PDA

View Full Version : Can Anyone help? - Sexing Rats

Aspen and Misty
03-03-2008, 03:18 PM
My babies are so confusing..lol. I have no idea if they are boys or girls. All the babies are over 2 months old and none have shown signs of being, um, boys. Does that mean they are all girls? I just have no idea! I've looked at pics online etc. and still have no clue.

Please help I feel so clueless, I've never had this much trouble!!

Ashley

Husky_mom
03-03-2008, 03:39 PM
I had believed it was way too obvious... but heres a link and now I know it may be confusing....

sexing rats (http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=18&cat=1804&articleid=2584)

another one (http://www.spoiledratten.com/sexingetc.html)

this one has pretty decent pics and evolution (http://www.afrma.org/sexing101.htm)

hope they help a bit :p

luckies4me
03-03-2008, 07:41 PM
If you post pictures I can tell you what each one is. I sex all my rats right after birth, just minutes old, and have only been wrong once with one baby. :)

Aspen and Misty
03-03-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm not sure if your post was rude, as in calling me stupid for not being able to tell, or if you were really trying to be helpful. But let me explain more..one of my three little ones, Dalton, was sexed by a vet when he first came to me at about 4 weeks old. She said he was a boy and he does have a bulge where boys should bulge and his stuff is spread out farther then a girls should be. However his umm, "bulge" never grew, so I got to wondering? Yesterday "his" tummy grew and today "he" gave birth. Now obviously she is 100% a girl, but, when I look at the pictures she does look like a boy the most, even now. Her stuff is spread out farther then a girls should be even when compared to my adult females her stuff is farther spread apart.

So maybe I am an idiot...

Ashley

luckies4me
03-03-2008, 07:44 PM
I think what she meant about being obvious was that male rats are very umm, well endowed per say. Meaning, they have very big torpedos! :D

I don't think she meant to be rude or think you for an idiot.

Aspen and Misty
03-03-2008, 07:46 PM
If you post pictures I can tell you what each one is. I sex all my rats right after birth, just minutes old, and have only been wrong once with one baby. :)

I was hoping you were back! I will try to get some good pics tonight and post them! Thank you.

Ashley

Muddy4paws
03-03-2008, 08:14 PM
No your not an idiot.

I think the above poster was refering to the male rats rather large testicals. lol With my 2 boys it was without a doubt they were boys because they were quite large lol.

Sometimes it is hard to tell, it all depends on the rat.

I'm mega jealous you have baby ratties BTW. Photos are compulsary if you have a camera :p

luckies4me
03-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Cool! I want to see the little fuzzbuckets. :D

IRescue452
03-03-2008, 11:02 PM
Do post pics if you can. You're not the only one to get confused, I just broke the news to somebody on craigslist that their new girl was indeed a young boy.