PDA

View Full Version : Gave "the boys" a laugh at the gas station today! :D

Pam
03-06-2008, 08:00 AM
I am going to my daughter's today and they only have self-serve gas stations so I always *gas up* here in NJ because I don't know how to pump my own gas. :o I told hubby I would be right back and then leave from here after getting my gas.

Well I pulled up to the pump and was expecting the guy to ask "Cash?" which is what they always ask first. I guess they need to set the pumps differently for a credit card sale (?) Anyway, with that in mind, I said "fill it with cash." :D LOL! He started laughing and so I told him if he wanted to fill it with cash that really would be OK with me. :p Of course I was sitting there beet red while my tank is filling and then I heard him telling my story to another attendant at the other pump and he started laughing too. I am glad I added a little humor to their day! :D

RobiLee
03-06-2008, 08:09 AM
Ohh, that is funny! Thanks for giving me a laugh also :p .

I don't know of any full service gas stations here in Ohio. I haven't seen one in ages. As a matter of fact when Alden and I traveled to the north east states I think we were in Vermont and we pulled into a gas station and were shocked when the guy came out to fill up our tank. At first he kind of scared me because I didn't know why he was headed for our car or what he wanted. He just wanted to pump our gas....lol.

pitc9
03-06-2008, 08:37 AM
Oh Pam... you sure gave me a good laugh this morning!!!
:D

I only know of one full service gas station around here and you have to buy a $17.00 car wash to GET full service!! I hope you don't plan on traveling to Ohio anytime soon!

lizbud
03-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Fill it with cash sounds good to me Pam. :D Nice try. :p

Hey, pumping your own gas isn't hard. The hardest part is unscrewing the
gas cap & also getting in back on tight enough. :)

IRescue452
03-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Haha. If I was ever at a full-service gas station and didn't know it, they'd have a heck of a time getting me to even wind my windows down. In fact, I'd probably hit the door locks and drive away if I saw somebody coming toward my car. We don't have anything of the sort here. We even have credit card stations that don't come with a building or supervision of any sort.

Edwina's Secretary
03-06-2008, 09:57 AM
I would probably have made the same mistake since I have NEVER had someone else pump my gas. When I was a teenager we lived on a former farm and had a gas tank on the property so I learned to pump my own gas from the beginning. ( I would try and get my father to do it for me...."if you want to drive the car you do the pumping...." same thing my husband says!)

Having someone pump my gas would be a GREAT luxury!

Randi
03-06-2008, 10:12 AM
He he, they sure got a good laugh. :D John and I gave some guy in Spain a good laugh too, one time... we had hired a car, and drivíng happely south, we came to a toll road where you pay to get on (or off). Going past the booth? we stopped to pay the man, but just couldn't find where to open the windows, so John had to open the door. :D

It turned out that they opened by pushing a botton in the middle by the gear.

Cinder & Smoke
03-06-2008, 10:26 AM
The hardest part is unscrewing the gas cap & also getting in back on tight enough. :)

No, the hardest part is after removing the gas cap and "storing it" in the little holder
thingy built onto the gas door on the car ...
And ya *bump* it - then watch as said gas cap >FALLS< on the ground and
:eek: >ROLLS< UNDER the car! :eek: :mad:

Now down on hands & knees - you finally spot the darn thing - under the exact geographic CENTER
of the car - in a slush puddle ... and refusing to *COME* as called! :mad:
Now desperate ... you discover the longest-handled windshield squeegie at the pump
is 3" too short to snag the cap ... You'll have to Move da Bus to effect the recovery ...

You hop in, start 'er up, and pull forward ... scaring the krap out of the guy in front of you,
and angering the guy behind - who can't yet get to the pump he thinks you're leaving.
ANNNND, the Attendant Inside is **HOLLERING** over the intercom, for the WHOLE WORLD to hear,
some rehersed ramble about
It's a Felony to leave without paying - we have you on video - I'm calling the Cops ... GOD will GET You!

KNOCK IT OFF!! ~ I'm just picking up my !#$%&*!*&$ GAS CAP!
I WILL be in to pay!

Why don't they tie a LEASH onto those darn Gas Caps?
:confused:

Barbara
03-06-2008, 10:57 AM
I am very glad that it is not only me stupid tourist having problems with US self-service gas stations.
I can do it here however.
And at gas stations these days the cash definitely flows in the wrong direction ;)

ramanth
03-06-2008, 11:27 AM
LOL! I've always pumped my own gas, even when we did have a few Full Service stations in MI.

I was visiting friends in NJ and pulled into a station and started to pump my own gas. I was very surprised when the attendant came running out and yelling at me. He kinda forgave me when he saw my plates.

Karen
03-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Hee hee. Pam, it is not that they have to set the pumps differently for cash than credit. It is that, if you are paying cash, they will take the extra second to put in a smidge more gas to get it up to an even dollar amount, or a half dollar, for your convenience and theirs. Whereas, if you are paying by credit card, and it stops on 23.87, it's okay - they don't have to dig 13 cents change out, it's on the credit card!

Taz_Zoee
03-06-2008, 01:20 PM
LOL That's great!!
Yeah, full service gas pumps are no longer in existence here in California. I do remember when they were though. I was very young.

Phred - my gas cap does have a "leash". But it will eventually break and I'll probably be doing exactly as you just described. LOL :D

RICHARD
03-06-2008, 02:40 PM
I heard a great story about how station attendants know if people are from Cah Lee Fuh Nee ah....

Us Californians pay BEFORE we pump our gas. :rolleyes:

gini
03-06-2008, 03:38 PM
I heard a great story about how station attendants know if people are from Cah Lee Fuh Nee ah....

Us Californians pay BEFORE we pump our gas. :rolleyes:

Richard, I was going to say the same thing. I was dumbfounded when I was back East and you pump your gas AND THEN PAY.

I would hate to think what would happen here in CAH LEE FUH NEE AH
if you could do that.

Rachel
03-06-2008, 04:45 PM
You gave us all a few smiles this morning. Good thing you didn't have one hand in your purse and the attendant didn't take it as a stick up attempt. Had Phred been in the car with you....you obviously would have been suspect.... :p

Medusa
03-06-2008, 05:27 PM
I don't know of any full service gas stations here in Ohio. I haven't seen one in ages.

There was one in Canton and, once when I was driving on fumes, I pulled in, thinking that I had a choice of self serve or full service but it was strictly full service and they charge $.50 more per gallon! Fumes or no, I left and prayed my way to the next station. Now, these are the people who filling up w/cash! :p

Pam
03-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Hee hee. Pam, it is not that they have to set the pumps differently for cash than credit. It is that, if you are paying cash, they will take the extra second to put in a smidge more gas to get it up to an even dollar amount, or a half dollar, for your convenience and theirs. Whereas, if you are paying by credit card, and it stops on 23.87, it's okay - they don't have to dig 13 cents change out, it's on the credit card!

:o Silly me!

At first he kind of scared me because I didn't know why he was headed for our car or what he wanted. He just wanted to pump our gas....lol.

In fact, I'd probably hit the door locks and drive away if I saw somebody coming toward my car.

:D :D Robin and Rescue452 you have me laughing!! I guess that would be a bit of a surprise and maybe even a little scary! :D

Good thing you didn't have one hand in your purse and the attendant didn't take it as a stick up attempt.

You know Rachel I never thought of that. I guess I looked too dumb to be pulling off a robbery! :p :D

There was one in Canton and, once when I was driving on fumes, I pulled in, thinking that I had a choice of self serve or full service but it was strictly full service and they charge $.50 more per gallon! Fumes or no, I left and prayed my way to the next station. Now, these are the people who filling up w/cash! :p

Actually I was able to get Regular for $2.99 this morning. Traveling to my daughter's in Maryland and Delaware I saw regular as high as $3.13 and you have to pump your own in those states. I guess this is the one plus of living in New Jersey! :p

DJFyrewolf36
03-06-2008, 08:25 PM
LOL! Here I guess it is illigal to pump your own gas. In Nevada, there are no full service stations so it took some getting used to. Watching the attendants around here fiddle with my picky gas door is amusing though ;)

K9karen
03-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Pamela...I'm NEVER going to let you live this down, ya know. :p :p :D :D

kitten645
03-07-2008, 01:14 AM
Oh this made me ROFLMAO! I've NEVER had anyone else pump gas for me. Reminds me of my first "spin" in my dads Olds. Had to sit on a phone book to see over the dash of that monstrosity! First time I had to pump gas (on EMPTY of course) Me and my two younger sisters (I was 18, Gab was 16 and Jackie was 14) Got out of the car without a clue of what to do. We looked high and low! Turns out the tank was behind the license plate !!!!!!! I put the nozzle in and the car wasn't in park and started to lurch forward!! LOL Thankfully we were on a flat space and the attendant jumped in and put it in park. LOL. Goodness our guardian angels did time and a half then. LOL
Claudia

Pam
03-07-2008, 05:48 AM
Do I dare share another story now that I have embarrassed myself already? :) Years ago at the same gas station but with a different car and a different attendant I once again rolled in. I went to grab the release for the little door to the gas cap and instead grabbed the trunk release. I was mortified to see out the back window that my trunk lid was up! :eek: This time I was already laughing and :o as the attendant walked up to my car. He was very nice and said that people do that all the time. Maybe he was just being polite since he saw that I felt like an idiot. :) When I got to my daughter's yesterday I said "wait til I tell you what happened at the gas station this morning." Her reply......"did you open the trunk release again?" :D :rolleyes: :o :p

Rachel
03-07-2008, 06:24 AM
LOL. Oh, Pam, that would be me.

Taz_Zoee
03-07-2008, 07:19 AM
I hit my trunk release ALL the time and don't realize it until I'm all the way around the car, because my trunk doesn't pop up. Then have to walk all the way back. Or I go to open the door to the gas area and it slips out of my hand and slams shut so I have to walk all the way around to hit the release again.

IRescue452
03-07-2008, 10:53 PM
I have to open my trunk to release the fuel door. Its an old buick electra and the fuel release button in the dashboard doesn't work, and there is no way I'm taking apart a car that big to rewire something like that. Well, maybe in the summer, maybe. I don't know how I'd explain that to the attendants.