally, I use baby shampoo when they look dirty. It is very light and I am very careful not to get it on their head. I only use a very small amount. Its best to use Bird bath spray, that you can buy at Petsmart or Petco. http://www.petsmart.com/products/product_13762.shtml Its much safer and its good for their feathers. I hope you won't try using dishwashing soap again! (He must be smelling awefully good now! ) LOL! Be careful with your bird!