PDA

View Full Version : Puddy Orphaned Cat - Can you Help???

Eric
08-20-2002, 09:29 AM
We came here a couple of weeks ago hoping for help in finding furrever homes for Freddy and Puddy…two sweet cats whose owner had died leaving no one to care for them. We had so many wonderful responses…sincere words of support and comfort, yet hopes for adoption did not pan out.

Freddy was taken ill and following major surgery, he crossed over Rainbow Bridge cuddled in a blanket of our prayers, love and tears. But at the house where they lived, Puddy was alone. Not knowing where Freddy went…not knowing if anyone loves her. And today, Puddy is still alone.

She is just one sweet girl. She is four years old…a great age for adoption. Because she and Freddy lived with an elderly gentleman and saw few people, Puddy is extremely shy and will need a home with a little quiet and a great deal of patience and love.

Puddy’s web page with her photo and more of her story is http://www.cathappy.com/Rescue1.htm

If you are a person who can love and understand this quiet, lonely girl, or if you know someone who is willing to give her the right kind of loving home, please let her Rescue contact, Eric Schickendantz, know. His email is on Puddy’s web page.

If you can’t help Puddy directly, please share her web page with everyone you know…we really need to find this precious one a furrever home! Thanks everyone…

Eric and Puddy ~
Bari DuBois ~

moosmom
08-20-2002, 11:30 AM
Eric,

I'd be willing to take Puddy once I get to Michigan, if you can wait a little while, so I can get settled. She'll have plenty of room to hide till she gets used to her surroundings. Do you think she'd do well with my 6 cats? My house is very quiet. I don't have wild parties or alot of company, although the company part may change once I move.

I any event, the offer still stands. As long the transportation arrangements can be worked out, Puddy has a forever home with me and my brood.

sammi
08-20-2002, 02:06 PM
That would be great I'm sure if you could adopt Puddy!!!!!!!! And other cats in the house might make her feel less lonesome for her buddy Freddy. I hope it works out.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-20-2002, 03:27 PM
Eric, so sorry to hear about one of your own babies being sick. And a Maine Coone to boot. Poor thing. Hope it's not serious and he/she is ok. I've also got a 14 year old part Maine Coone - Peanut - and I know I would be absolutely devasted if she got sick, and with everything you've gone through with Freddy, you sure don't need this heartache too. Please let us know how he/she is doing, and we'll send out extra prayers tonight.

Karen
08-20-2002, 04:00 PM
If she were closer, there's an older woman I might be able to talk into taking her, but I'm afraid she wouldn't want the fuss and bother it would take to get Puddy here. She is also very old - 90-something - and worries about leaving a pet in the situation Freddy and Puddy ended up in.

Randi
08-20-2002, 04:08 PM
I do hope you'll find a very good, forever home home for Puddy. She's a real beauty and looking SO sweet! I'd love to take her, but I'm a bit too far away. She would have gotten on well with our Fister, 6 years (he looks so much like Freddy)

I'm sure if you put up some pictures of her in the neighborhood, people won't be able to resist her! - but make sure they love cats!

All the best of luck! :)

Eric
08-20-2002, 04:50 PM
I spoke with Donna today ~ and she is an Angel for giving us this back up for Puddy ~ If nothing works out here in Ohio ~than I am off to Michigan with Puddy in the middle of September.
Thank you Peanut's mom ~My little Coon Cat Sheba is going in for more elaborate test on Thursday morning ~ the special diet is not working, and she is doing poorly. She was a blessing for my Mother {who was blind} when she was alive. This little baby has never been sick a day of her 14 years. she has stopped grooming herself and has lost weight.
Mary's Gray tabby "Specs" {stray} is now neutered and had a bad infection in a torn paw ~ But now is doing well. With the loss of Freddy, we needed a "win" here in Akron. Mary has him in the house for now ~ but this little boy sprays and we just can't keep him inside for long.
A huge gray cat has been coming to my yard for food and by the looks of him ~ I have an old TOM. I named him "Seth" and It looks like I will have a new project very soon. Thanks to all again for following this new post ~ Blessings ~ Eric

lynnestankard
08-21-2002, 08:44 AM
only wish i could help eric - puddy sounds a wonderful cat and so deserves a new forever home. i'll keep everything crossed here that she gets her home.
fingers already crossed for sheba - please keep us upto date on her progress.

good luck
lynne

Bari_d
08-21-2002, 10:05 AM
I circulated an email around the world yesterday with Puddy's story and web page... http://www.cathappy.com/Rescue1.htm

It is still possible that there is someone who really "needs" a loving furrbaby, so we'll see what turns up.

Donna, you are a special purrrrson...it is for sure that if you do add Puddy to your pride she will have lots of love! Good luck on your move, and pet your babies for us!

Bari et al

Former User
08-21-2002, 11:36 AM
I've been following this and the other thread about these 2 cats, and am so sad that Freddy didn't make it.

I hope you don't mind Eric, that I posted the link abut Puddy to another forum I visit, here's the link to it (http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10495)
I hope Puddy will find a forever home soon!

Eric
08-21-2002, 07:05 PM
Thank you so much Casper & Kitty ~ Great to have your help :D

lynnestankard
08-22-2002, 05:59 AM
eric - i've sent the details to my daughter - she lives and work chicago. i know she'll send it on to other cat lovers.
fingers still crossed.
how is sheba doing - any more news on her condition?

lynne

Eric
08-22-2002, 07:40 AM
Thanks for asking ~Sheba goes in at 9 AM ~ Wish us luck ~ Eric

Eric
08-22-2002, 11:41 AM
Well the good news is, Puddy is becoming less shy. Without Freddy now Puddy is wanting more attention, and hiding less each day. she is doing great.

My bad news is awful. My little Maine Cat "Sheba" has two tumors in her little chest. The Vet gives her chances at zero. She is dying. This was the Kitty I got, 14 years ago, as a companion for my 89 year old Mother.
I brought Sheba back home ~ to be with her one last day. I have gone thru this many times before, but this little girl is especially hard to part with. She will be with my Mother soon, and Freddy. It makes me feel better to believe this. I thank all of you AGAIN for your prayers and kind Emails. I just hate taking another turn so soon ~~ Eric :(

moosmom
08-22-2002, 11:56 AM
Eric,

I am so sorry to hear about Sheba. You've been through the ringer these past couple of months with everything going on. You and Sheba are in my thoughts a prayers. I hope that Sheba doesn't suffer.

Give Puddy a kiss for me (and for you and Sheba). Tell her I'll be there soon.

((((hugs))))

lynnestankard
08-22-2002, 01:09 PM
oh eric - i'm so sorry to hear the bad news of sheba! poor furgirl. my heart goes out to you and her.
at least she'll be with you and know no fear.
your mum and freddy will be waiting for her. xx

i'm pleased puddy is beginning to settle in more - good sign eh?

your in my thoughts eric.

lynne

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-22-2002, 03:04 PM
Oh, Eric. I'm so, so sorry to hear the bad news about Sheba. http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/cry.gif

At least she will have one last love filled day before she goes to the RB. And I'm sure she will have lots of fun there with Freddy, Sydney and all the others. Hopefully after this things will turn around and you'll have some good news. You sure do need it after these last few weeks.

We'll be thinking about you and Sheba tonight and especially tomorrow. http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/cry.gif

Former User
08-23-2002, 08:27 AM
Oh, this is so incredibly sad, I am so so sorry Eric, poor Sheba girl :(

Eric
08-23-2002, 12:50 PM
We have gotten some promising Emails for Puddy. I wish they were in Ohio ~ But at least there is hope for her today. There is another great site that "Kitty & Casper from Belgium posted for Puddy. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10495 I am so thankful for all this help.

As for my little Sheba ~~ She had a good night and got special fresh Chicken liver dinner {not caned} and ate well. She is weak, but I just can't bring myself to take her in today... When I called the Vet ~ She is a wonderful, loving, caring, young Vet at the Sharon Center Vet. hospital in Copley Ohio, Dr. Kelly Burt ~~~~ I just wanted more time with Sheba, but was worried that she was suffering. She told me to keep her at home this weekend and I could bring her in Monday at 3pm ~ I have had her 14 years and just wanted more time to say goodbye. I feel a little guilty ~but the vet said she is more weak than in pain at this point. You always hope you are doing the right thing ~ this is my hope now ~~ Blessings to all of you wonderful people for you kindness. It has been a very hard month in my life for allot of reasons ~and all this love you are sending is a blessing for me ~~ Thank You again Eric

Logan
08-23-2002, 02:12 PM
Eric, this sounds shallow, based on all you have dealt with for the last month. Please, just know that our thoughts and prayers are with you while you deal with this latest tragedy. Sheba has lived a wonderful life with you, 14 years!! My Mimi is 13, and I dread the day that I lose her, but we know that we have provided them with love, shelter, and comfort, and have done all that we could to keep them happy. That's a lot, and her life has been enriched because of you.

Love on her a lot and try to enjoy your weekend with her. And you and Sheba will be in our prayers on Monday, and throughout the weekend.

Prayer and thoughts for Puddy too.

Logan

czicat
08-23-2002, 02:20 PM
Sheba is a fortunate girl to have you for a people daddy. the love she has had throughout her life--from Mum and you--hers has been a well-loved life. You are a good person to care so much for that tiny, giant, life. i hope your weekend together is full of peace and calm and quiet. and when monday comes, Sheba will tell you what is best for her. kiss Sheba for me. both of you are close in my heart.

when the time comes, any chance the doctor could make a house call?

my love to Sheba..... peace to you, Eric..... may we meet the end of our lives with the dignity and peace animals do.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-23-2002, 03:23 PM
Eric, I don't blame you at all for wanting a little more time. As long as she's not in pain I see no reason to take her in right away. Like Czicat says, Sheba will let you know.

On top of all the hugs and snuggles you will be giving her this weekend, giver her a few from me too. :) :(

Abbie
08-23-2002, 05:34 PM
Oh Eric, I am so sorry that you're having to deal with losing Sheba so soon after Freddy went off to the Rainbow Bridge. Just isn't fair. Doubly hard for you since Sheba was your mother's cat. I hope you and Sheba have some quality time together this weekend. Perhaps you will get very lucky -- luck I've never had to date -- and Sheba will die in her sleep.
Thoughts and prayers are with you.

on a happy note it is great to hear that Puddy is getting over her shyness. Is she with you, someone else, or still alone in the house?
:(

Eric
08-25-2002, 09:17 AM
Puddy is Great ~ Each day she is less shy. I think she misses Freddy her little pal. Without poor Freddy she only has humans to turn to, so she is wanting attention more and more. This sure will help her adapt to a new home. We have a great offer from a very sweet couple in Iowa ~~ They have two cats now ~ one of there sweet Babies is blind. and they want a quite new cat for a companion. I wish I knew how to post a picture of there two snuggled up together. ~ This one is hard because Iowa is a long way from Ohio ~~

My little green eyed Sheba is stronger today ~ she is in the window laying in the sun. This is such a hard call to make. Part of me wants to just let her stay at home til the end. But I worry so much about "quality" of life. I just wish she could talk and tell me how much pain she is in. For a Maine Coon to weigh only 4.7 pounds ~ she has lost so much from these tumors. Yesterday she had trouble standing ~ but today she slowly walks through the house. Your mind tells you one thing and your Heart tells you another. I have never been a indecisive man before. This sucks!!!!!!!!!!

My big Gray feral Tom Cat "Seth" is missing from my yard and I am hopeful he has not been trapped by the City of Akron. I am going to there KILL shelter today to see if I can find him. We just can't stop Akron's madness with this new Law.

http://www.saveourcats.org/ I work with Friends of Pets here in Akron ~and by myself and my girlfriend Mary.

Bari_d
08-25-2002, 09:45 AM
Eric, thanks for sharing the photos of Ariel and Topaz - the beautiful kitties belonging to the couple in Iowa who want to adopt Puddy. I will try to post the photo...

http://www.cathappy.com/images/Temp%20photos/Ariel%20and%20Topaz1.jpg

Oh, and Eric, about Sheba...she will tell you when to "let her go!" She seems to be enjoying you and her home right now...let her be your guide.

And, I'd like to take a moment again to thank all you Cat of the Day friends who have circulated Puddy's story...we've had replies from around the world, and I feel now Puddy has a real chance for happiness because of you. Eric, my friend, your heart is just the best...your love for these babies is a blessing to us all.

Puddy's web page: http://www.cathappy.com/Rescue1.htm

Bari et al

czicat
08-25-2002, 03:16 PM
Eric, i can drive Puddy to IA if need be.

Hopefully, Sheba's tumors are the kind that one just sleeps away with. although, with tumor in her chest, she could develop breathing difficulty. i think, though, before that happens, she will go off her food completely and you will see she is telling you she is ready.

i would be like you--hold out 'til that unmistakeable something happens, when you know that Sheba wants to go. for now, she seems to be comfortable enough and enjoying her time in the sun. let her bask in her time with you, and if she passes in her sleep, so much the better. i'm a great believer in dying at home, surrounded by comfort only home can offer. Animals do not see death the same way we do--they are not afraid of it, and have an uncanny sense of their time.

i am praying that Seth returns unharmed. akron has opened an ugly gash on Ohio's map. how can a few benighted "people" ever believe that destroying life is any kind of answer? we jail people for treating animals the way akron does, yet that city does it with consent of the law. is our society confused or what???!!!

catherine

Bari_d
08-25-2002, 03:34 PM
And amen to your thoughts on people and about sweet Sheba.

Love is a wonderful thing...animals (not just people) thrive on it!

God bless...

Bari and the Pride

Eric
08-26-2002, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the offer Catherine ~ I need to see Irene the Aunt and run this Idea by her. I would love to have you come along ~we could both go. Puddy is doing great ~ thank god. I have been getting Email each day for her.

"Seth was not at the shelter" ~~ But showed up last night looking for his food ~~~ YESSSSSS I was never so happy to see a stray cat in my life. He got special canned salmon ~ sat licking his chops ~~~ I have to trap him this week and get him fixed.

Sheba is having trouble breathing today ~ This cancer works so fast I can't believe It. just two weeks ago she was a different cat. She has not come down for food at all today. I have had her 14 years ~ I feel selfish trying to keep her here with me any longer. One minute I think she is better then the next minute she is worse. Why do I think "I will wake up in the morning and she will be well" I know better in my heart. I just can't let go ~~~~ I just prayed she would go in her sleep.

sasvermont
08-26-2002, 09:33 AM
Eric, what a dreadful decision you must make.

In the past, what I have done with three of my cats was to schedule a day that worked for me, later in the week that I found out about the dire situation each cat was in and also at the advice of my vet, for the final day.

I would celebrate each day before the final day, with the kitty. Giving it my undivided attentions, lots of love, love, love along with tears galore! Dinners were special - and then I said goodbye with the help of the Vet. I held each one as they fell off to sleep. What a lovely way to go.

What my guideline was, was that I did not want to see my pet in any discomfort for my sake. It wasn't as though any of them were going to live much longer. I didn't want to keep them around for me....it was all about them and their comfort.

I am crying as I type this, so the pain of the event never goes away. It is very real and very humane. Bless all of their furry little hearts. Pets are such comforts and I usually try to return the favor.

Love to all those going through this.

Abbie
08-26-2002, 10:55 AM
Eric, My method has been pretty much like SASVERMONT. As several have said, animals don't see death as we do, and are not afraid. When we had Teddy euthanized in mid-July my husband really fought me on it. Finally I said, "Teddy does not have to make piece with God or anyone else. He is ready and in pain. We will be with him to the end, and what more can we do?" I was ever so grateful for the 15 years he shared with us, and could not bear to see him in pain. My heart goes out to you. You will know WHEN.

Sounds like Puddy will be fine and will have a new home, and that is just wonderful. What a wonderful and caring man you are nice man you are! :D

Eric
08-26-2002, 06:32 PM
A cold day last January I looked out my window and saw a little yellow Kitten eating birdseed in my yard ~He was starving & cold ~ I could hardly believe my eyes ~~ It took me 3 days to trap him ~ He was near death with mange ~ ringworm ~ parasites ~Infections ~ etc etc. His poor little nose was raw an open sore ~~ I sat with him a week before he let me hold him. This photo was the first day he ever felt human touch. The vet told me he would have been dead in a few days ~ We saved that one !!! he now has a nice home and is a happy cat. We named him Sunshine. {Sunny} ~~

I didn't win today ~ Sheba went to Rainbow Bridge at 3 PM :( :(
~~~And poor Freddy is gone also.:(
BUT we will win again tomorrow ~There are many more Sunnys & Freddys that need us ~ I love you all for caring ~God bless you all :) ~~~ Eric Schickendantz

Bari will post photo of Sheba & Sunny below

Bari_d
08-26-2002, 06:40 PM
Eric and little Sunny...

http://www.cathappy.com/images/Temp%20photos/Eric%20Sunnyb.jpg

Eric's precious Sheba girl...

http://www.cathappy.com/images/Temp%20photos/Eric%20Shebab.jpg

Eric, thanks for all that you do. Sunny, Sheba, Freddy, Puddy and many, many more love your for it...God bless you, my friend!

Bari et al

sasvermont
08-26-2002, 07:52 PM
Eric, I am so sorry to hear that your dear friend Sheba left this earth today. I know how much you must hurt right now.

She is resting in peace now. Bless her sweet soul.

czicat
08-26-2002, 10:38 PM
i am glad i got to meet you, Sheba, sweet pea...

flights of angels sing thee to thy rest...

vaya con Dios, mi nina...

a very sad catherine

Logan
08-26-2002, 10:52 PM
Sheba was a beautiful girl, Eric, and I can completely understand what a wonderful companion she was to you. Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you tonight. Rest in peace, precious, Sheba. You knew real love, the way a beautiful girl should.

Logan

AmberLee
08-27-2002, 12:09 AM
Sheba, as you frolick joyously at the Rainbow Bridge, know that you have enriched the life of many of us here at Pet Talk especially Eric.

Former User
08-27-2002, 02:16 AM
I am so sorry Eric :( , this is very sad. At least Sheba is painfree now, and she's playing with Freddy at the Rainbow Bridge. I'm glad she has awonderful life with you, THANK YOU for caring for her, and the countless numbers of other cats. You truly ARE an Angel!

Randi
08-27-2002, 08:12 AM
Dear Eric! I'm so sad to hear you had to say goodbye to beautiful Sheba today! :( You knew this was coming, but still, it's so very hard! She looks so sweet and comfortable on the photo! I'm glad that she had you as a human dad and I'm sure she felt your love until the end!

Sweet Sheba, rest in peace! :) - and wake up at the sunny RB when you're ready to play and have fun with the other furkids.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-27-2002, 10:02 AM
Oh Eric, I'm so, so sorry to hear about little Sheba. http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/cry.gif

Then I see her picture and I feel even worse. She looks just like my little Peanut who is also 14 years old.

You did what was right, and Sheba is now at the RB frolicking with Freddy and all the others, and she is not in pain and can breathe easily.

You do so much for so many, that it's sad that we couldn't help you and Sheba, but she is better off now. And it sounds like you have a new project on your hands Seth, so hopefully he will help to ease the pain of losing Sheba.

So good to hear that Puddy has a future forever home.

Take care.

RIP, little Sheba. http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/cry.gif

moosmom
08-27-2002, 11:44 AM
Eric,

I just read about Sheba. I am so sorry. She was a beautiful cat and you did the right thing bringing her home and spending time with her. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you, but I don't. I am speechless. Just know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers. Please call me at work when you have a chance. I'll be here until Friday then I'm offline until I reach my destination.

You have your memories of both Sheba and Sunny, something that no one can take away from you. You are a wonderful, kind man with a heart of 24K gold. Even though we've only met through this wonderful site, I feel like I've known you my whole life. If there is any thing I can do for you, please let me know.

Hang in there buddy. And my offer still stands on Puddy. ;)

{{{{{hugs}}}}}

wolflady
08-27-2002, 12:01 PM
{{{Eric}}}

Wow, so much happens when I'm away!! I'm sorry I wasn't here to welcome you to PT Eric, but you are an absolute darling and a wonderful addition to our pet loving community. Reading through all of these threads really touched me. I'm am deeply sorry for the loss of your gorgeous Sheba, but she is smiling down on you from the Rainbow bridge, as is Freddy and all the 'kids' of Pet Talk who have gone on to the Rainbow Bridge as well. Take comfort in the joys you had together and keep close to your heart the wonderful memories of your precious kitties. No doubt your life will be fulled with more Sunnys and Freddys in need of love and the joy they can bring to the people who adopt them. May they bring Sunshine into your life and heart:)

Bless your heart for being such a wonderful person. You are in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

**hugs**
Karen

Bari_d
08-27-2002, 05:50 PM
I certainly want to wish you and your furrbabies (and MooShoo too - LOL) a safe trip to your new home. You have been an invaluable help to Eric and all of us who have tried to help Freddy and Puddy... You are an extremely special, giving person. It has been such a pleasure "meeting" you here on PT...thank you for all you've done and all I know you will do going forward in the name of homeless and needy furrbabies.

God bless you Donna...the best to you and your sweet family! We'll all look forward to hearing you are all there safe and sound. I hope I have an opportunity to help you someday!

"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded"- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bari and the Pride

moosmom
08-27-2002, 06:02 PM
Thanks, Bari. I am so pleased to have this site. There are so many wonderful people here.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Although I'm not looking forward to the drive, I AM looking forward to my new place, family, awesome friends that I have met here, and last, but certainly NOT least, a new furbaby :rolleyes: from Ohio.

I will be offline effective Friday evening. I will try to access a computer once I get to Michigan to let you know I'm there and safe (my computer is going on the truck with the movers - lookout internet withdrawal!!)

lynnestankard
08-28-2002, 05:50 AM
eric - i'm so sorry you said your final goodbye to dear gorgeous sheba. you must be hurting so much - my heart goes out to you, together with {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}.
let the knowledge that she's at peace now at RB with all our furkids, help you through the coming time of grief. The tears that fall for her won't be just yours - i know lots of us here will be having a quiet cry to mourn the passing of such a loved furlady.
your such a caring, loving man eric - may your god keep you safe.

love
lynne xxx

Eric
08-28-2002, 09:57 AM
I am very touched at the Emails and Posts for Sheba. Thanks to all of you from us in Ohio.
I am going to see Puddy today, and speak with Irene on Puddy's Adoption out of state ~
Donna Blessings and safe travels to Michigan. Love to you.
And my love to all of you who care so much ~ as my friend Lynn would say " Blessed are the Purr in Heart":)

Former User
08-28-2002, 10:02 AM
Good luck with Puddy's adoption, I hope it will work out! :)

Eric
08-31-2002, 07:56 AM
Sorry to all I have not been posting ~ My new shop opens on September 1st and I have been very busy.

Puddy's home sold Thursday. Irene {the 85 years Aunt} is having seconds thoughts about having Puddy go to Michigan or Iowa. She wants a home in Ohio for her. When it came down to the wire she is getting cold feet. She has becoming very attached to Puddy and I think lonesome herself. I am not happy after all the work we have done to find Puddy a home. BOTH Iowa and Michigan are GREAT forever homes and either one would be wonderful for Puddy. I think Irene is going through allot and I have to be understanding of her thinking. She was worried she would never see Puddy again. Irene is thinking of herself and not Puddy at this point~ but there is only so much I can say. I want to have puddy in the BEST home and I have found TWO!! I am to meet with Irene Monday and will know more then. Puddy has to be out of the home September 23rd. This is frustrating for me and I am working on a solution. Eric :confused:

lynnestankard
09-01-2002, 06:22 AM
Oh Eric {{{{{Hugs}}}}}

I'd hate to be in your shoes. As awful as it sounds, no-one knows how long Irene has left herself - then poor Puddy has to go through all this again. She has to think of the happiness of the cat surely. And then I can understand how she'd be feeling lonely. Judgement of Solomon Needed Here!

Thoughts are with you. Good Luck for the new shop.

Love Lynne

Eric
09-01-2002, 08:15 AM
You are so right Lynnestankard. I think of that also, she is 85.
She has never had an animal before in her life. She was with me when the Vet gave Freddy the shot. She felt things then for a little animal, she has not felt before. She learned to love Freddy. With out Puddy ~she is alone. This is a tough call even for Solomon. I will just have to see how she feels Monday. I have just let things go for the weekend . Let her think about this. I DON'T want this lady sad either. But keeping Puddy is not an answer that I feel is best for Puddy!!!! I never dreamed this would be the outcome :confused:

Karen
09-01-2002, 10:58 AM
Our prayers will be with you, Puddy AND Irene.

Eric
09-04-2002, 08:42 AM
Hello All
I spoke with Irene at length yesterday and feel better about this decision. " she is keeping Puddy"
Donna {Moosmom} made it to Michigan and will be posting soon. I wanted another home for Puddy either with Donna or Becky in Iowa but the universe had other plans I guess. I just wish Irene would have decided this in the beginning. I asked her a hundred times if there was any way she could take Puddy and Freddy. Now she has changed her mind. Puddy is only 4 years old and Irene is 85. I am going to help Irene in the future and if anything happens ~ I stand ready to take Puddy myself ~~~ This is the best I can do. I am disappointed, but Puddy is not my cat and I have done all I can. I am so thankful for all the new friends from this Post and will stay in contact with all of you.
It is wonderful to know there are so many of you who cared { over 3000 hits on the Freddy post WOW } so many loving caring souls who have tried to help ~ who have given there Love and support for Freddy and Puddy and ME !!! I will NEVER forget all the kindness and Emails. Never!!! I will go on with my rescues after a few day off with Mary this weekend to the beach somewhere in the Carolinas ~~~ MY LOVE TO YOU ALL Bari_d *** moosmom ~ Tubby & Peanut's Mom ~Karen~Randi~ lynnestankard ~Casper & Kitty ~Logan~ czicat ~ Abbie ~ sasvermont ~ AmberLee ~ wolflady ~ and many more ~~~ Your support has meant the world to me and Freddy & Puddy. Freddy did get his forever home. He is free now. :)
Blessed are the Purr in Heart ~ my Love to all of you ~~Eric Schickendantz ~ [email protected] Akron Ohio

"Anyone who has accustomed himself to
regard the life of any living creature
as worthless is in danger of arriving
also at the idea of worthless human
lives." -- Albert Schweitzer

Bari_d
09-04-2002, 09:12 AM
I realize that the time we spend spinning our wheels, i.e., such as the time put forth to find Freddy and Puddy a home, when ultimately they didn't either one need one, could seem "worthless;" however, we've met so many people who are willing to help in this rescue process as a result of our cry for help here, that there may be doors opened for other furrbabies going forward.

Eric, your fight against Akron (and now California) killing of cats has spread, and we pray there will be a change in those terrible laws.

Czicat's battle to save so many has been called to our attention and we will continue to help her in any way we can.

And there are more and more and more out there just waiting for a bowl of food, a loving pet and maybe a furrever home. Thanks to everyone for fighting these battles...it DOES make a tremendous difference.

I will remove Puddy's web page for now. If any of you need a special web page put out there for a special cause, that's what I am here for!!!! I have plenty of room to put many, many pages...photos, etc., so PLEASE ASK IF YOU KNOW OF A CAT OR DOG (OR OTHER????) THAT NEEDS HELP! It's at least one small way I can help.

Oh, on a happy note...our last rescue here at Cat Happy was the precious little Bailee... http://www.cathappy.com/Bailee.htm
She went to a wonderful furrever home last week in a house with only one other cat - quiet, and with a family that loves her. These are the "wins" we're always looking for. I hope you'll stop by her page, read her story and "enjoy the view!" I will miss this special little one very much, but there are always more with a need. (I have yet to remove her from my "signature" photos below...)

God bless you all....

Bari and the Pride

sasvermont
09-04-2002, 09:27 AM
I went to the above web site and wow, what a story. Made my heart enlarge, for sure. Gosh, isn't this what pets are all about? Finding a good home and living forever in the heaven on earth!

;)

moosmom
09-04-2002, 11:41 AM
Hi everyone!

Well, we made it to Michigan. I spoke with Eric yesterday and he told me about Irene wanting to keep Puddy. I was very disappointed that she is doing it for her own selfish reasons and not in Puddy's best interest. But things happen for a reason.

I wish Puddy a lifetime of happiness, although I wish she could've come to live with me and my brood.

To all who helped in the efforts, thank you so very much. It taught me alot about unselfishness in mankind and what wonderful, caring people there are on this site. I am very proud to call all of you my friends.

{{{hugs}}}

NoahsMommy
09-04-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Bari_d
Eric, your fight against Akron (and now California) killing of cats has spread, and we pray there will be a change in those terrible laws.

Can you tell me about these new laws? Especially in CA....I want to help....

Eric,
This is my first time one this thread, I just wanted to say how sorry I am for the loss of Sheba and Freddy. My first cats (the ones we have now) are only 1 and younger, reading about your experience made me think about losing any of our furbabies. I don't know how on earth you did it, I know God is watching over you. I pray you can only remember the good times you shared with Sheba. You are a wonderful, wonderful person. So giving to these litte furry angels.

Take care! It is an honor to know people like you.

~Kelly :)

Bari_d
09-04-2002, 01:38 PM
Here is what Eric and Czicat have posted in the past Sorry it is so hard to follow.

Basically Akron, OH and the LA/San Pedro area of California are attempting to euthanize ALL cats found running loose.

Bari_d

------------------------------------------

Here is the San Pedro Petition

http://www.petitiononline.com/spfcc2/petition.html

Feral Cat Caretakers' Coalition
In a message dated 8/21/2002 8:24:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

An update for everyone

Lauren and just returned from a very intense and urgent meeting with key persons who will be involved in saving the lives of the cats at White Point in San Pedro, California.The cats will be trapped by a private exterminating company (not Dept. of Animal Services). ?Refer to www.peninsulapetrescue.com
for updates.

Los Angeles County Department of Beaches and Harbors has hired them to remove and exterminate the cats. ?Mary Kaleta, the person who has been responsibly caring for some 60 cats was notified of this on Monday 8-19-02. ?Mary and the
ladies who have been with her for several years feeding the feral cats at White Point, went to an attorney this a.m. and paid $2,000.00 to see if an injunction could be obtained to give us some time. ?It is Wednesday evening and they are to begin trapping and exterminating on Monday. ?As far as we
know, there are no guidelines on how they exterminate the cats as they are not under city jurisdiction, such as Department of Animal Services, where they would be taken to a shelter.

In addition to maintaining and managing her feral cat colony, Mary has spent a considerable amount of time and money to build little insulated shelters to blend in with the environment into the large boulders on the beach. ?It took several months of measuring, etc., to provide a safe and warm place for the
cats to stay. ?This was authorized and given the go ahead by Dan Knapp.
?The lifeguard, Kenny Atkins, who has just recently come to this beach, pulled out and destroyed all of the shelters she had worked so hard to put in place. He is also the person who has instigated this entire pogrom. ?We are not clear as to what his motives are.

It was heartbreaking to see the cats hiding in the boulders without proper shelter with winter coming. ?Under the best circumstances, their lives are meager and they look forward to their food and shelter and the loving care of the caretaker to go there every morning, rain or shine, to put out their food. ?The beach is mainly rocks and tide pools, not much of a sandy area.
?
You would hardly know they were there and have been for 20 years in comparative peace - until now.
If you would like to comment on the petition, you can contact
the author of the petition by email, at:

Mary Kaleta, [email protected]

Eric
09-05-2002, 08:11 AM
I looked at all the caged animals in
the shelter...the cast-offs of human
society. I saw in their eyes love and
hope, fear and dread, sadness and
betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said,
"this is terrible! Why don't you do
something?" God was silent for a moment,
and then spoke softly, "I have done
something. I created you."
-- Author: Jim Willis

Bari_d
09-05-2002, 09:07 AM
What great words...I have added them to my Rescue Links Page http://www.cathappy.com/Rescue.htm

Bari et al

wolflady
09-05-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Eric
I looked at all the caged animals in
the shelter...the cast-offs of human
society. I saw in their eyes love and
hope, fear and dread, sadness and
betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said,
"this is terrible! Why don't you do
something?" God was silent for a moment,
and then spoke softly, "I have done
something. I created you."
-- Author: Jim Willis

What a neat quote!! I have seen it in action through you, Eric as well as other members here on PT and those involved in rescue all over the US. Seeing people like you and the others really does give me some hope, and I am honoured to know you all :) I'm sorry that moosmom couldn't take Puddy! I was so hoping she could, but at least Puddy still has a home. Like Bari said in her post, even though in the end Puddy didn't need a new home, the fact that so many people banned together is a blessed thing and all of you are the greatest! This is why PT is a haven for me...because there are so many angels on board:D

**hugs**
Karen

NoahsMommy
09-05-2002, 11:23 AM
Thank you so much for this information! I sent the petition and the site to everyone I know. I'm going to send it home as well so that I can send it to my family and other contacts I have on our home computer.

I was in tears while reading the the website information...the people out there, for all these cats are amazing. God Bless them!

If you don't mind, I'm going to put this link in Cat General and General to get it more exposure...

Bari_d
09-06-2002, 08:40 AM
The Citizens for Humane Animal Practices (CHAP) in Akron, OH tell the abominable story of the feral cats' situation in Akron (the ordinance, etc.).

http://www.saveourcats.org/

Their fight is equally as difficult in Ohio as in California...sharing their stories anywhere you can would be great...I know Eric would encourage you to do so...thanks.

Bari

Cataholic
09-06-2002, 03:01 PM
Eric,
I am so sorry about your recent losses. I have tears in my eyes knowing your pain. Know that your experience will send me home tonight to love my kitties more than I already do, and not take their loyal and never changing love for granted. I can imagine your babies are in that special place, looking down on you and over you, blessing you for all the good things you do.
Cataholic

Eric
09-07-2002, 02:07 PM
Thank You Cataholic ~ I will be at the beach for a week :cool: and will not even look at a computer :D ~ I hope I don't find any new fur friends on my trip :eek: ~ but one never knows ~ Lol ~ I have a new Feral group to take care of when I get back. I will need the rest ~~ Puddy is moving to Irene's this week and I hope all goes well for them ~~ will post when I get back on the 15th ~~ Blessings & Namaste Eric

Bari_d
09-07-2002, 04:58 PM
Eric, I thought your tan looked a little weak...LOL! You and Mary enjoy yourselves...You've earned the rest and a chance for a little personal happiness.

God bless...

Bari

Eric
09-18-2002, 09:46 AM
Hello Friends
Back from my trip ~ Had a bad storm ~ But Mary and I had a nice time at the Outer Banks N.C. ~~~
Puddy is doing well at Irene's ~ she is adjusting to her new home ~ AND Irene is adjusting to having her first cat. I am watching this carefully and have Puddys interest at heart. I also am having Irene leave Puddy to me in her Will. Puddy is 4 years and Irene is 85. One never knows ~ So I guess, for now, all is well for Puddy ~ Namaste Eric

Logan
09-18-2002, 09:52 AM
Excellent news, Eric, and welcome home! I love the Outer Banks.....such a beautiful place. Glad you had a good trip over there.

Logan

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-18-2002, 09:59 AM
Welcome back, Eric. :) Glad you had a nice vacation! And I'm glad you got Irene to leave Puddy to you in her will. That way there will be no question about Puddy's future if and when it's time for Irene. Can't wait to hear about your next "project." :)

Bari_d
09-18-2002, 12:28 PM
Eric, the will idea is just the BEST NEWS!!!! Now we know Puddy will be watched out for. Bless you, my friend...you are totally COOL!

Bari and the Pride

moosmom
09-18-2002, 04:31 PM
Eric,

That is WONDERFUL news!!! I hope you had a nice, restful vacation, aside from the weather. Welcome back!!!

Cataholic
09-18-2002, 04:52 PM
I am often asked if my clients can include their pets in their wills. My answer is always a resounding yes! More importantly, I also mention to make a specific bequest of money to "Aunt So and So the care and upkeep of pet". Sometimes that makes a difference.

lynnestankard
09-19-2002, 03:24 AM
Welcome Back Eric and Mary - great news about the will - what a good idea. I bet Irene is secretly relieved to have you 'popping in' to keep an eye an Puddy - - - and her!

Lynne

moosmom
09-19-2002, 09:39 AM
Eric,

After I talked to you and you mentioned the will, I immediately went into my locked box and checked my will to make sure my cats would be cared for. Sure enough, they'll be provided for. My friends in CT have offered to take them in if anything happens to me. What a relief.

czicat
09-19-2002, 10:58 AM
this might be a good time to point out the legal view of animals:

unfortunately, in many states animals are still regarded as personal property, with no independent legal rights. it is not enough to have friends "offer" to take our animals in the event that we are no longer able to take care of our pets. all the legal hoops must be jumped through--every detail must be stipulated, and the arrangement with future caretakers needs to be formalized. i can't count the number of times a pet owner has died, believing that the animals would be properly attended to, only to have the new "attenders" decide now that they really don't want to care for the animal after all--it's one thing to talk the talk (easy to do at the time), and completely another to walk the walk.

this is less likely to happen with a formal agreement--who will retrieve the animal, who will transport if necessary, has there been a financial plan put in place by the estate to provide care for the animal, if the animal must be boarded until transport is available, who will pay for it? etc. make sure your closest survivors know of your plan, as it may be many days before the will is executed.

i hate to be a soldier at an ice cream social, but this is the way our world is. it is up to us to make sure everything is in place before we die.

lots of animal organizations have more information on this matter, including ASPCA, HSUS, Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, Animal Legal Defense Fund, etc. some even provide forms you can fill out.

just a word to the wise.

catherine

Cataholic
09-19-2002, 11:10 AM
In follow up to Czicat's post, a will is just a 'suggestion'. By that I mean even if you formalize the arrangement- the recipient, beneficiary, trustee, has the right to refuse the gift, responsibility, etc.

There isn't really any positive way to say this but, if you intend to 'leave' your pet with someone after you die, leaving the person or organization MONEY specifically desginated for the care, upkeep, maintanence, etc., goes a long way to effecting your wishes. "and to Aunt Mary, I leave $1000.00, payable in yearly installments for the care, upkeep, etc., of my dear pet cat. Should Aunt Mary decide she is no longer able to care for Ci-Ci, then this gift lapses, and..."

Something like this is necessary. THIS IS NOT THE EXACT WORDING I WOULD USE, AND IS NOT LEGALLY SUFFICIENT, AND SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE...ETC., ETC., EVERYONE SHOULD TALK TO AN ATTORNEY IN THEIR JURISDICTION TO BEST EFFECT THEIR WISHES. Sorry, but I have to include that part...he he he...

moosmom
09-19-2002, 12:40 PM
Mine are all covered and I made damn sure of it. After being in animal rescue for over 5 years and seeing well intended family members dump their relatives pets at the Humane Society and pounds because they don't want to be bothered with "fluffy", I wasn't taking any chances.

Eric
09-19-2002, 05:29 PM
Well~ Looks like I started a landslide ~ Lol ~~
I agree with Cataholic {an Attorney Huh} and Cizcat ~ But, In my case and Puddys ~ I am not going to drag Irene to an Attorney or ask for money to keep Puddy ~This is not my place~ BUT! I'm am going to ask Irene if she has talked to the Attorney about Puddy, and ask again if need be ~ and I will keep In touch with Irene in the years to come. She knows who was there for Freddy and Puddy and who was not ~ I am only a rescue person in this picture. I do not own Puddy.
But this Issue is very Important ~ If not for Irene, Freddy & Puddy would have been put to sleep ~ Rays {Freddy&Puddys owner} death bed wish to Irene, was NOT on paper. I myself do not have a written "will" provision {only a letter} for my fur kids ~ but will by next week. Thanks guys

czicat
09-19-2002, 06:23 PM
this was perhaps the wrong forum to post to. i thought since we were talking about wills and cats, it might be a good idea to remind readers that a will doesn't automatically mean success.

one other idea i might mention--

as a further caution, i have binder-clipped to my driver license the following message:

i have animals waiting for me at home. in the event i will not be back with them today, please call:
(names and phone numbers of three friends who know what my plan is in case i die or am incapacitated and leave animals waiting for me)

each of my pet friends gets one of these cards every Christmas.

the best we can hope for is that an ethical, responsible person finds this notice and acts on it, if and when the time comes.

cat ^..^

Abbie
09-20-2002, 10:54 AM
Welcome home Eric. It is good to know that Puddy has a good home with Irene and that you are watching out for them. As to wills and so on, it certainly is good to mention your furry ones in your will and to attempt to be certain that someone will steop in to care for them.

It is also interesting to note that in some communities if a person is incapacitated and the animal shelter is aware, the shelter will pick up and babysit the animal until the human bean is home from the hospital, nursing home or whatever. I found this out in my community quite by accident. Something worth checking out where you all live.

The note attached to driver's license is an excellent idea. We have a friend who always knows when we go away and we check in when we get back home. If we did not check in as scheduled, this individual would show up at our home to attend to the furbabies. :-)

:p

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-20-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by czicat
as a further caution, i have binder-clipped to my driver license the following message:

i have animals waiting for me at home. in the event i will not be back with them today, please call:
(names and phone numbers of three friends who know what my plan is in case i die or am incapacitated and leave animals waiting for me)

each of my pet friends gets one of these cards every Christmas.

the best we can hope for is that an ethical, responsible person finds this notice and acts on it, if and when the time comes.

cat ^..^

This is a great idea and really hits home for me since I got Peanut when her first Mom (a good friend of mine) was killed by a drunk driver. Fortunately she had close family that knew Peanut was at home, waiting, so Peanut was immediately brought to one of my friend's sister's house until I picked her up. Since my parents and the rest of my family are in Wisconsin, I have a note near my license to contact them in the case of emergency, but putting another note there about the cats is a great idea. Thanks! :)

Eric
10-21-2002, 08:56 AM
I have been very busy with my business & Rescue and just don't have the time to post ~ BUT this is an emergency that we need to respond ~~~ The sick person and this act ~~ MUST be dealt with ~~ Please support the efforts to stop this person ~~~ WE MUST RALLY !!!! Eric

PS Puddy is doing GREAT ~~

http://www.msnusers.com/ADOPTAPETASAP/terrorathomeii.msnw

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: